GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Chronicles of Crime» Forums » General

Subject: Print and Play in the Classroom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got a half day coming up and I'm debating on using the Print and Play game with my Geometry students since we'll have 30 minutes and halfdays often have high absenteeism. Some questions for those that have toyed with it:

1) Does the "Tutorial" have enough meat to it for them to feel they've accomplished something?

2) Is the first mission short enough to be completed in 30 minutes if I have the starting cards laid out for them and ready to go?

3) How much am I robbing myself of if I rocket through the first mission (ie the free one offered with the PnP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read, the tutorial isn't a real case and has no actual mystery - it's basically just to teach you how to "operate" the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
teekay 96
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tutorial will walk the students through the steps making it easier on you. There is a mystery to solve. It’s pretty basic, but can provide a challenge if you overlook anything. The game ends with four questions to see if you can solve the murder. You can always play through it first and see if it meets your needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vergonjeanne
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
We've got a half day coming up and I'm debating on using the Print and Play game with my Geometry students since we'll have 30 minutes and halfdays often have high absenteeism. Some questions for those that have toyed with it:

1) Does the "Tutorial" have enough meat to it for them to feel they've accomplished something?

2) Is the first mission short enough to be completed in 30 minutes if I have the starting cards laid out for them and ready to go?

3) How much am I robbing myself of if I rocket through the first mission (ie the free one offered with the PnP?

The tutorial is about to be even shorter and really provides very minimal challenge. That new version plays in average within 20 minutes. But it is really meant to be a tutorial

You will go through half of that first episode in 30 minutes, but I really encourge you to pick this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winnie
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We just played (2 players) this game for 8 hours yesterday and loved it. Thanks you Vincent and your team - it is a great experience.

Was wondering if there will be shorter/easier crimes to solve in the future for the days/times when we want to have a shorter experience but still do some detective work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vergonjeanne
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rollingwaves99 wrote:
We just played (2 players) this game for 8 hours yesterday and loved it. Thanks you Vincent and your team - it is a great experience.

Was wondering if there will be shorter/easier crimes to solve in the future for the days/times when we want to have a shorter experience but still do some detective work?

Thanks for the kind words Winnie! There is plenty coming up. But none will be lighter than 45-60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After receiving my KS copy in the mail I am handing off my PnP copy to a friend that is interested. Was curious if anyone knew what scenarios are compatible with the PnP version (as my retail/KS copy has a lot more cards/locations)?

Oh, and I have to say, the insert for this game is one of the best I've seen! It fits the expansions in the core box perfectly. And the plastic sheet that holds down all the cards is genius. Great Job Lucky Duck!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vergonjeanne
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jparkerweb wrote:
After receiving my KS copy in the mail I am handing off my PnP copy to a friend that is interested. Was curious if anyone knew what scenarios are compatible with the PnP version (as my retail/KS copy has a lot more cards/locations)?

Oh, and I have to say, the insert for this game is one of the best I've seen! It fits the expansions in the core box perfectly. And the plastic sheet that holds down all the cards is genius. Great Job Lucky Duck!!!

Thanks Justin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmik42 wrote:
rollingwaves99 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Winnie! There is plenty coming up. But none will be lighter than 45-60 minutes.

So somewhere in the KS was a thing about "Mission Builder" that would let us write our own mysteries using the engine/ app provided. Is that still in the works?

Thinking as a teacher, you have NO idea the potential for us to use this in the classroom as a tool to guide student work even setting aside the 'obvious' application as a means to teach deductive reasoning.

Edit to Add:

Last year I did use the tutorial as a 30 minute activity. On average it took student groups about that long to figure out the app, figure out the scanning and even then, most of them did not get perfect scores. There were a few nuances they missed. The "Gamers" did generally okay but those who weren't into mysteries tended to get the 'basics' and then quit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.