GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,974 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Grand Austria Hotel» Forums » General

Subject: Opinions on the hotel board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lady Inquisitor
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I looked around and couldn't find this mentioned anywhere but I'd love people's opinions on the hotel board.

Both the emperor track and the dice board are spacious and beautiful but I feel like the hotel itself (the center of the game) is seriously lacking.

Just a few points:
1) You can't place your guests at the table but instead under it
2) Your money track is too small for the token or vice versa often making me unsure exactly how much money I have
3) The entrance to your hotel is cut off the board entirely!!!
4) Everything feels cramped compared to the opulence of the other boards

Am I just being a bit nitpicky? I adore this game it's just this one board surprised me when the rest of the game looks so good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgameinquisition wrote:
I looked around and couldn't find this mentioned anywhere but I'd love people's opinions on the hotel board.

Both the emperor track and the dice board are spacious and beautiful but I feel like the hotel itself (the center of the game) is seriously lacking.

Just a few points:
1) You can't place your guests at the table but instead under it
2) Your money track is too small for the token or vice versa often making me unsure exactly how much money I have
3) The entrance to your hotel is cut off the board entirely!!!
4) Everything feels cramped compared to the opulence of the other boards

Am I just being a bit nitpicky? I adore this game it's just this one board surprised me when the rest of the game looks so good.


I get you, but I'd rather have the table space. And use a cube to track your money, don't use that disc!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lady Inquisitor
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
And use a cube to track your money, don't use that disc!


Doesn't that leave the cube very close to your kitchen full of cubes? Hence my reluctance to use one. I guess I could 'borrow' a cube from another game but that only highlights my problems further
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgameinquisition wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
And use a cube to track your money, don't use that disc!


Doesn't that leave the cube very close to your kitchen full of cubes? Hence my reluctance to use one. I guess I could 'borrow' a cube from another game but that only highlights my problems further


Yeah, I use a purple cube from Macao, I believe (or Merkator?)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, replaced my money discs with cubes. Something like that should never get past play-testing, in my opinion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hable
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgameinquisition wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
And use a cube to track your money, don't use that disc!


Doesn't that leave the cube very close to your kitchen full of cubes? Hence my reluctance to use one. I guess I could 'borrow' a cube from another game but that only highlights my problems further


Pandemic Legacy works great for supplying cubes to other games.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lady Inquisitor
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Yup, replaced my money discs with cubes. Something like that should never get past play-testing, in my opinion.


It's funny how the game mechanics are so polished yet it's the little things that seem to be missing. The symbolism on the staff cards as a whole is problematic for me. I've played 5 times total now (I don't have the game a week yet)and still need the rulebook to look up the people. If there is space to write their name why not a sentence or two about their ability?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rigel Rafuse
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I dont mind the lack of writing on the card. personally i like it, makes the cards "cleaner" looking but i do find the font size on the card name is WAY too small. LOL. I struggle to see the name on the darn card. But i do understand your point.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Rafuzee wrote:
but i do find the font side size on the card name is WAY too small.
That, and the font was chosen for maximum illegibility!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hable
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The second printing added numbering to the cards for lookup in the rule book, avoiding the need to decipher the text.

Also check out the excellent Visual Staff Reference here on BGG. I printed out 4 copies and has drastically cut down on arguments as well as time spent cursing the font.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rigel Rafuse
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for this Dan! Appreciate it. Peace shall be restored in the household.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lady Inquisitor
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
dhable wrote:

Also check out the excellent Visual Staff Reference here on BGG. I printed out 4 copies and has drastically cut down on arguments as well as time spent cursing the font.


A thousand times this! Thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.