GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,698 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Grant F.
msg tools
I asked a German game publisher to clarify rules for a certain game and they said there is a rule for the English version and also a different one for the German version.

I didn't question him, but maybe I should. Kind of wonder why his German version has a quite different interpretation of the same rule than the English version. It does matter in a game.

Has anyone encountered this type of situation?



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I asked a German game publisher to clarify rules for a certain game and they said there is a rule for the English version and also a different one for the German version.

I didn't question him, but maybe I should. Kind of wonder why his German version has a quite different interpretation of the same rule than the English version. It does matter in a game.

Has anyone encountered this type of situation?





Had that issue in Beastie bar. If you read the description of all cards effects in different languages, they don't all do the same thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actually yes
Bohnanza
apparently some version in europe has it marked as a 3-7 player game where my copy is 2-7. This was a while ago on a thread I can't find be the general consensus that was theorized was that the US publisher required it to go as low as 2 player even though that was not the original intent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I asked a German game publisher to clarify rules for a certain game and they said there is a rule for the English version and also a different one for the German version.

I didn't question him, but maybe I should. Kind of wonder why his German version has a quite different interpretation of the same rule than the English version. It does matter in a game.

Has anyone encountered this type of situation?





There were substantial differences between the European original edition of Neuland and the Z-Man North American edition. I seem to remember Z-Man made the game substantially lighter, with more random elements. I also remember having extreme difficulty figuring out which rules to play with, and I think there is even a "hybrid" rulebook in the files section on BGG, which either clarifies or muddies things, I don't know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sure, it can happen for various reasons.

E.g.:

* Translation error.
* Correct translation, but the original rules were later changed and the translation was not updated to be in sync.
* Later edition of original version made change, then a correct translation is made from that, thus disagreeing with older version.
* Publisher of different language version intentionally changed it for whatever reason.
etc...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, for most games it doesn't really matter, right?
It is a bit frustrating for sure, but you just pick the rule you prefer, the one that makes more sense to you.

If the game actually has organised play and tournaments, it matters!
For Android: Netrunner, some German cards have translation errors that change the way they work, but I'm pretty sure the actual English version including its rulings would always apply (even though German cards are of course tournament-legal). I have only played in English-language tournaments, though, so I am not sure whether a German tournament organiser could decide to go with the German card text as printed. (This would actually make at least one currently legal card broken.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Different official rules for the same game - based of the country why?

Because the laws are different in those two countries ??
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:
Different official rules for the same game - based of the country why?

Because the laws are different in those two countries ??


Serious question, what law would affect a board game rule? I'm curious to how even a hypothetical law would require a change in a board game rule book.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring farmers in Carcassonne was originally different in the English and German rules - I think the solution was a third scoring method to replace both.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
TVis wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:
Different official rules for the same game - based of the country why?

Because the laws are different in those two countries ??


Serious question, what law would affect a board game rule? I'm curious to how even a hypothetical law would require a change in a board game rule book.


In the United States cooperative games are not allowed, as they encourage and lead to communism.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
Invasion81 wrote:
TVis wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:
Different official rules for the same game - based of the country why?

Because the laws are different in those two countries ??


Serious question, what law would affect a board game rule? I'm curious to how even a hypothetical law would require a change in a board game rule book.


In the United States cooperative games are not allowed, as they encourage and lead to communism.


I fucking wish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
flag msg tools
Red onez go fasta!
badge
There are some who call me... Tim.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift Marlo wrote:
AtStapley wrote:
Invasion81 wrote:
TVis wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:
Different official rules for the same game - based of the country why?

Because the laws are different in those two countries ??


Serious question, what law would affect a board game rule? I'm curious to how even a hypothetical law would require a change in a board game rule book.


In the United States cooperative games are not allowed, as they encourage and lead to communism.


I fucking wish.

For a ban on co-op games or for more communism?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age (Czech Edition) has an altered rule for the penalty of Starvation. It has had it since even before publishing, since a czech group was dominating the play testing. The Czech rule is better IMHO. The standard rule is annoying and has made me dump my version in the thrift-store.
Look it up and translate using Google!
See Re: How we avoid starvation strategy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charmed One
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaloechild wrote:
The standard rule is annoying and has made me dump my version in the bin.

OK, do people literally dump games in the bin? Or are you just being dramatic? I can't see why you would throw an entire game away in the first place, and certainly not for just one rule which you could prob'ly alter with a Post It...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Conflict Event card from Catan: Traders & Barbarians has a different rule for the English and German editions of the game. I guess it's a translation error.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, here's what I think... It's not a trash bin, just a 'played games' bin hidden near ceiling-high shelves with yet other unplayed games. Any gamer needs a bin like that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, I donated it to a thrift-store. Not the bin. Other games has literally gone into the actual bin.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Has anyone encountered this type of situation?


In the Italian version of RisiKo! Prestige, the defense roll three dice like the attacker
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an US based publisher who does this on purpose with all of their imported games.
The original rules are different than the English rules, which usually are different than the german rules. The german rule difference is mostly due to poor translation, but the other stuff is intentional. I absolutely hate this practice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.