GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,567 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Fleet Commander: Nimitz» Forums » General

Subject: Play both sides? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bertrand Vilatte
Japan
flag msg tools
It may sound like a strange question, but I wonder if it would be possible to play either side solo.

Having watched a couple of videos and looked at the rules, the game's mechanisms seem pretty straightforward and the game itself rather easy to mod in order to play the Japanese and let the AI control the Americans.

The supply points allocation and the need to devise a set of orders for an American AI appear to be the main difficulties at this stage.

I've been considering the purchase of this game for a while now, but I usually prefer to play the losing side (in any battle/game), and being able to switch sides between plays would certainly add to its replay value as well.

Am I being fooled by the game's apparent simplicity?

I'd very much like to have your input on this matter.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. The Japanese side would probably steamroll the US side early on if played most efficiently. You would have to make all sorts of alterations to remove a large portion of the Japanese fores from direct player control every turn to have a hope of it being a contest. You'd be creating a brand new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Vilatte
Japan
flag msg tools
Thank you, peterk1.

Hmm... I had in mind to play the Americans with the 1942 & 1943 scenarios and to switch sides for the later scenarios to (at least partially) solve the balance issue.
On the surface, the absence of hidden units & gimmick mechanisms for the AI controlled side looked promising mod-wise.
I'll have to read the rules in detail and think about it a bit more.

Although the 99$ price tag (+ expensive shipping) is a powerful deterrent, I was still on the fence... I probably need to re-assess my priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.