GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,152 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a campaign mode? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wilson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The title here asks it all.

I've seen a lot of talk of scenarios and replayability, but I haven't seen anyone talking about what, in my opinion, is what this type of game is basically begging for.

I've backed the Kickstarter for $1 and keep waiting for "the campaign-mode stretch goal" or announcement, but I haven't seen anything. Does Conan have a campaign mode?

I've considered backing for the full game, but only if I can play this with my girlfriend and our friends through an Imperial Assault–style campaign. Imperial Assault is her favorite game, and Batman is one of her favorite characters, so this would be a perfect fit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is currently no campaign mode, or any plan to add one to this KS. Each scenario uses different heroes, so it would probably be difficult with the existing scenarios.

However, I would not be surprised to see official and/or homebrew campaigns be released after the KS ends.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it sounds like you want a different game. This is not that game. On the other hand, I suspect the homebrew scene for this game will be very very strong. But that's a lot of money to spend on a maybe. I think you'd want to make sure you'll enjoy what you'll get before you start thinking about what you might get.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
I think it sounds like you want a different game.


I guess you're right. "Imperial Assault, but Batman."

That would be pretty sweet, if you ask me
11 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
France
flag msg tools
I'm currently playing the Conan campaign book, and I have to say I much prefer the one-off scenario mode. It's fun to keep equipment and gain energy bonus, but frankly it is pretty unbalanced.
The Conan (and Batman) system works best as independant scenarios. It's more like a strategy game, if you lose, you can chose to replay the scenario with another approach, or switch wich hero you play (or play as the villain, wich is my favorite part).

Something I'd like to see is a campaign driven story. You don't win XP or items, the scenarios are fixed, but you have a branching path depending on if the heroes win or lose. That could work and allow for an arc without unbalancing the game.

And yes, don't forget that the community will create many new scenarios. Monolith even print compendium scenario books for the members of the overlord forum, they did 2 so far and I have now more than 30 fan-made scenarios on print (wich includes mini-campaigns), on top of the 40 something official ones.
If Batman goes the same way, we will be set for life in scenarios and special modes for the game
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tshirt wrote:
Something I'd like to see is a campaign driven story. You don't win XP or items, the scenarios are fixed, but you have a branching path depending on if the heroes win or lose. That could work and allow for an arc without unbalancing the game.

This! This is exactly what I'd like to see. Hopefully, it will happen at some point.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
Mr_Tshirt wrote:
Something I'd like to see is a campaign driven story. You don't win XP or items, the scenarios are fixed, but you have a branching path depending on if the heroes win or lose. That could work and allow for an arc without unbalancing the game.

This! This is exactly what I'd like to see. Hopefully, it will happen at some point.


The TMNT board game did this. It was interesting, but it mostly felt like unrelated scenarios because of it. Then again, I also preferred this to unbalanced scenarios and I didn't mind them feeling unrelated.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really want to start out as a week batman?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Eystein
msg tools
Well, we already have three Batmans (Batmen?), so you could start out as zero year Batman and end up as Dark Knight Batman..

I don't think Monolith should do this, they should make solid, balanced scenarioes, but it's a great idea for fan-made content...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
There is currently no campaign mode, or any plan to add one to this KS.


Do you have a source for this information? Because I read somewhere that while the game wasn't intended to be campaign driven like various other games, there would be some linked scenarios that form mini campaigns as such.

There won't be any character progression, but there can still be story progression.

There was another post where they mentioned how you could battle Red Hood at the ACE Chemical Factory, and later lead to dealing with the joker there.

So I wouldn't say it's true to say there's no campaign play. It's just not campaign focused.

Official word:

badgerthebrave wrote:
All of the scenarios will be playable as one-shots. But there will be a few that are linked, as in the Wayne Manor expansion. Bruce is attack in his home in one scenario. Then as he suits up on entering the Batcave, the fight continues in a second.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

Do you have a source for this information? Because I read somewhere that while the game wasn't intended to be campaign driven like various other games, there would be some linked scenarios that form mini campaigns as such.


KS FAQ wrote:

Q:Will there be a campaign mode offered during the Kickstarter?
A:No, we are not offering a campaign mode in this Kickstarter. We wanted to focus our efforts on creating numerous tight and balanced scenarios. Adding a complete campaign mode takes very careful planning and can be constricting to the freedom of our designers. We know that many like this kind of play mode and it's something we're keeping in mind, but we're staying away from it at the moment.


That being said, I think you're right that there will be some story progression in some cases. But I don't think that is what the OP is referring to.

EDIT: Looks like you ninja'd me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Conan and Batman are not the kind of games that really work with campaigns.

