GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,707 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Agricola: Artifex Deck» Forums » General

Subject: General reception of the expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there is no review out here and the rating page shows only 23 ratings at the moment of posting this (with basically no comments attached to the ratings) I would like to hear how well this expansion is put together and whether you are personally suggesting a purchase. In particular I would like to encourage people who were not happy with certain elements to voice their opinions here as well, as negative reviews contribute to a balanced portrayal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a 'more of the same' expansion, which is why there isn't a lot of talk about it. Essentially if you want more variety, this is good. If not, then you're not missing much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Waterhouse
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the people who rated it (a solid 7 out of 10).

I've played it a couple of times so far and would certainly recommend it. The price was fairly low (about 15 EUR with shipping from Lookout Games website) and it adds a nice variety.

I've probably only played 10 games of Agricola but was finding my strategy each game becoming rather the same. These new card pushed me out of my regular comfort-zone and opened up other viable strategies. For example, some cards pushed me into a heavy field/crop strategy early in the game where I normally would have been planning pastures for animals as well.

I play mostly 2 player, so half the cards in the box will probably not get used. I still think it was worth purchasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it and really like it (I just added my rating of 9.) It adds variety to the 2nd edition.

I never played the original version of Agricola, but I saw a lot of reviews saying that the huge number of cards were what made every game different. I got 2e and, while it's still one of my favourite games, the reduced number of cards makes the "every game is different" thing not so true. Artifex brings it back. With Artifex, I've more often found myself trying a wholly new strategy because that's what fits with my cards this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I've played Agricola hundreds of times, mostly 2p, but also many 3p and 4p (and a handful of 5p) games, both in-person and online.

I have experience with most of the expansion decks to date (see my "Owned" list for details), and I recently bought the Artifex deck. I hesitate to call the Artifex deck an "expansion" because it is ultimately meant to be part of the core game (see below). I've only played the Artifex deck with 2p and 3p.

The dearth of Artifex deck reviews thus far is probably due to two things:
1. The deck is still unavailable at US game stores (I ordered it from the UK), which means many potential buyers and reviewers may not have the Artifex deck yet.
2. Most Agricola fans have the E, I, and K decks from the original version of Agricola, and many fans likely also have one or more expansion decks. These folks may not be in the market for a new deck—particularly one with some reprints of cards they already have.

The Artifex deck is meant to expand on the "A" deck from Agricola (revised edition) (Artifex begins with "A" for a reason). I haven't analyzed the precise breakdown, but it includes cards from the original EIK decks, cards from some of the already-published expansion decks, and perhaps a few cards unique to the Artifex deck. Some reprinted cards have been rebalanced, though (necessarily) imperfectly so. The plan, as I understand it, is for Lookout/Asmodee to release similar decks for the revised edition B deck, and then also a C and a D deck. Eventually they will release a version of the game that includes the revised edition contents, the 5&6-player expansion, and the complete A, B, C, and D decks. It is unclear when this will happen, and the details are obviously subject to change.

Should you buy the Artifex deck?

Agricola's original expansion decks (Gamer's Deck, World Championship Deck, etc.) are all out-of-print and therefore comparatively costly. Taking that into consideration, here are my suggestions for the Artifex deck based on one's relationship to Agricola:

• You own the original edition and play occasionally: You have enough card variety as is—Artifex is probably not worth it.

• You own the original edition, perhaps a few expansions, and play often: You can probably skip Artifex, but buy it if you're curious (I fall into this category). Be aware that the cards refer to the revised versions of the action spaces ("Farmland" instead of "Plow 1 Field", and so on.)

• You own the revised edition and play occasionally: You have enough card variety as is—Artifex is probably not worth it.

• You own the revised edition but no expansions, and play often: You are the target market for the Artifex deck. You will very likely enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you so much cjfoster, this is an incredibly helpful breakdown!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Yang
msg tools
Lerxst wrote:
I'm one of the people who rated it (a solid 7 out of 10).

I've played it a couple of times so far and would certainly recommend it. The price was fairly low (about 15 EUR with shipping from Lookout Games website) and it adds a nice variety.

