GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Firefly Adventures: Brigands and Browncoats» Forums » General

Subject: Solo Experiance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of the Firefly universe. That's alone was enough for me to get Firefly the Game and Firefly Encounters. I skipped the other games as reviews were mostly negative to the point having 'Firefly' printed on the box was not enough.

I'm currently aboard and have an option to buy Brigands and Browncoats. Thing is, I'm leaving back to my country in 2 days, and back home it will be harder and much more expensive to get the game.

Since there are almost no reviews on the game yet, I'm interesting to hear from people who already played it. if I should pick it now or wait for more reviews. I get Rules are bad after reading couple of posts here, but rules is something you can solve after reading the manual enough time and checking the FAQ.

I'm playing both Encounters and Firefly the Game solo mostly, as my friends are not that of a Firefly fans. I really enjoyed the theme on both games, as it was pretty strong.

Encounters actually made me watch the show again and I liked the small details on every episode deck. Firefly the Game had this strong feeling of adventuring in the verse.

What I didn't like is that Firefly Encounters had too much luck factor in it. Firely the Game also have luck in it, but it's more balanced - If something bad happens, your can survive around it, on Encounters 2-3 bad Verse cards and your done for. I don't enjoy that 'Those 20 minutes of game are gone now because I was unlucky with card draw'.

So, how does this game hold as a Solo game? is it any fun? does the theme is strong here? or just a skirmish game with Firefly skin on-top of it? or is just another mediocre game that uses the Firefly stamp on it? is the luck factor here is big?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is strong. The models great.

Since the game is a coop it works well solo.

What are you looking for in a solo game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Mattias wrote:
The theme is strong. The models great.

Since the game is a coop it works well solo.

What are you looking for in a solo game?

That's a tough question. I'm guessing I enjoy Puzzles. My number one solo game would probably be Mage Knight. I like the fact I have a set of cards in my hands, some can be played for resources, some can be played for actions - and you have that giant puzzle in your hand and you need to figure out what's the best thing you can do on your turn. I don't enjoy when luck is a big factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Newby
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The theme is SOOOO strong...
I played a solo mission with just Mal, Jayne, and Kaylee. I think that's the sweet spot for playing solo - three crew. More, and you start losing track of things like keeping spacing, LOS, assists, and those pesky checkpoint events on the time track.

There's still a bit of luck, but given how the game is based on the skill rolls from the board game, I think you'd enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
nnewby wrote:
The theme is SOOOO strong...

How is it being applied? Just on crew actions? or perhaps you play actual skirmishes from the series/movie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
The theme is strong because of the casual vs heroic mechanic and the way the scenarios are designed (mainly stealing things). I just re-watched some of firefly, and it feels exactly like their heists. They sneak about, hiding bodies and trying to say the right thing (negotiate tests), like trying to be paramedics or workers from a party, they act cool, try to get in, get the goods, and get out. Though sometimes... sometimes things don't go as planned. That's when things go crazy, and it still doesn't feel like some typical skirmish, mainly because of their special abilities, and the fact that some can still remain casual and try to turn casual when not in sight of a goon.

I played solo twice with 5 crew. It was a bit to keep track of, but it was fun regardless. Maybe 3 is the right number. In one of my games, I had two downed crew members crawling to the launch pad, while the others were running for their lives, while Kaylee remained casual to move the goons away from us. It was quite intense.

As for luck, it's hard to say if it's balanced, but there is luck in this. Not only is every skill test a roll (like firefly), but there's also an event at every 10 spaces which forces you to roll a die and see the outcome according to the job. It may spawn goons, it may be good, it may force you to become heroic, etc... Then there's also some luck for the job itself, like when looking for the hostage in the 8 buildings in the rescue, you choose numbers from a pile and hope he's in that building. If not, then you move on to the next building.

I feel like the luck aspect hasn't felt unbalanced so far, and really adds to the unexpected elements giving each scenario a uniqueness and tension, and some replay-ability as well. Without the luck, then playing through there scenarios would feel a bit bland.

It's been very fun so far, once you get through the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Well, what bothers me mostly about for example Firefly Encounters, is that you can pull 3 bad cards on your first turn, have nothing you can buy on the Bridge, and you basically playing a game you know is going down to hill. I sometimes just give up mid-play because I know how it going to end. That's for me, is a bad luck.

Grabbing Alliance Patrol card when navigating the verse is annoying, but you can go around it and even win the game.

So - I would say - games with TOO much luck. Or luck results being too harsh you can't navigate around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
Maokai wrote:
Well, what bothers me mostly about for example Firefly Encounters, is that you can pull 3 bad cards on your first turn, have nothing you can buy on the Bridge, and you basically playing a game you know is going down to hill. I sometimes just give up mid-play because I know how it going to end. That's for me, is a bad luck.

Grabbing Alliance Patrol card when navigating the verse is annoying, but you can go around it and even win the game.

So - I would say - games with TOO much luck. Or luck results being too harsh you can't navigate around it.

The only instance where I knew I wasn't going to win with this game was in my second game with the timer. I knew I didn't have enough time to get my guys out of the building and to the MULE, and lost as a result.

I don't think the luck factor will prevent you from winning, it just may slow you down or cause you to fire your weapon rather than casually sneak about.

Even when you go down, you don't die, you're just down and out until you heal yourself (or get healed) and get back up.

I haven't played enough to know if luck would cause you to just flat out lose, but I can't say it won't happen. Like with any game, luck can sometimes be a hinderance, especially near the end when things are tight.

Though I think this is more luck based than firefly the board game with all of the moving parts. But there are also more choices to get around them. There's far more dice rolling, but it feels thematic and gives it flavour. I haven't played Firefly Encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really like this solo. There's a fun puzzle to moving your guys, manipulating the time track, switching to heroic if/when is best. More puzzle than typical minis games, until it devolves into a pure gunfight anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Sounds like there is more 'go-for-it' then 'dont-go-for-it'. I'll buy it, worst case scenario I can sell it later probably.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.