GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Explore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,

To explore I choose one of the unexplored spaces next to a hex where i have a ship or an influence disc. If this unexplored space is adjacent to 2 hexes where i have a ship or an influence disc, should I declare the hex from which I do the "explore" action before revealing it?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes. You point out not only the hex you are exploring into, but also the wormhole you are exploring it from.

It affects the ways you can rotate the hex when you are placing it as you must have a whoe wormhole connection into the wormhole that you explored it from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmbmb
jutuomin wrote:
Yes. You point out not only the hex you are exploring into, but also the wormhole you are exploring it from.

It affects the ways you can rotate the hex when you are placing it as you must have a whoe wormhole connection into the wormhole that you explored it from.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry but p16 of the rule book, we say:

Ken explores and moves a disc to the corresponding action
space. He chooses an empty space he wishes to explore
and then turns the top hex tile from the corresponding
stack -- in this case, Middle Sectors (II). He decides whether
to place the hex or discard it, and chooses to place [3]. He
places the hex so that there is at least one full Wormhole
connecting the new hex and one of his hexes.

So he can choose which after revealing the hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played this game wrong my whole life?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Barbapapa2014 wrote:
Sorry but p16 of the rule book, we say:

Ken explores and moves a disc to the corresponding action
space. He chooses an empty space he wishes to explore
and then turns the top hex tile from the corresponding
stack -- in this case, Middle Sectors (II). He decides whether
to place the hex or discard it, and chooses to place [3]. He
places the hex so that there is at least one full Wormhole
connecting the new hex and one of his hexes.

So he can choose which after revealing the hex?

No. This is definitely an error or poor wording in the example. The rules proper (p6) denote that the hex “can only be placed in the spot you explored”.

This is also supported by the app, common sense, and we have always played it this way.

So jutuomin, you’ve not been playing it wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmbmb
And p9 we say :

Show the hex tile and choose to either place or discard it.
If you discard the tile, your turn ends immediately. Discards
are placed face up. If you decide to place the tile, the following
restrictions apply:
• the hex can be placed only to the spot that you explored
• the hex must be oriented so that at least one of the
Wormholes on the hex connects with a Wormhole on
one of the hexes where you have a disc or a Ship.

the rules never say that we need to specify from which hex we explore if there are several hexes adjacent to the unexplored place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbapapa: We've never specified the hex we are exploring from, only to -- and the rules don't require that this be done either. As long as the revealed hex connects with one of your wormholes, you are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmbmb
sataranji wrote:
Barbapapa: We've never specified the hex we are exploring from, only to -- and the rules don't require that this be done either. As long as the revealed hex connects with one of your wormholes, you are fine.

I agree!

Thank you all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sataranji wrote:
Barbapapa: We've never specified the hex we are exploring from, only to -- and the rules don't require that this be done either. As long as the revealed hex connects with one of your wormholes, and is positioned in the hex location you nominated to explore you are fine.

Added for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santeri Maatsola
Finland
flag msg tools
Looks like I've played it wrong too, always announcing "from where" and "to where" exploration is happening... and I'll probably continue playing that way because it feels right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And that's rigth to play what you prefer
But it's also rigth to inform what is official and ask if other players want to keep your rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zalamence wrote:
Looks like I've played it wrong too, always announcing "from where" and "to where" exploration is happening... and I'll probably continue playing that way because it feels right.

To be honest, there isn't a huge difference omitting the 'from where'. The important thing is not being able to draw, and then place the hex anywhere you like. If you are placing the hex in the pre-designated 'to where', as long as your territory is connected to the new hex by a wormhole, you aren't gaining a particularly unfair advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
Zalamence wrote:

To be honest, there isn't a huge difference omitting the 'from where'. The important thing is not being able to draw, and then place the hex anywhere you like. If you are placing the hex in the pre-designated 'to where', as long as your territory is connected to the new hex by a wormhole, you aren't gaining a particularly unfair advantage.

I think the most important thing is that the rules of the game are the same to all players. Whatever they then are is not that important. Anyway - the reason why we have played with the rules where you have to point where you are exploring a hex from is that sometimes it makes a difference on how you want to place those other half-wormholes of the hex. And it has seemed to be an easy solution to get rid of the problem. Also it cuts time as you wouldn't be able to rotate the hex around so much in case you want to think everything for a long time.
Usually though it has no effect whatsoever. I think that perhaps 1 in 20 games we even have a situation where it's possible to explore a hex from several different directions.
But when you use wormhole generator I think it would become much more common.
I have not decided yet whether we would continue to play with the rule book rule or with this house rule of our own. I will introduce this point when we play the next game this weekend and we'll what the other players think. I have never heard that anyone would have a problem with this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jutuomin wrote:
Ryucoo wrote:
Zalamence wrote:

I think the most important thing is that the rules of the game are the same to all players. Whatever they then are is not that important. Anyway - the reason why we have played with the rules where you have to point where you are exploring a hex from is that sometimes it makes a difference on how you want to place those other half-wormholes of the hex. And it has seemed to be an easy solution to get rid of the problem. Also it cuts time as you wouldn't be able to rotate the hex around so much in case you want to think everything for a long time.
Usually though it has no effect whatsoever. I think that perhaps 1 in 20 games we even have a situation where it's possible to explore a hex from several different directions.
But when you use wormhole generator I think it would become much more common.
I have not decided yet whether we would continue to play with the rule book rule or with this house rule of our own. I will introduce this point when we play the next game this weekend and we'll what the other players think. I have never heard that anyone would have a problem with this rule.

Yeah can't disagree with any of that. It's such a minor thing I can't see it breaking the game at all.

As long as games are based around the actual important rule of pointing out where you are exploring before taking a hex from the stack, the game will play out more or less the same as anyone elses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be telling of the intent behind exploration that the apps enforce "declare where you're exploring" via the interface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.