Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to give props to The Game Steward. Ordered the Rising Sun Daimyo-level pledge from them last Monday. It shipped the same day and I had it in my hands on Friday. I got emails each step of the way, an immediate tracking number, text alerts when out for delivery and delivered. It was an A-grade experience the entire process, and has certainly helped me deal with any FOMO I might experience when considering hot Kickstarters. I was on the fence about Rising Sun during the window for kickstarting and got to wait until the final edition was out in the wild to decide if I wanted it. Definitely worth the premium price for that peace of mind. So glad someone is out there offering a service like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Petersen
United States
Stanwood
WA
flag msg tools
I've bought a few games from them....always had good service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
Its will alone snuffs out the stars and its shadow ends realities
badge
The end is just the beginning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used them once and had a nice, smooth experience as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Lafuma
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tolendante wrote:
...So glad someone is out there offering a service like this.

I'm waiting on my first pre-order with The game Steward. Feudum-Queens Army Expansion, and the communication has been excellent thus far.

Also, I've come across a site "Master of the Boards" who also carries post kickstarters, same as The Game Stewards and have ordered/received from them and had great experience. The owner John has been very responsive and great to communicate with. So far both these sites I've been visiting recently for Kickstarters I've missed out on. I have found Master of the Boards pricing to be very good. Especially for games post Kickstarter.

https://www.masteroftheboards.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
These aren't the droids we're looking for!
badge
Move along... move along!
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredibly positive experiences for me as well. Great addition to the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late to the conversation, but thanks to all for the kind words. Owning a game store is a bit of a dream come true, and the number of repeat customers we have tells us that we're doing something right.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made multiple purchases from this company and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Awesome service, super communication and the packaging is second to none. If i am on a fence about a kickstarter or just flat out miss it, this is the first place I check!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boxfetish
United States
New Glarus
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the sticker shock when I go to the KS page and look at how much less I could have had everything for if I had known about the KS.

On the topic at hand, I have had nothing but good experiences with The Game Steward.

I have a question for them, though, I assume the business model is "buy x-thousand KS pledges and then resell at enough of a markup to be able to run the enterprise, but have you ever just purchased a real stinker that you couldn't unload and lost money on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Just to add a counterpoint to anyone thinking of buying from Game Steward: I bought the latest Petersen Games release, Glorantha, from them for a, uh, considerable amount of money. The order consisted of six boxes, and they sent me duplicates of box #4 instead of boxes #5 and #6. They said they'd immediately send boxes #5 and #6 the next day. A week later, after boxes #5 and #6 still hadn't arrived. I contacted them and was told they forgot to send it, and they furthermore wouldn't be able to send it until the next week. Fast forward to the next week and they tell me they've lost boxes #5 and #6 and would see about getting replacements from Petersen Games.

At which point, they've been ignoring my emails asking for updates. I spent a lot of money at Game Steward and I didn't receive what I paid for. I still have no ETA for when I'll receive it, and their lack of communication since these repeated mistakes has me worried.

I buy a ton of stuff online, and I've certainly run into my share of complications, oversights, and errors. It happens. But the repeated mistakes from Game Steward coupled with the ignored emails is something I've never encountered.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,

I sent an e-mail earlier today, and just discovered this comment afterwards. We would prefer to handle this privately, but just to correct one point publicly - we did not "forget" to ship any package. We dropped off your package with the missing expansions with the courier as we said we would (along with a few dozen other packages), and for reasons we still don't understand, it was not entered into the tracking system, and is now missing. We have taken proactive steps to remedy the situation and find replacement copies to ship to you, although we understand that you are unsatisfied with our service to this point.

We will do our best to resolve the matter in a mutually agreeable manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boxfetish wrote:
I don't like the sticker shock when I go to the KS page and look at how much less I could have had everything for if I had known about the KS.

On the topic at hand, I have had nothing but good experiences with The Game Steward.

I have a question for them, though, I assume the business model is "buy x-thousand KS pledges and then resell at enough of a markup to be able to run the enterprise, but have you ever just purchased a real stinker that you couldn't unload and lost money on?

It doesn't happen very often, but yes, we've picked some games that did not sell well. The most notable example was Leaders of Euphoria (which is a great game!). It just did not sell well for us at all. 2+ years on, and we still have some copies in stock.

On the issue of sticker shock, we understand that reaction for some of the games we offer. Some publishers simply don't offer a discount of any kind (e.g. Monolith, Serious Poulp), but the demand is high enough that we buy them at full price, mark them up, and re-sell them. It actually pains us to do this, because we know a few notable examples will be remembered far longer than the games we sell at very reasonable prices. For example, Snowdonia Deluxe Master Set was $96 (with shipping) in the US, and we are offering the game for $94.99 (with free shipping in the US available on orders over $99). We are active in the KS publishing community trying to connect publishers with retailers in order to help bring prices down for KS editions, and we think it's starting to have an effect. But we realize that there will always be those notable exceptions - Monolith has made it very clear they will not work with retailers and won't put their games into distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls