GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,574 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles» Forums » General

Subject: Need More Game Boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its great that gamers will be able to sub in different teams of heroes and villains, but I fear that the experience may not be as appealing with only a limited number of game boards to choose from.

I understand that Monolith wants everything properly playtested, but it would be great to have additional game boards as stretch goals and invite fans to design their own scenarios to go with them which gamers would be advised to approach at their own risk. Any additional boards, with generic settings like the core set, would be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they've already made it pretty clear they will not be doing this. I think that's fine, it's more about the scenarios. Hopefully in the future there will be even more content for the game down the line and there could be some fan made boards too, which would be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want it for only custom scenarios, I believe there's companies that make generic boards.

Personally I wouldn't want them to throw in stuff just so fans can create scenarios. Maybe they could just sell a homebrew fan pack later that includes some generic boards, bat tablet etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit, I too would like more locations, but at the same time every other game I own (except Mansions of Madness) only has one board / one location, and I still enjoy replaying those.

Scythe, Dead of Winter, Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror, Viticulture, Pandemic, Clans of Caledonia, Lords of Waterdeep, etc etc etc, only need one board.

Gotham City Chronicles already comes with four, or seven plus overlays and tiles if you're all in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are several Conan boards which might work for non-urban scenarios.

Yes, I know that Monolith has made their position very clear, but I am hoping that they can change their minds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy if they added another board, but we don't need one without scenarios.
The community will surely come up with scenarios using the boards from Conan and MB: P so there's plenty of these already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
I admit, I too would like more locations, but at the same time every other game I own (except Mansions of Madness) only has one board / one location, and I still enjoy replaying those.

Scythe, Dead of Winter, Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror, Viticulture, Pandemic, Clans of Caledonia, Lords of Waterdeep, etc etc etc, only need one board.

Gotham City Chronicles already comes with four, or seven plus overlays and tiles if you're all in.

I hear you, but the games that you mention are strategic while Batman and Conan are tactical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:
Its great that gamers will be able to sub in different teams of heroes and villains, but I fear that the experience may not be as appealing with only a limited number of game boards to choose from.

I understand that Monolith wants everything properly playtested, but it would be great to have additional game boards as stretch goals and invite fans to design their own scenarios to go with them which gamers would be advised to approach at their own risk. Any additional boards, with generic settings like the core set, would be much appreciated.

They got quite a lot of heavy criticism after the Conan Kickstarter for providing content without direct, developed gameplay use. So they are not going to add in any content they haven't developed themselves. I suspect the boards are going to be surprisingly versatile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many requests done so far would be cool additions to the game but things are what they are: whatever the request, it will be denied because things are set in stone at that point.
Now it's more about evaluating if we want to pledge what we are offered than requesting new things to fit our needs.
We are accustomed to be able to ask for things during KS campaigns that could be implemented if the requests are popular enough.
Here, it's not a usual KS.
It's just showing daily what has already been agreed upon before the KS even started.

But yeah, more tiles would have been great (as a solo mode would have been too).
Let's hope another KS in two years will add those as expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gambit Rogue
msg tools
mbmb
I hope in the future there will be more iconic locations, but I understand that they don't just include untested locations because a generic map still needs thorough playtesting for line of sight, special movements, max size indexes, difficult terrain, etc and so that is why it won't be feasible in this KS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have 3 double sided boards for Conan (so 6 maps - less than the all in for Batman). I have never felt like it's not enough or that I need more variety. The scenario special rules change the way the game is played so much.

IMO the most limited map in Conan would be the one with two pirate ships. Looking at it, you would think that it would get repetitive. But a scenario where you have to storm each others ships feels completely different to one where you have to sneak aboard and steal treasures which feels different to one where you have to chase one ship with the other which feels different to the one where you have to sacrifice crew members to appease a giant sea monster (that one is particularly awesome).

I think that a game like Gloomhaven that has hundreds of map configurations but mostly involves walking from one end to the other killing everything on the way is much more repetitive than doing different scenarios on the same 6 maps in Conan. I don't see why Batman will be any different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:
mattpburgess wrote:

I hear you, but the games that you mention are strategic while Batman and Conan are tactical.

I agree they are different games, I don't agree that just because Batman is tactical that that means it needs more boards.

Again, I agree with you that I actually would like more boards, but my point is just that lots of games manage with one (or 'few') boards, and I think Batman will be one of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dakka Dakaa
msg tools
Rather than a continuous line of requests for more maps we should think about ways of getting the community excited about making some.

There has to be a large amount of designers and artists with some free time interested in this game and seeing it grow; plus we have the rulebook and the majority of character cards for stats so we don't even have to wait until next April to start. I bet as a community we could make four good maps and a dozen or so scenarios done before the game is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mebbe in two years Monolith will get a Spiderman license so we can get not just more boards but more everything! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Mebbe in two years Monolith will get a Spiderman license so we can get not just more boards but more everything! laugh

Could you imagine the mobility and movement skills they'd have to give spidey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Wooohoooooooo!!! to that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I just want Monolith to put another map in the backside of Wayne manor map...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColHammer wrote:
I just want Monolith to put another map in the backside of Wayne manor map...
Me too, very much so! I'm hoping it's a stretch goal.

Why this is likely: They said they would absolutely not make any scenarios as stretch goals, and then one suddenly appeared

Why this is unlikely: They also said all stretch goals would be contained in the core box, for everyone to enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Oh no. Oh man my wallet hurt just thinking about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

Oh no. Oh man my wallet hurt just thinking about this.

When you go with marvel then there could also be an X-Men boardgame and so much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh E

Naperville
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like how Battlestations: Second Edition did it. Smaller tiles that link together. I'd be very happy with smaller tiles instead of larger, so things are more modular. More work required for art assets, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derim wrote:
I really like how Battlestations: Second Edition did it. Smaller tiles that link together. I'd be very happy with smaller tiles instead of larger, so things are more modular. More work required for art assets, though.

More work required for scenarios, too. I don't think modular boards would work well with this system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
derim wrote:

While I haven't seen how Battlestations handled tiles, I have tried modular boards in many other games, and I prefer the boards in Conan (and Batman). Easier setup time, and better, consistent graphics on the boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
derim wrote:

More work required for scenarios, too. I don't think modular boards would work well with this system.

Yeah, I have to agree. I think modular boards could work with Batman, but a lot of the simplicity would be left on the floor. The Line of Sight indicators on the boards, for instance, wouldn't work when you rearrange the pieces, meaning you'd have to just keep things on one elevation level to maintain the current simplicity, or add some extra rules or indicators when you try to put multiple elevation levels in one scenario.

Plus, I think just being able to place a single board out and get going that much faster will be preferable. I have Imperial Assault, which has a bunch of map tiles, allowing a modular board (assuming I'm understanding the terminology correctly), meaning whenever I need to set up a mission, I have to find the correct tiles and make sure I've got them fitted together correctly. It's not a huge deal, but it still takes a few minutes to do, rather than the 5 seconds it will take to unfold a board for Batman.

The scenarios are going to be what makes a map feel different between plays, and I think four maps will be plenty for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah I have Imperial Assault and Conan, and i vastly prefer the Conan boards to the Imperial Assault boards. Despite the modular nature of the IA boards, they are an absolute pain to set up and keep organized, especially as you add expansions (I have several). The Conan boards are beautiful and the scenarios provide a lot of great variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.