It seems that now only the deutsch version is available on the official website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lumin Sperling

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great breakdown from Chris, just want to add in a few details on this:

cjfoster wrote:
I haven't analyzed the precise breakdown, but it includes cards from the original EIK decks, cards from some of the already-published expansion decks, and perhaps a few cards unique to the Artifex deck. Some reprinted cards have been rebalanced, though (necessarily) imperfectly so. The plan, as I understand it, is for Lookout/Asmodee to release similar decks for the revised edition B deck, and then also a C and a D deck. Eventually they will release a version of the game that includes the revised edition contents, the 5&6-player expansion, and the complete A, B, C, and D decks. It is unclear when this will happen, and the details are obviously subject to change.

-- In the 120-card expansion, there are no cards borrowed from any of the original game's decks (EIK or otherwise.) They are all unique to Artifex.

-- The 120-card "Bubulcus" (B) expansion has been scheduled for release this year. It is being playtested on play-agricola.com and will also be completely unique:

-- As far as I know, the plan is for C to come out in 2019 and D to come out in 2020. I would also suggest there's some nonzero chance that P, Q, R, and S decks will eventually exist featuring player-designed cards which currently exist as part of the original's G, Wm, Pi, or Fr decks (as well as unpublished but well-tested ideas.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Luminator wrote:
-- In the 120-card expansion, there are no cards borrowed from any of the original game's decks (EIK or otherwise.) They are all unique to Artifex.

Thank you for the correction. I misremembered because I was playing Revised + Artifex.

In light of this, I'd bump up my second grouping recommendation (original version, play often) to say that you should seriously consider getting the Artifex deck (unless you think you'll hold out for the deluxe edition). For the other three groups, I stand by my previous assessment.

Luminator wrote:
-- The 120-card "Bubulcus" (B) expansion has been scheduled for release this year. It is being playtested on play-agricola.com and will also be completely unique..."

Thanks for the news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not available to the U.S. market, it is dead to me. Plus, I've already got more than enough expansion decks (like, almost all of them) to keep my sessions near-infinitely variable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
MisterG wrote:
If it's not available to the U.S. market, it is dead to me. Plus, I've already got more than enough expansion decks (like, almost all of them) to keep my sessions near-infinitely variable.

FWIW, Artifex has begun to appear as a preorder item in some US stores. See here for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone is still watching this thread, it is available from some U.S. retailers now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luminator wrote:
Great breakdown from Chris, just want to add in a few details on this:

cjfoster wrote:
I haven't analyzed the precise breakdown, but it includes cards from the original EIK decks, cards from some of the already-published expansion decks, and perhaps a few cards unique to the Artifex deck. Some reprinted cards have been rebalanced, though (necessarily) imperfectly so. The plan, as I understand it, is for Lookout/Asmodee to release similar decks for the revised edition B deck, and then also a C and a D deck. Eventually they will release a version of the game that includes the revised edition contents, the 5&6-player expansion, and the complete A, B, C, and D decks. It is unclear when this will happen, and the details are obviously subject to change.

-- The 120-card "Bubulcus" (B) expansion has been scheduled for release this year. It is being playtested on play-agricola.com and will also be completely unique:

-- As far as I know, the plan is for C to come out in 2019 and D to come out in 2020. I would also suggest there's some nonzero chance that P, Q, R, and S decks will eventually exist featuring player-designed cards which currently exist as part of the original's G, Wm, Pi, or Fr decks (as well as unpublished but well-tested ideas.)
Why is the box for the Bubulcus deck so much larger than the Artifex one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="dvader123"Why is the box for the Bubulcus deck so much larger than the Artifex one?[/q]

THat was only the mock-up. The acutal box is the same size as Artifex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking at the cards here:
http://play-agricola.com/Agricola/Cards/index.php

They seem to give a lot of bonuses. As a player of the Original version, and FoTM, I want to know if the "strength" of the Artifex cards is greater than the Original & FoTM decks.

And is there a list of the new action space names vs Original names?

We've been playing only 1 deck at a time to avoid "dilution" of combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.