GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,451 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: On the Fence About these Games (why should I buy them?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ya’ll!
Have you ever run into a game where, upon investigation, you still were unsure? That happens to me often, and I want to tip the scales one way or the other all at once (at least with these ones I could remember).
The Red Dragon Inn I have seen around places, and the concept is hilarious. However I get the occasional snippet implying it’s not good. I’d love to buy Red Dragon Inn but I’m unsure.
Rajas of the Ganges I love the theme of Indian princes building cities and such, but I feel like the game will be hard to understand mechanically and I would simply be awful at it. Might find it hard to teach the rules too.
Grimslingers another ”I love the theme but...” game. Apparently it comes down to Rock Paper Scissors and I’m not sure if I’m totally comfortable with that, but if it ends up being solid that could be the deciding factor.

Samara is a euro that looks fun and has interesting mechanisms, but teaching/setting up is my concern.

More of these to come in future threads, I just don’t remember all the games I was on the fence about and did not purchase anyways or totally dismiss.
Thanks gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm unsure, I don't buy it....unless it goes on sale more than 50% off. Deep discounts and all bets are off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not every game is for everyone; every game will have fans and detractors. I don't care much for Red Dragon Inn, while I have a friend that's one of the game's biggest boosters. The best thing is to find ways to try 'em before buying 'em, if at all possible. (Conventions can be great for this!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Elankat wrote:
When I'm unsure, I don't buy it....unless it goes on sale more than 50% off. Deep discounts and all bets are off.

Right, and those games suck, pass on all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that if you have mixed feelings then it's better to wait for an opportunity to play it, or just pass on it. Too many great options to waste your time with long shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Elankat wrote:

Actually, one of your highest rated games was one of those. I probably never would have bought Suburbia if it hadn't been on a B & N red dot sale. Quite a few of the games that we really enjoy fall into that "was thinking about it and unsure but found it at a price too good to pass up" category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You are respecting your innate restraint and that's a healthy place to be. If you read reviews, the game's specific forum, or a thread like 'what dud okay lately' you'll find people talking about what they like in different games and you can compare.

I've not played most of those, only Red Dragon Inn. Hated it on first play; better impression on second and third games because of the group of people, not specifically the game. Considered buying it, but realized I. Unlikely to put a good group together to play it.

You can get past set up time and teaching issues when you assemble the right people in a group. I look at cost, player count, length of play, and replay ability. Assuming I like the game enough to want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Elankat wrote:
Deep discounts and all bets are off.

You are speakin' my language right there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Elankat wrote:
SuperGLS wrote:
Elankat wrote:

Actually, one of your highest rated games was one of those. I probably never would have bought Suburbia if it hadn't been on a B & N red dot sale. Quite a few of the games that we really enjoy fall into that "was thinking about it and unsure but found it at a price too good to pass up" category.

Sorry, I meant I totally agree with you and the OP should pass on all the games listed because they suck.

I say that without having played any of them, because when people ask these types of questions they already know the answer and want reinforcement of that, even if they don’t know that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
datpusheen wrote:

Rajas of the Ganges I love the theme of Indian princes building cities and such, but I feel like the game will be hard to understand mechanically and I would simply be awful at it. Might find it hard to teach the rules too.

That's the one you want. It's fairly involved, but you can figure it out. Being bad at it shouldn't really be a concern. I'm bad at most games, but I enjoy the challenge. Unless you're betting money on your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
datpusheen wrote:
Hey ya’ll!
Have you ever run into a game where, upon investigation, you still were unsure? That happens to me often, and I want to tip the scales one way or the other all at once (at least with these ones I could remember).
The Red Dragon Inn I have seen around places, and the concept is hilarious. However I get the occasional snippet implying it’s not good. I’d love to buy Red Dragon Inn but I’m unsure.
Grimslingers another ”I love the theme but...” game. Apparently it comes down to Rock Paper Scissors and I’m not sure if I’m totally comfortable with that, but if it ends up being solid that could be the deciding factor.

