GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review: Still fun after ten plays? My pros and cons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though long extensive reviews seem te be the most popular reviews on BGG, I myself just don't have the time or the patience to read those.
I prefer quick overviews where I can get some insights into why this game may or may not be attractive to me.
My reviews are targeted at a similar audience, and just consist of my pros and cons coming from:
1) First impressions (before playing my first game)
2) Impressions after the first game
3) Current feelings (after at least 10 plays)

First impressions:
+ I picked this up at a factory outlet sale of the Dutch biggest games publisher; didn't know much about it, other than that it was a pretty well known game on BGG, but it was cheap as it was "slightly damaged" (I think all that was damaged was the shrink wrap around it)
+ The board is gorgeous, created by my favorite artist - Michael Menzel

Impressions after the first game:
+ The rules are pretty straight forward, easy to learn and quick to teach
+ The rules make thematic sense, which I like a lot; e.g. the more people you send out to do a task, the more goods they will bring back, but they won't bring back the same amount every time
+ I like the push your luck aspect; you can choose to play it safe by spending more people/dice at the same location and hope for bigger scores, or you can take more risks and hope to collect enough goods for your plans by sending out fewer people. I think this kind of mechanism is very valuable in a "gateway style" game; it ensures that new people don't automatically get beaten by somebody that has already played the game a couple of times.
+ It's not just stupid luck; you can calculate the odds and you can mitigate the luck by getting some tools
- Minor gripe with the board layout: the cards are filled up from left to right, while the draw pile is located to the right of the board. It would make more sense to fill up the positions starting at the right side, sliding everything left starting from the draw pile. Now you slide evrything towards the draw pile.

Current feelings (14 plays into it):
- I miss some kind of tension building up; every turn is pretty much the same
+ There are several different strategies to explore, which stops me from burning out too quickly on this game
- Having said that, the game does start to feel "samey" if played too often in a short amount of time. I tried adding the expansion, but didn't add anything interesting to me. But I did find that when I bring it out after not having played it for a while, I do enjoy it again.
- Some of the huts are considerably better than others (throw 7 of any resources in one hut...), this creates another aspect of luck in the game, which I like less as there is no way to mitigate this

End conclusion (well, for now):
I like worker placement. This was my first worker placement game. I have played a bunch of others since, and I do like some better (e.g. Caylus), but I do still like a game of Stone Age every now and then. Plus this is much easier to introduce to new people than something like Caylus. Will definitly keep this in my collection.

If you'd like to read more of my reviews, check out Still fun after ten plays? - All reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This pic sums up the luck factor potential in the game, yet it's still fun.

image credit: settlerdave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stansel
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I enjoy Stone Age as well. I wish that some new content for the game would come out. I am “meh” on the only expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Stone Age, it is my favorite worker placement game. And I actually currently have it listed as my favorite game overall. I don't think it is the "best" game but it is a game that I have never burned out on (I have a tendency to burn out on a game rather quickly). So I had to give it major bonus points. I wish they would make a sequel. I really like the use of the dice and how you can play it safe or press your luck. I have owned it since early 2009 and I don't think I will ever part with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
Have you guys played with two people? It’s the cutthroat Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:

I cheer myself up in games where this happens by yelling "Yahtzee!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alafter wrote:
Have you guys played with two people? It’s the cutthroat Stone Age

Yup, the majority of my plays is two player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Van Dam
United States
Anderson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holdmykidney wrote:
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:

I cheer myself up in games where this happens by yelling "Yahtzee!"

That's the best! I'll have to try that
laughlaughlaughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
United States
Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:

Nah, I got tools son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.