GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,364 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Mordor hunt puzzle, and simulator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! Two things:

1) I created this Mordor hunt simulator:
http://irafay.com/wotr_mordor.php

It's far from perfect, and I welcome suggestions!

2) As I was working on that, I thought of a fun puzzle: assuming you and your opponent are fully cooperating, and you can control all random elements in the game, what is the maximum amount of hunt damage an eye can do? Describe what must happen to achieve that result. You still must play by the rules of the game...

I think the most hunt damage I've personally seen an eye do is 6.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. I use the Mordor hunt simulator from time to time. (I realized I was talking about the hunt simulator. Didn't realize you made a new one.)

I think the maximum damage one eye can inflict would be 15 corruption. That assumes the shadow somehow got all ten dice (maximum) in the box and the FSP moved 6 times in Mordor. They could move six times if they hit one red tile. The first 5 dice would be in the hunt box along with the shadow's 10. It does seem like an odd strategy to try to move 6 times (after hitting a red) with more than 10 dice in the hunt pool, but you never know I guess
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would have to hit one of the two non-revealing red tiles as welL. Perhaps you hit on and on they went, then the 4 blue tiles in a row, putting you at 0 corruption on step 4, then hit an eye for 15r.

Edit: the fellowship would have to start with at least 1 corruption, as the fact that the shadow was able to recruit mouth of Sauron and have time to put his die into the pool while fellowship was on step 1 would mean a turn had passed without moving. OR all nations are at war is also possible I suppose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Hi all! Two things:

1) I created this Mordor hunt simulator:
http://irafay.com/wotr_mordor.php

It's far from perfect, and I welcome suggestions!


Questions:

I am not sure I understand how it works. Could you add some explanations? What are the things in the right column? The composition of the pool? Then what is "Current Step"?

What does "Eye Damage is the same for each Eye tile drawn." mean?

How many Eyes does the SP play per round? How many dice does he have?

How many times does the FP move per round?


Tips:

* How many steps to Mordor are you assuming? 10? 11? Is there a field to edit it?


* You might want to split the Hunt Pool section from the other fields, for usability. Also divide the Hunt Pool section graphically in three: Grey, Red, and Blue Hunt Tiles, again for usability.

* For unique Hunt Tiles, a checkbox would be more user friendly than a field where I have to type something.

* For hunt tiles that are multiple, a drop-down select going from 0 to the maximum in the game would be much more user friendly.

* The page is initialised with weird values for the Hunt Pool, if I understand correctly. Why not the actual values for a new game?

* Maybe you could add special buttons to reset the Hunt Pool to the "original" version and the "full" versions, with all new tiles in.

* "Gollum never uses his ability." -> Would it be hard to implement this? If he never uses his ability, why is there a field for him? How is it relevant?

* "If the hunt pool is empty, currently the sim refills it with a plain 1 tile." -> Would it be hard to fix this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there a way to account for Mithril Coat and Sting?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to check it out and share feedback,
Flying Neko! I think the key bit of information that you missed is that this simulator is for Mordor only. Shadow automatically draws a tile for each step up Mount Doom. If you want to simulate what happens outside of Mordor, I built that a while ago, and it's here: http://irafay.com/wotr.php

I'll skip all your questions that seem to be based on that point, but if you're still confused after reading this, please let me know.

flying_neko wrote:
What are the things in the right column? The composition of the pool?
Yes.

flying_neko wrote:
Then what is "Current Step"?
It which step up Mount Doom you're on.

flying_neko wrote:
What does "Eye Damage is the same for each Eye tile drawn." mean?
In Mordor, typically Eye damage varies as you move multiple times in a turn. In this simulator, I assume a fixed value for simplicity.

flying_neko wrote:
How many Eyes does the SP play per round? How many dice does he have?
This is irrelevant in Mordor, and because I assume fixed damage for Eye tiles.

flying_neko wrote:
How many times does the FP move per round?
Irrelevant in this simulator, since I assume fixed Eye damage.

flying_neko wrote:
* You might want to split the Hunt Pool section from the other fields, for usability. Also divide the Hunt Pool section graphically in three: Grey, Red, and Blue Hunt Tiles, again for usability.
Good feedback, but definitely won't be implementing it any time soon. It's going to be ugly, but hopefully still functional.

flying_neko wrote:
* For unique Hunt Tiles, a checkbox would be more user friendly than a field where I have to type something.
Good point. I can probably fix that easily.

flying_neko wrote:
* For hunt tiles that are multiple, a drop-down select going from 0 to the maximum in the game would be much more user friendly.
Hmm. Interesting.

flying_neko wrote:
* The page is initialised with weird values for the Hunt Pool, if I understand correctly. Why not the actual values for a new game?
It's based on a game I played recently, which is why I made the simulator in the first place.

flying_neko wrote:
* Maybe you could add special buttons to reset the Hunt Pool to the "original" version and the "full" versions, with all new tiles in.
Yeah, that's a good idea too!

flying_neko wrote:
* "Gollum never uses his ability." -> Would it be hard to implement this? If he never uses his ability, why is there a field for him? How is it relevant?
Gollum is relevant because he avoids reveals on normal grey tiles. I meant that he doesn't use his ability to reveal himself to negate corruption. I could probably add a checkbox to have him use his ability all the time.

flying_neko wrote:
* "If the hunt pool is empty, currently the sim refills it with a plain 1 tile." -> Would it be hard to fix this?
Not too hard, and I will, but it comes up so rarely I put it at low priority.

savedbyhim01 wrote:
Is there a way to account for Mithril Coat and Sting?
I could, but it requires some logic. Maybe the simplest is "use on the first red." It's far from perfect (if Eyes have a high corruption value, or if there are no reds in the pool), but it's probably better than nothing.

Thanks for the thoughts!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, Mordor... right :D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated with the suggestions - implemented Mithril, Gollum guide, checkboxes, and spacing. Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.