GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Photosynthesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about collecting and advanced variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When collecting, lets say i am collecting at 1 leaf space, if there is no 1 leaf tile, do i get a 2 leaf tile or i get nothing?

When playing advanced, you basically CAN NOT interact with a space that is shadowed, but can your lighted tree plant a seed in a shadowed space? That is kind unclear for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
When collecting, lets say i am collecting at 1 leaf space, if there is no 1 leaf tile, do i get a 2 leaf tile or i get nothing?

You get nothing.
ryusora wrote:
When playing advanced, you basically CAN NOT interact with a space that is shadowed, but can your lighted tree plant a seed in a shadowed space? That is kind unclear for me

Yes it can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
ryusora wrote:

Yes it can.

No it can NOT!

At least from the german rules this is clear. It is written: "You cannot place a seed .... if the seed is in the shadow of another tree"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Einsiedler wrote:
WilbertK wrote:
ryusora wrote:

Yes it can.

No it can NOT!

At least from the german rules this is clear. It is written: "You cannot place a seed .... if the seed is in the shadow of another tree"

If you look closely you'll see that the comment that you quoted is a link to a post by the designer, explaining that you're wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:

If you look closely you'll see that the comment that you quoted is a link to a post by the designer, explaining that you're wrong.

Do you think so? :-)

And I now looked up the English rules: "Players cannot plant a seed or grow a tree when that seed or tree is shadowed by another tree."

For me in the English and German rules there is not an open question / interpretation on this point. It is 100% clear that this is not allowed to plant a seed in the shadow".

Looks to me that this is only a designers wish that did not make it into the rules (may be blocked or overseen by the editor?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Einsiedler wrote:
Looks to me that this is only a designers wish that did not make it into the rules (may be blocked or overseen by the editor?).

I don't see the point of having an online rules discussion if you're not going to listen to the game's designer. There's a shitload of games for which the designer and/or publisher came up with clarifications after the game was published. These are generally considered to be part of the official rules for the game by most people on this site. Even for this game there's an updated version of the rules that can be downloaded. Of course you're free to play the game any way you like, but here on BGG I think it's quite alienating to try and take part in a rules discussion without acknowledging that the game's designer is the authority on the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wonder how a discussion came up about an so clearly stated rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Einsiedler wrote:
I just wonder how a discussion came up about an so clearly stated rule

Translating languages is not as simples as you think, and is pretty commom for whoever does the translations and revision is not fully aware of all the rules and edgy scenarios of the game.

Gladly the DESIGNER of the game clarified it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jone Idsal
Other-Asia
Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Photosyntesis Official English FAQ v1.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mogensen
Denmark
Silkeborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
I don't see the point of having an online rules discussion if you're not going to listen to the game's designer. There's a shitload of games for which the designer and/or publisher came up with clarifications after the game was published.

Yeah... but in Einsiedler's defense, these are RARELY situations where the printed rules explicitly and unambiguously say the exact opposite and where there's NO associated discussion of closing a loophole of fixing some other thing broken in the game mechanism.

In this case, based on the linked designer answer, I'd say that there's a fair chance the designer was not aware that the printed rules directly contradicted his answer when he made it.
That said... if Hjalmar expanded his answer with a statement like "We discovered that without allowance for casting seeds into shadow the game would degenerate to a deadlock" (or something similar) ... then it would clearly be an official and important well thought through errata.

To put it another way... this would not be the first time I've seen a designer be a little too quick to resolve a rules question and then later regret it when more light is shed on the issue (no pun intended).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.