GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,436 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Dexterity Games with Magnets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, you know those cubes of 100 or however many tiny magnetic (neodymium) balls you can get for cheap? I was wondering if anyone tried to play some flicking games with them, and what was your experience like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The only magnetic dexterity game I've ever played was AttrAction, which is exactly what you're asking about: a flicking game.

I remember finding it fun, but like all flicking games it got to be a bit hard on the fingers. It was also a little annoying to set up.

Now that you've reminded me it exists, I think I want to give it another try sometime soon. I just wish I had a large enough table to take full advantage of the game.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexterity game with magnets sounds like cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Polarity is the one I thought about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured adding an image of the kinda magnets I'm thinking of would help, and along the way to finding one I learned they used to be sold under the name Bucky Balls in the states, so that might help too.

[ImageID=http://www.the-buckyballs.com/upload/201303/1363691684369348...]

Veero wrote:

The only magnetic dexterity game I've ever played was AttrAction, which is exactly what you're asking about: a flicking game.

I remember finding it fun, but like all flicking games it got to be a bit hard on the fingers. It was also a little annoying to set up.

Now that you've reminded me it exists, I think I want to give it another try sometime soon. I just wish I had a large enough table to take full advantage of the game.

~V

And yeah, that's the kind of game I was thinking of. It's just that those games are unreasonably expensive to get here (whereas they are mostly referenced in discussions here as thrift finds), and it's not like I know which one in particular I'd like to get (Attraction isn't the only game of this kind), so I figured I might get these Bucky Balls and play something similar to one of those games with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AttrAction is awesome, for what it is. My son and I have played it probably 100 times. I don't "flick", I "push", so it doesn't hurt my finger.
One time it took almost a minute for a magnet to finish resolving. Where it landed was juuuuust on the edge of another one's magnetic field, and when it connected, the pair was juuuust on the edge of yet another one. It was awesome to watch, you couldn't even tell the magnet was moving, except that five seconds later it was slightly closer to another one.

Annoying to set up? We just take the magnets, and lightly toss them or drop them one by one onto the table. I have an X-Wing square playmat, and that was our playing surface.

I know there are some more games that use magnets - one where the board is vertical, it's a chase-the-other-person game; another that's a maze like thing. Sorry can't help more :) But those aren't dexterity.

The thing about Attraction magnets is they are non-spherical shaped, and the poles are on random sides (ie, you can't tell where North is from looking at it.) So sometimes they attract, sometimes they push away, which is the fun of the game. I don't know how buckyballs work, it looks like they all attract and are round, so they would also roll a lot better than the attraction ones do. That said, if you can get the buckyballs safely and cheaply, it would certainly be worth a shot, and it would be fun (I would suggest creating a barrier around the play field so few magnets roll off the board.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Magnets The Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melody303 wrote:
Hey all, you know those cubes of 100 or however many tiny magnetic (neodymium) balls you can get for cheap? I was wondering if anyone tried to play some flicking games with them, and what was your experience like.

The magnets are pretty small. I'm not sure how well they'd work for gaming. Additionally, being round they're going to rotate and find the polarity which allows them to connect with another magnet.

They make ones that are a similar size and square. I suspect those might work a little better for gaming since they'll push off each other. But, I'd probably look for 1/4" size cube magnets:

https://totalelement.com/products/totalelement-64-n48-neodym...

I'm not sure how available these are though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a flicking game, but I've played Bellz!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ka'lide is a magnetic disc flicking game, pretty good time killer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
3+4MoreFun
mbmbmbmbmb
Another not answer is Yikerz! but it's more a careful placement game on neoprene. Other magnets and surfaces could work for that with the same rules though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig butler
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jishaku

The object is to place as many magnets on a board (basically an egg crate in a frame) as possible without any of them connecting. I found a copy at goodwill. For $2 it was some good (albeit frustrating) fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Boutwell
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that came to mind was something like Vampires of the Night from Drei Magier Spiele. Many of their games aimed at younger players use magnets in one way or another, even if not necessarily with dexterity. Titles that I can think of that use magnets include The Magic Labyrinth, The Enchanted Tower, and Magician's Kitchen. Hope that you find what you're looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would not recommend flicking BuckyBalls. They are too small and you will inevitably lose them in your carpet, under your appliances, etc.

Also I would be very careful with BuckyBalls if you have any children or pets. As a proud owner of thousands of them, I will tell you that they are amazingly fun to play with, but as a surgeon I will tell you that I have personally seen multiple cases of children having swallowed them, resulting in catastrophic intestinal injuries, which is why they were banned for some time in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You could try something like RattleSnake but there's probably a reason they went with the larger oblong magnets. But that's the extent of my experience with magnet-related games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could substitute Buckyballs in for the little white pieces in KLASK if you want to make the game significantly harder!

Pete (figures you couldn't get within two inches of them with them grabbing on)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Polarity is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.