GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Star realms or hero realms? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one to thoose?

I Like the hero realms Universe Best but i’ve heard that the game is more unbalanced than star realms.

What to thoose?

Which one do you Like the Best and Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you're looking for.

Star Realms has more content and is more balanced, Hero Realms has more different ways to play but costs an arm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note is that the base game of Hero Realms plays 4 out of the box, something Star Realms doesn't do without expansions or a second deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms has WAY too much healing for PvP - it was designed to play against a boss. HR games can be never ending due to the healing. I did not find the boss/campaign games to be compelling and sold it.

I only have base Star Realms plus a handful of promos.
Star Realms remains a nice quick 2-player deck builder for me.

I haven't ever considered buying SR expansion content due to the cost and worry it will turn into a bloated slog and overstay its welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
I definetively prefer Hero Realms, for several reasons.

1) Though I like sci-fi themes alright, I think the different creatures and actions in Hero Realms are easier to recognize and more thematically evocative than the stations and spaceships in Star Realms which can seem a little samey.

2) It makes also more thematic sense, at least for me, to have creatures and actions as "permanents" and "instants," respectively, over stations and spaceships.

3) It also make more sense to have people and creatures from the same faction to "betray" and fight each other, as you and your opponent "recruit" them into your deck, than entire ships and space stations.

4) The character packs add both a roleplaying element and unique player powers. This is probably the most important of all reasons, though Star Realms is getting this as well with the Frontiers expansion.

5) While the actual card was a kickstarter exclusive, I think the Tibus solo challenge provides a much better solo experience than the Star Realms solo challenges.

6) Connected with this, the problem of balance becomes a non-issue if you play essentially solo like me.

7) While it has some storytelling and mechanic problems, Hero Realms has also the Ruin of Thandar campaign (and hopefully more campaign like expansions in the future).

8) Super minor thing, but the life trackers are much better in Hero Realms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Dummiz wrote:
Which one to thoose?
I Like the hero realms Universe Best but i’ve heard that the game is more unbalanced than star realms.

Given that it's a deck builder where you and your opponents are buying from a common trade row, I do not understand how any of the Realms line of games can be more unbalanced than the other.

You have to remember that Star, Hero, and Cthulhu Realms were designed by MtG hall of famers. In MtG, you construct a deck to 1) create your core engine of what you want to do and 2) mitigate what your opponent might do. How you build your deck in the Realms games is do different.

If fantasy is your stick and you like the idea of potentially running a co-op campaign (additional purchase), then Hero Realms is the way to go. It also supports 4 players out of the box ($20).

Star Realms and Star Realms: Colony Wars run about $15 each, but only support 2 players. Both are standalone sets and you don't need one to play the other. I do think Star Realms: Frontiers is going to get the Hero Realms treatment when it comes out, supporting 4 players out of the box and potentially a campaign expansion.

I like all three for different reasons. I own Star Realms and Cthulhu Realms and owning Star Realms, Colony Wars, and a handful of expansions played heavily in my reason for not investing in Hero Realms. Hero Realms added a couple of things like starter deck and Champions. You can't go wrong with either one.

Quite honestly, my favorite to play is Cthulhu Realms, not because of the theme but because the mechanics are so much tighter than the other two. It's much easier to get your engine firing earlier on and I've been able to play multiple strategies and win. But Cthulhu Realms has no expansions (and it really doesn't need any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.