GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,032 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Majesty: For the Realm» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Last player advantage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you find that the last player has an advantage in your games?

It seems to me that they can count everything with certainty and take the very best move and make a big difference because board status won’t change afterwards. And scores seemed to confirm that more often than not.

Plus, later players can’t be affected by a turn-1 knight.

If last player advantage were a thing, my rough idea to balance this would be to have every player starting with one meeple less than the previous player, and then the last player discards one meeple (i.e. 5-4-3-1 / 5-4-2 / 5-3 at different player counts). Maybe this doesn’t have much impact after the first couple of turns though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
beri2 wrote:
Did you find that the last player has an advantage in your games?

It seems to me that they can count everything with certainty and take the very best move and make a big difference because board status won’t change afterwards. And scores seemed to confirm that more often than not.

Plus, later players can’t be affected by a turn-1 knight.

If last player advantage were a thing, my rough idea to balance this would be to have every player starting with one meeple less than the previous player, and then the last player discards one meeple (i.e. 5-4-3-1 / 5-4-2 / 5-3 at different player counts). Maybe this doesn’t have much impact after the first couple of turns though.

I've found playing last to be preferable as well. If there's a soldier in play and you're the last player, they can't ever get that character back. With a side B infirmary, that could mean -12 points to a player, which is a huge deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Instead of what I suggested in the OP, you could remove 1-2-3 cards from the "2" deck, respectively with 2-3-4 players. This way, on the last turn, you can’t fill the row with a card and so the first player will choose their last card of the game among 6, the next player among 5, etc.

Sounds neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.