Mike Keller
Switzerland
BE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Namaste.

Some of you maybe allready heard about, that i work on a 2 player Variant for Agra.
If you are experienced with Agra as a 2 player game, you maybe recognized that it can be really tuff!
It can be like Chess where every kick-out of another worker offers the other player a new option. Everything is tight and player rather pay for Peon than kick-out workers.
So I just introduced a dummy-worker who is called "the Guard". He moves around the board and kicks workers ass, so they come more often back to the players.

It's not offical, so I just write it in here how this Variant works:

The Guard – a Variant for Agra

Recommended for 2 Players

Material:
1 Guard figure (a worker of a unused color)

Setup: Just set the game up as usual. Place the Guard figure next to the botanist (upper right) of the game board.

Changes: Every time in a players turn, between the Meditation- and the Actionphase, the Guard figure moves (it just moves over the Main characters, start with the botanist and then from the architect down over the production buildings. After the cotton fields, it starts again on the botanist).
The active player can spend a good to increase the movement of the guard:
- The Guard moves 1 step to the next Actionspace.
- If the active player decides to spend one good. The value of the good shows the maximum distance the guard moves additional to the 1 step.
Example: The Guard stays on the Trader and would move to the Sailor. The active player now spend a curry, which has a value of 2. So he could move the Guard over the Sailor to the Architect or even on the stone quarry.

On that space, where the Guard stays after the movement, the following happens:
If there is a worker (standing or lying) it gets kicked out. If the worker was standing the owner gets 1 favour for this. If the Merchant is on that space, he stays where he is. A player can place his worker also on the space where the Guard stays.

I would really appreciate if you would give it a try and write Feedback here in this Thread. As i said, it's not offical, but it's the plan to make this Variant ready and publicize it on the Quined Homepage.

Thanks in advance for your effort!

Greets,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
really interesting idea, I will definitely try it soon.
Two questions:
-does the guard get bumped or remains on the spot if a worker is placed where the guard is?
-you said that after the cotton field the guard moves back to the botanist. is this the case even if some of the advanced building are builded, or it moves to every builded spot on the board?

the main problem i found in a 2p game is that some spots were becoming "blocked" and I was forced to use the peon more than I would have liked, this variant would solve that completely! Thank you Mike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
BE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michele.

1. No, the Guard stay where it is.
2. The Guard will not move over the advanced buildings (so far). The main goal with this Variant is to free the Main Characters and the production buildings from workers.

Hope you can give it a try soon!

Enjoy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toad Bennett
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Freakgeims wrote:

If there is a worker (standing or lying) it gets kicked out. If the worker was standing the owner gets 1 favour for this.

Just to be sure, you get 2 favour if your standing worker is kicked out and you are already up to the 4th spot on the meditation tracker, right? In other words, being kicked out by the guard is the same as being kicked out by an opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renuka Govind
Japan
Setagaya
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 5 games of 2 player and 4 out of that was with the guard variant, can never imagine a 2p game without it. Initially we played without receiving favors for standing Workers and the guard would move before our turn. However, we changed it a bit and played it exactly as your current rule states, except we moved him after our turn was over and it has been a fantastic experience.

On the first game with the guard we had a confusion as whether we are allowed to go to the same location the guard was standing or guarding and didn't go there. But the game felt different and restrictive and not the Agra we enjoyed, so I think next time we ignored him there and went about playing the game regularly.
Then we tried moving the guard at the end of a player's turn, which was our favorite way to play but we would easily forget to move him as we are planning our game.
Your current rule I think will fix this, moving the guard in between meditation and action. So he would move after meditation phase.

I feel this will add a nice layer of planning during meditation phase because you know where the guard will move, giving you favors to use and that's really interesting.

A quick question, say I have the cook notable then does that mean when guard kicks a standing worker the bumped worker goes to the cook? I believe the answer is yes, however would like to hear from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
BE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You just receive favour as you would get kicked out by another player (1 or 2 after the 4th step on the MT).

Maybe the Cook is to strong of you could kick out our own workers to get both (meditation and favour). I think i would restrict it to just if another player kicks out a worker of yours. But please give it a try and write it here, Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toad Bennett
United States
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I are just beginning; we have only played once, yesterday. We were playing with the Guard, but without the option of spending a good to move it further--just to keep the variant simple, with so many things to think about on a first play.

I can easily see why the Guard is needed in 2p, and I thought it played very well. Every part of the rule--moving after Meditation, staying only in the first 8 spaces, not blocking the space it's sitting in--seemed perfect to me. Even as we played without that option of losing a good to change the Guard's movement, it was a big part of tactics; you time your actions to let it bump your workers. It becomes a significant part of the game, in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we tried the variant today. I am amazed by how much such a simple variant makes the game smoother. we used to take 2:30/3:00h for a 2p game, this time we finished in about 1:15h. It probably is due, in part, by our experience with the game (we have ~7/8 plays now), but the variant gave me the possibility to take some actions (the builder for example) more often even if my girlfriend was trying to keep it blocked (it was not worth to use the peon for me on that action).

I honestly thought that no one would spend goods to move the guard further. Until I actually did it and managed to finish the game one turn earlier because of it.

I really liked the variant and I am gonna use it every single time I play with 2p.
It is quite simple on its own, but it adds an extra layer of complexity when combined with everything else (like everything else in the game).

this game is the definition of holistic, the only sad thing is that this makes the entry barrier quite high, and a lot of people will judge the game as overwrought after their first game and never play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rubin
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Justin and Max Games on Youtube and Facebook!
mbmbmbmbmb
Works very well as written. We also played where Guard moved once every ROUND and accepted no bribes - also worked. We also tried where it moved every ROUND and each player could bribe with rupees (1 each if a player saw fit). It's a great concept to have in any way and dimension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I was saving to become a doctor or lawyer...but this was a chance for world peace.
mbmbmbmbmb
^ Bribing with actual rupees. Clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.