GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,066 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Darkest Night (Second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Price rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunnar Wortmann
Germany
Menden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, can someone explain me the high price point? This is not a thread about blaming,I just want to know.

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the price is absolutely insane even without miniatures. I have no idea why they are pricing it that high, because it doesn't have that many components.

This game has a board, couple of punchboards with tokens and while it has many cards, there's not THAT many to cost three times the price of Legendary Encounters (Alien, which also has a board and few hundred cards, though no tokens).

But what I think is happening is that they are recuperating the pre-production costs of artwork and graphic design. It is rather pretty overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunnar Wortmann
Germany
Menden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the art looks awesome,but with the minis I would pay the same price as my KDM core box...
Anyway game looks awesome overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prices aren't all about components (though these are very high quality with lots of cards).

There is a ton of game in there. Just sayin'.

--DG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$134 on their web site. wow.

Regardless, part of the higher price is probably that this is a low-print game. It's not a huge seller. 1700+ backers spent just over $240k. It doesn't seem that Victory Point is going to have such a large number of sales that they can sell at a lower price point.

I suspect that the price is largely a function of production costs and the small number of likely buyers.

I like that this game has such a large number of heroes. I've hardly come close to playing them all, but it takes a bit of work to get these many combinations to work. I think this gives the game a high replay value, in addition to the randomness of the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it for 2 weeks now, solo. And the more I play it the more I like it. It´s not that cheap, but for me it´s worth it. I think I will also enjoy this in multiplayer.

The rules are really streamlined, it flows well, it really tells a story - it´s just fun.

And by the way: the models are not Kingdom Death: Monster quality - but I like them nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gbeason wrote:
$134 on their web site. wow.

Regardless, part of the higher price is probably that this is a low-print game. It's not a huge seller. 1700+ backers spent just over $240k. It doesn't seem that Victory Point is going to have such a large number of sales that they can sell at a lower price point.

I suspect that the price is largely a function of production costs and the small number of likely buyers.

The initial kickstarter of a base game with expansions didn't start well due to a poor uptake and complaints about stretch goals being character unlocks. It was scrapped and rebooted as a big box version with all the expansions in one box and all heroes included - the stretch goals being component upgrades. This campaign too didn't have a great impetus either and at one point during the campaign it was suggested that only enough products for backers and a small surplus would be made, with any reprints not taking the same big box format.

The price point likely reflects the high cost of publishing for the campaign, with VPG trying to recoup some of their expenditure, knowing that supply is limited, as well as being several products in one. Much of the cost may also stem from the difficulty in tooling and producing the miniatures too (significant delays were had on this front).

My views of course, prepared to be corrected!

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
The Great Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
I play it for 2 weeks now, solo. And the more I play it the more I like it. It´s not that cheap, but for me it´s worth it. I think I will also enjoy this in multiplayer.

The rules are really streamlined, it flows well, it really tells a story - it´s just fun.

And by the way: the models are not Kingdom Death: Monster quality - but I like them nonetheless.

How many characters are you playing with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
About 30% above KS prices, standee version.

1st edition base game plus five expansions and other stuff.

I'm not to clear, though, what other adventure games are just as good as better for the money. Certainly Gloomhaven should be less expensive or the same price retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tekawiz wrote:

Four. And they are VERY different. Quite an achievement for such deceptively simple rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
bwort110 wrote:
Yeah the art looks awesome,but with the minis I would pay the same price as my KDM core box...
Anyway game looks awesome overall.

You can get it for much less at the BGG marketplace. Check my offer

EDIT: Sold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
I have no idea why they are pricing it that high, because it doesn't have that many components.

It would be acceptable if you just said you have no idea. I have opened my copy of the box and it is Chock Full of hundreds and hundreds of unique cards. I read all of them and that took a few Hours. Plus a gorgeous mini. Very sturdy box quality. Standees. Extra bags. That was just the quantity.

The qualitiy is also outstanding, clear texts, gorgeous pictures and iconcography, it's actually quite cheap for what you get.

Larkins quote of €124.00 +shipping is just price as new,
if with minis it would indeed be "much less".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
tekawiz wrote:

Four. And they are VERY different. Quite an achievement for such deceptively simple rules.

What difficulty modifiers do you use? For example if necro starts without a blight on every area that's dm-1 if i recall correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don´t use any modifiers so far. And I play with all map cards. Tonight I will play my first non-solo game (2-player). It really is a great game in my eyes.

And I also agree with you: for what you get the pricing is very fair. The artwork alone is great, and every card is unique, which works miracles for the whole atmosphere of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add that this game is very precise with its rules and card wordings. Plus the designer is super active in answering rules questions. So if you are looking for a game that is polished with its rules Darkest Night is fantastic.

My personal hate with Kickstarters is when a game comes out with wording errors and poorly written rules. Darkest Night is not one of those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
VPG games are known for their quality gameplay. They are also known for substandard components. Plus it's $100+ no miniatures included.
yuk
Hard pass. Sometimes it is "all about the gameplay", so a fair-priced copy of 1st edition from the secondary market sounds like the easy choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
VPG games are known for their quality gameplay. They are also known for substandard components. Plus it's $100+ no miniatures included.
yuk
Hard pass. Sometimes it is "all about the gameplay", so a fair-priced copy of 1st edition from the secondary market sounds like the easy choice.

This is a professional printing (as opposed to VPG's historical in-house printing methods). At least do some research before throwing out unfounded complaints. The components in the second edition are excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypto Waffle
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
ct5150 wrote:
yuk

this is about where i'm at. must say, i'm a bit shocked at the price. some cardboard punch-outs, a game board, some cards. $135, direct.

i really don't know where to start... i was honestly anticipating a third of that, perhaps a bit more. oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith

Medina
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cryptowaffle wrote:
ct5150 wrote:
yuk

this is about where i'm at. must say, i'm a bit shocked at the price. some cardboard punch-outs, a game board, some cards. $135, direct.

i really don't know where to start... i was honestly anticipating a third of that, perhaps a bit more. oh well.

You can get it from CSI for 99.99... Just add some sleeves or something and get free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:
The components in the second edition are excellent.

Compared to what??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
oduh wrote:

Compared to what??

I would imagine they mean in comparison to the first edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said - high quality & low print run.

I bought & love the minis. A couple are pretty crummy (looking at your horrible skirt Monk), but the others look awesome on the board. I'm also not much of a mini snob. I have my amazing KDM & CMON minis. Don't need all minis to be that good(It would be nice, but not necessary for me personally).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
ct5150 wrote:
oduh wrote:

Compared to what??

I would imagine they mean in comparison to the first edition...

I'd say approximately on par with FFG components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.