GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,839 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Thunderstone Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Shortbow - what does the asterisk mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian P
United States
Mount Pleasant
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can anyone point to where it’s explained what the asterisk means on this card or any card with an asterisk? Like a literal definition ? I get Magic Missile which is only a start cause you read the ext and it explains what’s it worth but cards with a boost (like Shortbow) have a boost number then an asterisk?? What does it mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
It means read the card because something may change that number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davis Thompson
United States
Park River
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
Anytime there is an asterisk on a numerical value, it means that it is a variable value, and the text on the bottom of the card defines how that number may change.

The Shortbow, for example, has a base attack of +2, but in the text of the card, it gives a +1 bonus if wielded by an Elf, hence becoming +3 attack in that case.

The Magic Missile has a magic attack that is completely relative to the condition on the bottom of the card - its attack value is equal to the total combined level of all wizards in your hand.
Example 1: If you had a single level 1 Scathian in your hand, and no other wizards, the magic attack of the magic missile would simply be 1, which is the level of the only wizard in your hand.
Example 2: So, if you had a level 1 Pylorian, and a level 2 Pylorian with the magic missile it would take into consideration the temporary level boosts that hero receives from the magic missile being an Arcane Spell. So, the level 1 Pylorian is effectively a level 2, and the level 2 Pylorian is effectively a level 3. Therefore, when you calculate the magic attack value of the magic missile in this case you would get 2+3=5.
Example 3: If you have a magic missile in your hand, but no wizards, then the magic missile is effectively a zero attack value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.