Samara is a euro that looks fun and has interesting mechanisms, but teaching/setting up is my concern.

More of these to come in future threads, I just don’t remember all the games I was on the fence about and did not purchase anyways or totally dismiss.
Thanks gamers!

I liked Red Dragon Inn, but Cosmic Encounter totally replaced it for me. I strongly suggest Cosmic Encounter, unless you hate sci fi themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most “hilarious” games are considerably less hilarious by the third play.

And unless you really like rock-paper-scissors, avoid games with that as a central mechanic.

That said I usually browse the comments on a game with ratings less than 7; generally that saves me a lot of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Elankat wrote:
SuperGLS wrote:
Elankat wrote:

Sorry, I meant I totally agree with you and the OP should pass on all the games listed because they suck.

I say that without having played any of them, because when people ask these types of questions they already know the answer and want reinforcement of that, even if they don’t know that.

lol!

That clears up some things. I thought you were basically saying that a game that someone isn't willing to pay full price for is a game that ultimately sucks. I do know some people who use that as a criteria...never buy something you aren't willing to buy at full price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
I agree that if you have mixed feelings then it's better to wait for an opportunity to play it, or just pass on it. Too many great options to waste your time with long shots.

Unfortunately if I’m able to play a game, it generally means either I own it already or someone at game nights owns it and generally the same people are present each week so there’d be no reason to purchase it as I could just ask them to bring it. If I want tp purchase a game, I have to get a good impression through video reviews and suggestion threads as getting to play it isn’t really an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rajas of the Ganges is the only one I would remotely look into. Red Dragon Inn is decent, but not much beyond that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
datpusheen wrote:

That's the one you want. It's fairly involved, but you can figure it out. Being bad at it shouldn't really be a concern. I'm bad at most games, but I enjoy the challenge. Unless you're betting money on your games?

It’s not that being bad at a game causes me to dislike it, it just doesn’t always help me like the game. My main concern is understanding it enough to teach it; I generally have to teach my games to at least one person every time I play. It’s not my ideal situation but it’s the situation I am currently in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I own Rajas and it’s a good game. It looks like there’s a lot more going on than there is. The symbology is very good and once you understand what everything means it’s simple to play. I can attest to not being great at it, but it is fun. The dice give the worker placement a unique feel and it certainly stands apart from other worker placement games. We’ve found it to start slow but maybe we just need more practice.

I’ve owned and traded away grimslingers. I think the less than stellar reviews for this one are justified. The art is fantastic and really does a good job of immersing you in the world, but the mechanics are lackluster- at least for the story mode. I found the decisions weren’t particularly interesting. I’d consider trying to get it in trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip Grimslingers. I like it but it's not a very professional game. Typos, errors, chaotic multiplayer and all.

I'll agree with others. If you're not 100% sure just skip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
datpusheen wrote:
My main concern is understanding it enough to teach it; I generally have to teach my games to at least one person every time I play. It’s not my ideal situation but it’s the situation I am currently in.

What's "not ideal" about teaching a game? I teach every game I buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
datpusheen wrote:
My main concern is understanding it enough to teach it; I generally have to teach my games to at least one person every time I play. It’s not my ideal situation but it’s the situation I am currently in.

What's "not ideal" about teaching a game? I teach every game I buy.

It’s more that I’ll have owned a game and brought it on and off for the past year and even with mostly the same people I have to teach it to at least one person EVERY TIME. I get nervous teaching games and sometimes don’t want to go through a learning game where I’m unsure if I should play all out or be a smidgeon nicer. In Dungeons & Dragons terms (not sure why I’m using this analogy), I’m more of a Player than a Dungeon Master, I don’t necessarily WANT to teach, nor am I totally opposed to it, rather to play the games I want to play I HAVE to.
Teaching games is dandy and all, but it’s not my favorite thing in gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.