GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,570 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Loot Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Weird consequences of event B4 (Max 2 compasses on main board) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
There's some weird consequences of event B4 that I'm not sure are intended, so I want to make sure this is the intention.

By literal reading of the rules:
- You can not have 3 compasses on the main island (event)
- This means you must always have 1 compass in front of you, which can not go on a landing.

By reading the placement rule/action on page 7:
- If you want to play on a different stack than the 2 you already had started on the main island you HAVE to take one from your player area. However, the event prevents you from taking one from your player area. However, you also can't move one from another landing, since that only happens "if you don't have any left" - which you do have one left! You just can't place it!

- The result of this is, that once everyone "commits" to 2 landings of specific colors, no markers can be moved on the board at all for the entire round. This means that if you have or draw cards which are not the 2 colors you're on, you can't play those cards except to do the small islands.

This felt really weird and "broken" in a way, so I want to make sure this is the intended consequence of the event.

I'm PMing Aaron Haag, thanks for your help.

Edit: Fixed from B5 to B4, sorry for the fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Weird consequences of event B5 (Max 2 compasses on main board)
I'm sure it is intended that players play the round 'as if' they each only have two exploration discs in their supply. Therefore if you have two on the board, then you are able to move them around still, because the third virtually doesn't exist for the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Haag
Germany
Muenchen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole is absolutely correct here. The intention of event B4(!) is that players only have 2 compasses this round. The wording of the compass placing rule on page 7 is a bit misleading here (the part in parenthesis that describes moving Compasses from other landings). Sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was guessing it's an unintended consequence of too-literal reading of the rules, and perhaps a weird translation...

Edit: Also yeah, it's B4... ugh, I'll fix it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
I read the rules as Cole had stated, as that one came up for us recently And any other reading of the rule made it silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.