GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,974 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: [2nd Edition] A few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those rules are a mess, and I'm sure I'm misunderstanding a lot of it, so bear with me with some basic stuff:
1) If a Marine takes the Aim Action, can he keep it until a further round? Rulebook says "the first shot" gets +4, but must it be in the same round as aiming?
2) Sentry is discarded after the round, right?
3) When can I sentry an enemy activation? After every action, right? So if an Alien moves into my tile, I can interrupt and attack?
4) If I fire long range and then take the sentry action, I can only use melee action, move or pass if I trigger sentry, correct?
5) If an enemy model in on my tile, and I shoot a model on another tile, do I still get -10, or does this only apply when shooting in models engaged in a melee?
6) When the Marines use tactical movement, they can move a space and then trigger sentry and no one can interrupt them, right?
7) Does the ventilation shaft count as a tile for movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I assumed Aim was something you used immediately - basically paying two action points to shoot with a bonus.
2. Yes, you have to use or lose them. This is covered on page 19 under Model Activation Phase.
3. You can use Sentry "immediately after a model completes a basic or extended action" (page 23). You discard the token as soon as you use it.
4. The sentry action takes 2 action points. As you generally only get 2 action points, you won't be able to shoot and then go on Sentry. If, for some reason, you can, then you can still only use a given action once per turn.
5. I believe it would be -2, as a ranged attack made from an engaged tile at another tile, counts as if shooting through an engaged tile (page 27).
6. Correct (page 23).
7. Vents are treated like any other corridor except you can only go through them if you are small, and you cannot draw LOS through them (page 12).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add I have the German translation, which adds to the general badness of the rules, I'm afraid.
1. The rulebook simply states "the next shot", so I'm not sure. I thought it adds a nice tactical element.
2. Thanks.
3. Ok then I did that right.
4. Hah! I thought sentry was a basic action. It's an extended one. Ok, that explains that. Also makes it much less appealing for Aliens and Predators.
5. Are you sure of that?
6. Cool thanks!
7. So Aliens can effectively only sprint through those, but never attack someone on the other side because they can't stay in the damn things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

5. I believe it would be -2, as a ranged attack made from an engaged tile at another tile, counts as if shooting through an engaged tile (page 27).

This is correct. You only get -2. But if the model you're shooting at is also engaged, you use the -10 modifier.

StefanSasse wrote:

7. So Aliens can effectively only sprint through those, but never attack someone on the other side because they can't stay in the damn things?

Yeah only if you get them another action point or they can move one tile further with a standard Move Action (through Strategy Cards).
Also Facehuggers CAN stand on vent tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StefanSasse wrote:

5. Are you sure of that?

Pretty sure. It's -10 to shoot at an engaged enemy, and -2 to shoot through tiles containing engaged enemies (including the tile you're on, and cumulative for each engaged tile).

And, yes. As Raphael says. The exceptions are models with the keyword "tiny."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, all those expansions aren't yet available for 2nd edition unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StefanSasse wrote:
Yeah, all those expansions aren't yet available for 2nd edition unfortunately.

Not sure what you mean. All currently available expansions are compatible with second edition. I'm not even sure they will bother to remake the facehuggers as unicast models because they're already single piece resin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't understand which expansions work with the existing models and which don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StefanSasse wrote:
I still don't understand which expansions work with the existing models and which don't.

All of the expansions work with both versions of the game (except for the drop ship). The only minor issue is that the marines for the first edition of the game are slightly larger than the new unicast marines.

Currently, Prodos are remaking some of the expansions in unicast. These are new sculpts, but are otherwise the same as the original expansions. You can get alien warriors, predaliens, the alien queen, and the commandos. They may do other expansions in this format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also unicast models of Facehuggers and the USCM Officer available for purchase. I believe one of the predator young bloods is also unicast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robo37 wrote:
There's also unicast models of Facehuggers and the USCM Officer available for purchase. I believe one of the predator young bloods is also unicast

Yeah, there's a new unicast officer that has just been announced this week. The facehuggers are single piece, but I don't believe they are unicast (although I may be wrong). Unicast is a new process they developed, and models using the process have the unicast logo on the box. The facehuggers were made during the Kickstarter, using the traditional casting method. It means they may not be scaled to the new models as they aren't officially part of the unicast range.

More on unicast process, if anyone is interested:

http://prodosgames.com/blog/prodos-unicast-is-here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick one: If I make an attack on a tile containing several enemy models, and I have a RoA larger than 1, can I attack several different models? For example, can the bostick Predator kill up to four Aliens in one attack?

And can you attack Facehuggers sitting in a vent?

Can I use a flamethrower to attack Aliens in range of Ping! that are still only Ping! markers and haven't been revealed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StefanSasse wrote:
Quick one: If I make an attack on a tile containing several enemy models, and I have a RoA larger than 1, can I attack several different models? For example, can the bostick Predator kill up to four Aliens in one attack?

And can you attack Facehuggers sitting in a vent?

Can I use a flamethrower to attack Aliens in range of Ping! that are still only Ping! markers and haven't been revealed?

1. You can choose a new target for each ROA above 1. See the diagram on page 33, or the steps of shooting on page 26.

2. Sometimes - it depends on your weapons. See page 12.

3. I don't think it's clarified in the rules, but I play that you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.