GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

MBT (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crops & Other level 0 terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Ital
United States
St. Clair
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing for a while, and always thought it was odd that Crops, brush, etc. didn't have any affect on same-level LOS. Could never find anything in the rules about it.

I was watching a youtube video last night, and he mentioned something about multiples of crops blocking LOS.

Mind. Blown.

Where in the rules would I find reference to this? I've scoured and scoured, and still can't find anything.

TIA

Jeff Ital
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
georgii2222 wrote:
Been playing for a while, and always thought it was odd that Crops, brush, etc. didn't have any affect on same-level LOS. Could never find anything in the rules about it.

I was watching a youtube video last night, and he mentioned something about multiples of crops blocking LOS.

Mind. Blown.

Where in the rules would I find reference to this? I've scoured and scoured, and still can't find anything.

TIA

Jeff Ital

I just asked a similar question on CSW, and the answer, from Jim Day, is that such terrain has no effect on firing or spotting (except Smoke, Barrage, and Fire).

I followed up asking about the design rationale behind that, as I'm curious about it since other tactical games usually do take that into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Capitola
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The terrain chart on the player aid card states that crops provide medium cover for spotting purposes only. Perhaps in the video line of sight wasn't so much blocked as just shortened because sighting was done through medium cover. However, I can't find anything in the rules about whether sighting through a hex that doesn't block line of sight but does provide cover affects sighting range, even for units located behind that hex but not in it. I've always played the game as if the effects of cover only apply to target units in the hex providing cover because the rules say nothing about sighting through cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayman66 wrote:
I've always played the game as if the effects of cover only apply to target units in the hex providing cover because the rules say nothing about sighting through cover.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LOS & Intervening Terrain

We're going to house rule the intervening terrain question as follows. We're playing this Friday, so I'll let y'all know how it goes if you're interested.

6.5.2.5/6.5.4.3 AP/GP Hit Modifiers

If a firing unit's LOS passes through any intervening non-blocking terrain, apply the worst such terrain as a modifier to the AP/GP Hit determination.

7.7 Limited Spotting

When using this rule, use the following:

1. When the unit with the best possibility is spotting, and the LOS passes through any intervening non-blocking terrain, apply the worst terrain's spotting adjustment, e.g., the LOS passes through two Brush and one Rough hex so a -2 adjustment is applied for the Rough hex. This is in addition to any cover the target unit may be in. This modifier does not reduce the actual Spotting Range; it only reduces it for the purposes of determining the percentage chance of spotting.

2. In order to use the +10 modifier for additional units, those unit's LOS may not pass through any intervening non-blocking terrain. Halve the modifier for each such hex the LOS passes through. Round down, to a minimum of +1, after all halving is done. For example, four T-72AVs are assisting a spotting attempt. Their LOS passes through two Brush and a Rough hex. Each additional unit's modifier is halved three times (once for each hex): 10/2 = 5/2 = 2.5/2 = 1.25 = 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.