GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
89 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

My Little Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: March 2018 Announcement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

We've been extremely flattered by the ongoing interest in My Little Scythe and its recent Golden Geek award. I'd like to especially thank those of you who have taken the time to reach out to me personally about the game.

One of the most popular requests has been for a link to the PnP files. While this is a reasonable request, we'd rather you experience the best possible version of the game with your friends and family instead of a 1 year old prototype.

We invite you to check back here in early May so we can show you how our little PnP project has evolved. We've put quite a bit of work into it--we hope that you will like what you see.

In the meantime, we'd like to thank you sincerely for all your patience!

-Hoby & Vienna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say "here" do you mean this specific thread, or are you going to have a new post that will trigger anyone who is subbed to the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Richards
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great retheme on scythe, I am hoping to play this with my kids. Well earned golden geek award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alina Bat
msg tools
Thanko you, we will be waiting patiently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, best wishes I’m sure the game will rock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Currently number one in The Hotness list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
When you say "here" do you mean this specific thread, or are you going to have a new post that will trigger anyone who is subbed to the game?

A new post. Also it’s BGG page will be noticeably different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marek jakistam
Poland
jaworzno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
Have you list of resources and extra contents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:

One of the most popular requests has been for a link to the PnP files. While this is a reasonable request, we'd rather you experience the best possible version of the game with your friends and family instead of a 1 year old prototype.

The reason people want the old prototype is the MLP theme, which you have moved away from. Unless that decision has changed?

Ther eis an interest in MLP for many, but not any other theme - I already have Scythe, and would play that in any other circumstance. MLP is the attraction, not a 'junior' version in general...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jonathan,

I appreciate hearing your point of view. I'd like to take this opportunity to once again confirm that we will not be using a My Little Pony theme and to respond to your other points.

When my daughter and I were creating this last year, this was her 'baby' and My Little Pony was what she and her friends loved. So we made it our own.

All of this attention the game has been receiving started rather accidentally, but now that we've committed ourselves to spreading the experience to other families, it would be wrong to use an IP that we do not own. There was also another reason...

We will certainly miss our beloved My Little Ponies, but we took on the monumental task of creating something comparable because it was the right thing to do for this game. We know through surveys we collect that for every person attracted to My Little Pony, there are people who enjoy the game play itself but who want a more inclusive theme. Our task was to create a theme that was light, had a wider appeal, and enduring (because like most kids shows, my daughter has moved on from ponies too). Most importantly, the game play has to be fantastic and yet also accessible. And I think the new theme is a better fit quite honestly.

In May, you and all others will get to be the judge of our work. Scythe is a great game--well deserving of your time. But when when you have friends/family over who want something lighter, I hope you'd consider My Little Scythe as well.

-Hoby & Vienna

Kelanen wrote:
hobychou wrote:

The reason people want the old prototype is the MLP theme, which you have moved away from. Unless that decision has changed?

Ther eis an interest in MLP for many, but not any other theme - I already have Scythe, and would play that in any other circumstance. MLP is the attraction, not a 'junior' version in general...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marek,

Thanks for asking, but not quite yet. There will be more stuff than the original PnP though.

wirusek wrote:
Hello,
Have you list of resources and extra contents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Moore
United States
Cairo
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Jonathan, the inclusive aspect is nice, but what I am REALLY wanting is explicitly the MLP version.

Is there really no way we can convince you to hand it out? I get the fact that the new one will have more updates and everything, but my kids are HUGE MLP fans and just a more inclusive one wont really get them to play this any more then the original scythe would.

Could you possibly be convinced to at least consider releasing the mlp one as well when you release the new one in May? I think you may be surprised how many people want the themed one even with the upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nathan,

I think what complicates things is that there's a lot yet to be revealed. I'd like nothing more than for you to see what I see and to experience all that our playtesting families have experienced. All I ask is for 6 more weeks(give or take)and you will be able to decide for yourself. (and let me know what your kids think too)

-Hoby

aielman wrote:
I have to agree with Jonathan, the inclusive aspect is nice, but what I am REALLY wanting is explicitly the MLP version.

