GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Variants

Subject: Slight rule change for imho more fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Marbury
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I hope this is not a repost. My unprofessional search didn't reveal anything.

I am pretty new to Star Realms (playing it for some weeks now). And while I enjoy those quick battles very much I seldomly have the urge to really destroy my opponents bases, if I know that I can get my opponent down to 0 quick enough (and it is not an outpost of course). So my girlfriend and I started to mess with the rules a bit and we find that this slight change very interesting:

Bases (and Outposts) are not destroyed but conquered. That means that a destroyed/conquered base doesn't go to the players discard pile but to the opponents discard pile. This opens up some other tactics imho.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Stefan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First instinct I'd have is that no one would ever buy bases as you'd also be funding your opponents fleet if they destroy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would stop using the bases then so no not a real option here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm by no means an expert of the game, but this seems like it would make the game a lot more swingy. A lot of bases are fairly easy to destroy (many at 3 health or less) and if destroying them, meant losing them, bases would end up being a lot weaker and not worth paying for them in the trade row. I know if that rule was in place, I'd probably mostly ignore bases since I wouldn't want to lose them after spending hard earned credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question is - have you tried it? Go and report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd need to re-cost everything, since this would make bases less valuable. A game such as you propose could work, but the parameters would need to be all different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything posted so far as to why you would avoid buying bases and outposts with the variant as written.

To the OP, if you are looking at something like this, maybe play the rules as written, but if you could do twice as much damage to the base, then you could take it over. An example: If you own Mech World, your opponent would destroy it with 6 damage, but could capture it with 12 damage. If you do <12 points of damage this turn, your only option is to destroy the base (for this example).

Not sure if 2x is the right variable (maybe 3x?) or not. I don't know if I'd use this variant, but if the OP is looking for suggestions....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Maybe you throw in a "you must buy a base if you can" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Marbury
Germany
flag msg tools
doubling or tripling the Combat needed is definitely an option. Yes I am open for suggestions. That's why I posted this here
And the idea is in no way perfect.

I just think the following about bases: They are way to easy. Not enough nuisance. In the beginning I don't have enough Combat to get rid of any of the bases but enough authority to just ignore them. Further into the game I have enough combat to just chew thru them easily. Same goes for Outposts.
They should be much harder to overcome or at least do much more damage.

I am thinking about things like (in any combination):

- bases should be scrapped once they are destroyed and not return to the discard pile
- Combat they provide should be doubled
- if destroyed by double/triple the combat they are mine
- Defense value adds to my Authority. So I cannot loose, if I still have functioning Bases
- maybe a line of Defense? Cannot attack my Authority, if there is a Base. Cannot attack a Base, if there is an Outpost

With the original rules it is still much fun and a quick play. But I want the feeling of "Oh god, not a Base again". Currently I mostly think "Whatever" ... maybe I played to many games like Mansions of Madness, Death Angel, Pandemic and the like and am kind of masochistic. But I like a good tactic stress factor

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try halving the cost of them and give that a whirl?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the main annoyances of bases is that they provide ally abilities. If I don't destroy my opponent's base then I know the ally abilities of all ships of that faction will always trigger. Yes, there are some bases that I'll often ignore but if my opponent gets lots of bases then at some point i'm going to be in trouble. (Also Embassy Yacht is great against someone who never destroys bases!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
One of the main annoyances of bases is that they provide ally abilities. If I don't destroy my opponent's base then I know the ally abilities of all ships of that faction will always trigger. Yes, there are some bases that I'll often ignore but if my opponent gets lots of bases then at some point i'm going to be in trouble. (Also Embassy Yacht is great against someone who never destroys bases!)

i second this thought... bases have a strategic value for the faction triggers. if your opponent does rid of them, he will surely suffer....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, or another idea: instead of being discarded when they're destroyed, what if you put them in the central row?
That way, if you've got the resources to buy it, you can conquer it straight away, and if not, your opponent has the chance to get it back.

Should still make them cheaper though, if you'll potentially have to buy them several times, and they'll be much less useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Question: Are there any cards in the expansions that let you take an opponents card? Seems like a fun mechanism and I can't think of any cards that use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Question: Are there any cards in the expansions that let you take an opponents card? Seems like a fun mechanism and I can't think of any cards that use it.

The only thing that comes close is the Stealth Tower in the Colony Wars expansion. It allows copying of any base in play (think Stealth Needle for bases), but it can copy opponents bases, not just your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:

Are you familiar with the concept of loss aversion? On a deep, instinctual level, humans hate losing something that they think is theirs. When playing a 2 player point salad game, you will feel better if your opponent scores 5 points instead of your opponent making you lose 5 points. In fact, both effects have the same exact effect on the point difference between you (the only thing that should matter) but one feels much more unpleasant.

Let me put it another way, you know how bad or feels when you are in a close trade race and your opponent buys Brain World while you are sitting on an 8 trade hand? It will feel 10 times worse to have your opponent take a Brain World you bought.

Another deck builder I own, Brass Empire has a card that lets you steal an opponent's card and another that lets you remove an opponent's card from the game. I feel irrational fear and hatred when an opponent buys one of them. I did manage once to scrap the stealing card from my wife's hand. The sadness in her eyes at that moment almost ruined the play for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Myers
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with the caveat that you are obviously welcome to tweak the rules however you think is the most fun, strategically I think bases are frequently undervalued by new players because their printed abilities can initially appear weaker or overcosted than equivalent ships. But their value is more subtle, in providing defense (at minimum), and if left in play triggering ally abilities and their effects over multiple turns. A base left in play in the early game for more than one turn can have a huge swing in a game, like say a Barter World where you are starting each turn with 2 extra trade essentially (and triggering any blue ally abilities).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you can defeat your opponent immediately with your combat, you should almost always destroy whatever bases you can. Not only do they provide easy alliance bonuses to any matching cards in hand, but even if the effects are weak, the power of getting that effect every turn adds up quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Holden
msg tools
I think it is part of the fun with non outpost bases especially the Blob ones. You don't have to attack them but it could cost you to leave them alone. There are bases that do 4 damage - that every turn could be costly.
The Blob base that just gives one coin may not be up to much, but left a lone will always be there to trigger any Blob allied abilities. A player who accumulates enough of these bases (Blob or otherwise) can gain substantial advantages if nothing is done. Do you go for reducing these advantages or go direct for their Authority? That's part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In addition to what the two above me have said, bases become very powerful once you introduce cards that let you return a base to your hand. There are bases which give you benefits for playing another base. There are cards which give you benefits for having a certain number of bases in play (defense bot, embassy yacht).

One of my favorite ways to play is to overwhelm the enemy with bases. Either they spend all their combat on bases or I keep piling on the bases getting more benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.