GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,724 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Welcome to Centerville» Forums » Rules

Subject: Another Contract + Fate Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
...which occurred in the game we just finished.

I had the contract symbol on the yellow, red and purple dices, and the fate symbol (question mark) on the blue one. I decided that the fate die would copy the yellow die, and built two level-2 buildings in the yellow quadrant (one with yellow contract + red contract, the other with copied yellow contract + purple contract).

My fellow players questioned whether this was possible, and pointed to the rule section with the example (page 11), which to us sent a mixed message:
- on one hand it allows building two yellow level-1 buildings and a purple one - that proves that the copied yellow die can be used separately from the other yellow die
- on the other hand it does not list the option of building one level-1 yellow building plus a level-2 yellow building - so while the purple die can be combined with two yellow dices for a yellow level-3 building, there's no example that one yellow plus one purple dice can be combined for a level-2 yellow building.

Please advise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Your play was correct. Fate dice copying other dice is separate from using them with the copied dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hakstege
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that certainly makes it easier. Good question Robert and the issue is settled now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Your play was correct. Fate dice copying other dice is separate from using them with the copied dice.
Thanks. I may be overly careful, but ideally I'd like to hear it from the author.

If your answer is correct, then I find the example in the rules incomplete, as it should have listed "build one level-1 and one level-2 building in the yellow quadrant" as an additional option for the yellow-yellow-purple case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Thanks. I may be overly careful, but ideally I'd like to hear it from the author.

Well, Chad liked my post, so that seems pretty affirmative from the game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
I may be overly careful, but ideally I'd like to hear it from the author.

Sean is correct.

Quote:
If your answer is correct, then I find the example in the rules incomplete...

The examples in the rules aren't meant to include every possibility, they're only intended to give -- *ahem* -- examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
DocCool wrote:

Well, Chad liked my post, so that seems pretty affirmative from the game designer.
Sorry, I didn't check the thumbs. My bad.

Chad Jensen wrote:
Quote:
If your answer is correct, then I find the example in the rules incomplete...

The examples in the rules aren't meant to include every possibility, they're only intended to give -- *ahem* -- examples.
Well, then we seem to be in disagreement. Of course the example is just one limited case, and I don't necessarily expect you to also cover a bunch of similar cases. However from a decent example which seemingly aims to cover the question "what can you do with these dice rolls?" I do expect that for the given concrete situation it lists all possible nine moves for that example, instead of listing seven (numbered, no less) and leaving out the eighth and ninth.

Imagine the Can't Stop rules had an example like this:
Quote:
When your four dices show 1, 2, 4 and 6, you can combine them in several ways:
1. 1+2=3 and 4+6=10
2. 1+4=5 and 2+6=8
Would you really consider this a good example? I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Imagine the Can't Stop rules had an example like this:
Quote:
When your four dices show 1, 2, 4 and 6, you can combine them in several ways:
1. 1+2=3 and 4+6=10
2. 1+4=5 and 2+6=8
Would you really consider this a good example? I don't.

Can't Stop has exactly three combinations, always (counting duplicates). Giving all combinations in an example makes sense. Centerville has a lot more combinations than three with each die roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.