Is there really no way we can convince you to hand it out? I get the fact that the new one will have more updates and everything, but my kids are HUGE MLP fans and just a more inclusive one wont really get them to play this any more then the original scythe would.

Could you possibly be convinced to at least consider releasing the mlp one as well when you release the new one in May? I think you may be surprised how many people want the themed one even with the upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peanut gallery Q: has MLP been pitched, and have they explicitly rejected the proposition? Thinking artist/creators would be a better start than whatever company holds it, as the former can use inertia to plow thru the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After I heard about Hoby's creation, I talked to Hasbro about it (I already had a contact there, so I figured I could help Hoby), and they said they weren't interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
Peanut gallery Q: has MLP been pitched, and have they explicitly rejected the proposition? Thinking artist/creators would be a better start than whatever company holds it, as the former can use inertia to plow thru the latter.

Hi Justin,

Like Jamey said. Hasbro also typically prefers absolute minimal rules for their target market. And unfortunately I didn't want to compromise on a rich gaming experience. Kids are capable of so much more (especially when it's fun) and adults shouldn't need to roll their eyes at overly trivial games. Friends and family belong together--the latest version of My Little Scythe aims for a very special sweet spot. You can let me know whether we've succeeded when it comes out.

And yes, I love what artists and creators can do for a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
After I heard about Hoby's creation, I talked to Hasbro about it (I already had a contact there, so I figured I could help Hoby), and they said they weren't interested.

What I'm getting at is that I would expect that process to go nowhere, while I would expect getting through to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_Faust (no small feat) to at least have the potential to go somewhere. Or someone like Wil Wheaton, etc. On matters of tightly-guarded IP, anything short of a blatant advertising product (e.g. miniatures) is likely to need a powerful advocate to get corporate approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
"Compared to You, I'm just a nighlight, against the blazing Son." --Jimmy Needham
mbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:

For some, maybe. I'd much, much rather see a non-trademark theme for my kids, so I'm looking forward to what they came up with.

My only hope is that this will be produced and I can buy a finished game because I simply don't have time to put a print & play set together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ngui
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

Will you have a re-themed Automa Print and Play cards for solo play?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexngui wrote:
Hi

Will you have a re-themed Automa Print and Play cards for solo play?

Thanks

Hi Alex,

I'm hopeful that you'll be able to find a lot to love in the new game.
(although there's nothing called an 'Automa' in the game though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Hoby.

Like many the MLP theme originally attracted me to this game, as both my kids quite enjoy the show. But I'm just as eager to see what you've come up with now that it's no longer an option.

This may be a somewhat silly question, but is the May release going to be a print&play game as well?

Looking forward to May!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marek jakistam
Poland
jaworzno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter love MLP. I really prefer this theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Dizzy wrote:
Hi Hoby.

Like many the MLP theme originally attracted me to this game, as both my kids quite enjoy the show. But I'm just as eager to see what you've come up with now that it's no longer an option.

This may be a somewhat silly question, but is the May release going to be a print&play game as well?

Looking forward to May!

Hi Georgios,

It certainly exists as a PnP already. I would love your perspective on something. If you like a game, would you wish it to be professionally published if the price was right? (as in, cheaper than it costs you to create)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wirusek wrote:
My daughter love MLP. I really prefer this theme.

My daughter still sleeps with a Luna and Princess Celestia stuffy when she sleeps, even though she no longer watches the show.

I'm obviously biased, but I probably couldn't tell you whether I prefer Coke or Pepsi unless I've tried both.

I prefer Coke btw!

-Hoby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
Joe Dizzy wrote:
Hi Hoby.

Looking forward to May!

Hi Georgios,

It certainly exists as a PnP already. I would love your perspective on something. If you like a game, would you wish it to be professionally published if the price was right? (as in, cheaper than it costs you to create)

In case you are not familiar with them Hoby: you could consider partnering with Print-And-Play Productions. They prepare print-and-play copies and sell them to those who aren't interested in doing it themselves.

https://www.printplaygames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.