These are essentially asymetric skirmish games and not really dungeon crawls.

In a weird way, i see them as cousins of tower defense games. In most scenarios (at least in Conan), the heroes have an objective and are moving straight through the overlord's defenses and the overlord tries to stop them... sometimes bringing new units in play as reinforcements against the heroes onslaught.

Also see Space Hulk and Claustrophobia for similar experiences.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
Do you really want to start out as a week batman?


Got to start out at a week to get to year one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
typo360 wrote:
Do you really want to start out as a week batman?


Got to start out at a week to get to year one.


Week Batman and Year One Batman are just screaming for Calendar Man as a villain.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kess Co
United States
California
flag msg tools
I backed a game that's awaiting fulfillment called Street Masters. It's a co-op fighting game (like street fighter meets double dragon) that has a nice looking solo mode utilizing allies versus the game. The developers showed us both a story mode and a hero story mode that are like branching campaigns that award or punish the player depending on how they do, and of course there's context to go along with it. I haven't played the game personally but went through the rulebook on their BGG. It's probably the game I'm most excited about getting this/next month. If Batman could do a solo mode like this, I would throw more money at it now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
typo360 wrote:
Do you really want to start out as a week batman?


Got to start out at a week to get to year one.


Week Batman and Year One Batman are just screaming for Calendar Man as a villain.


Condiment King. Or The Eraser.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
kessco wrote:
I backed a game that's awaiting fulfillment called Street Masters. It's a co-op fighting game (like street fighter meets double dragon) that has a nice looking solo mode utilizing allies versus the game. The developers showed us both a story mode and a hero story mode that are like branching campaigns that award or punish the player depending on how they do, and of course there's context to go along with it. I haven't played the game personally but went through the rulebook on their BGG. It's probably the game I'm most excited about getting this/next month. If Batman could do a solo mode like this, I would throw more money at it now.


Thanks for the details Kessco, that sounds encouraging. There is some discussion underway about how best to add a solo mode.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28501409#28501409

I am sure this suggestion could help fuel the brainstorming over there.

EDIT: I can't for the life of me find the 'add link to text'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is now an official campaign! The latest update adds a $10 add-on (included for free for all-in backers) that adds hero sheets for 7 villains and a 4-scenario campaign for them. It requires the VS add-on, since the heroes will be played on the river.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-goth...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
There is now an official campaign! The latest update adds a $10 add-on (included for free for all-in backers) that adds hero sheets for 7 villains and a 4-scenario campaign for them. It requires the VS add-on, since the heroes will be played on the river.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-goth...


So, to be clear, this game is about 1 (villain) vs Many (heroes), and there is no campaign on this regard.
But, they have released a campaign of 4 scenarios for 1 (hero) vs Many (villains), right? or they said "campaign" when they only meant 4 independent scenarios that can be played as a campaign (no progression for villains)?

Hey, I'm not complaining, I'm so excited about it, but it's weird.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They have specifically said that the 4 scenarios will be a campaign. I'm not clear on the details, because I don't think Monolith does yet. They did say that all 4 scenarios of the campaign will be playable with 4 players.

But the remaining 44 scenarios are still singles with no progression.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:
donnbobhardy wrote:
There is now an official campaign! The latest update adds a $10 add-on (included for free for all-in backers) that adds hero sheets for 7 villains and a 4-scenario campaign for them. It requires the VS add-on, since the heroes will be played on the river.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-goth...


So, to be clear, this game is about 1 (villain) vs Many (heroes), and there is no campaign on this regard.
But, they have released a campaign of 4 scenarios for 1 (hero) vs Many (villains), right? or they said "campaign" when they only meant 4 independent scenarios that can be played as a campaign (no progression for villains)?

Hey, I'm not complaining, I'm so excited about it, but it's weird.


There are linked scenarios for the heroes too (Court of Owls / Wayne Manor being one example),

Basically what is meant here by campaign is that there are scenarios designed to be played in a sequential order. Characters and equipment might carry through to the next scenario, but characters won't "level up" in any way. And you can still play any part of the linked scenarios as a standalone if you prefer.

In other words, some related scenarios form a story path.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm mostly going off of a single comment in the KS comments. My understanding is that in the 44 previous scenarios, they are all one offs. While the story might proceed from one scenario to the next, there is no sense of progression and you could do any of the scenarios solo and not miss out on anything.

Regarding the 4 new scenarios, Matt said this: "we're handling progression similarly in the Conan Community Campaign, that and special equipment."

I'm not familiar to the CCC that he references, but I'm assuming based on this comment that there is some form of progression involved in these 4 scenarios that does not exist in the other 44.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.