GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,141 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How difficult is it to "save position" mid-game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering... can this game theoretically be played one scenario in two-three installments, with tearing down and setting up the game in between? Sort of a save game/load game thing?

I mean, I may be naive, but it seems to be quite possible. A high level camera snapshot to get the overview of the token situation, and then careful piling up of cards in a certain order, perhaps using something as handy separators. I would perhaps like to work out the specifics, but it would be nice if someone would tell me it's a futile effort so I don't even try with this endeavor.

The reason I ask is because I realized I am wary of starting of what can possibly be an hour and half or a two-hour game if I am not sure I will be able to finish it (for example, if it's 1am and I fell asleep face-first into a pile of cards two times already) If there was a relatively convenient way to tear down and later reconstruct the game, this would make it far more attractive to delve into new scenarios, or choose to stop earlier before I destroy all my cards with sleeping drool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Osborn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
I was wondering... can this game theoretically be played one scenario in two-three installments, with tearing down and setting up the game in between? Sort of a save game/load game thing?

I mean, I may be naive, but it seems to be quite possible. A high level camera snapshot to get the overview of the token situation, and then careful piling up of cards in a certain order, perhaps using something as handy separators. I would perhaps like to work out the specifics, but it would be nice if someone would tell me it's a futile effort so I don't even try with this endeavor.

The reason I ask is because I realized I am wary of starting of what can possibly be an hour and half or a two-hour game if I am not sure I will be able to finish it (for example, if it's 1am and I fell asleep face-first into a pile of cards two times already) If there was a relatively convenient way to tear down and later reconstruct the game, this would make it far more attractive to delve into new scenarios, or choose to stop earlier before I destroy all my cards with sleeping drool.

I suppose it's possible, though honestly, as you mentioned, the length of scenarios is typically 60-90min, occasionally hitting the two hour mark. If you're part way through a scenario, I think the time to clean up and take a picture and pack it all in a way that would easily be re-set up, would probably take as long as it would to just finish the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bennett
msg tools
Sometimes I play with an AP prone individual that tends to make things take longer than they should, so we have ended up having to save the game a couple times.

We've done it pretty much as you say, take photos of the various play areas, then stack the cards, face up investigator + cards in play, face down hand, face up discard pile, face down deck, face up encounter discard, face down encounter deck. I realized afterward that I was in fact taking more photos than necessary, really photos are only needed for tokens and location attachments and the like.

I've only done it for a couple scenarios, but I would think it basically work for any scenario, even if there are additional decks, etc.

Overall, it worked great for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this dilemma (I'm attempting to play on work breaks, 30 minutes at a time).

My solution is to use index card dividers and pick up stacks in a set order.
(hand/in play/deck/Act/Agenda/etc)
I use a piece of paper to note the number of tokens and where they are.
(Attic- 2 clue / Roland- 1 dmg, 1 hrr, 3 rsc, 1 clue / Agenda 2- 3 doom )

It's not ideal, but I'm making progress. If you spend one "play session" prepping dividers based on the setup instructions (need to make one for Cult deck?), that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bennett
msg tools
Someone has made cards to indicate trauma and XP, to help as memory aids. If one wanted a fancy way to save games, it would be possible to also make damage/horror/clue/doom/resource cards (maybe rotatable, 1 and 3 on one side / 5 and 10 on the other), then you would just put the necessary token cards under the associated card, and no photos necessary.

This may be a stupid idea and totally not feasible, but... I'm intrigued, because I'm a sucker for fancying up things like this, even if it's totally not worth the effort
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we have done it, but only by putting all the different decks aside, and taking a photo of the map (and once by just putting a table cloth over the whole thing). It's fiddly but it worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often have to pause mid-scenario, but in my case I leave it all out on the dining room table (often to my better half's chagrin). I keep the little turn phase reference card out and put a token on the phase I need to start off with when I resume.

I don't think I would want to go through the mid-scenario teardown/setup to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashamel wrote:
we have done it, but only by putting all the different decks aside, and taking a photo of the map (and once by just putting a table cloth over the whole thing). It's fiddly but it worked.
The table cloth idea is probably the easiest/best yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since I've had the opportunity to "save position" quite a few times so far I'd like to report that it works very nicely.. but you have to have a system.

The most effective solution I've find is a) using a smartphone camera to grab an overview of the game (few pics of zoomed in details if necessary) followed by b) piling up the cards in a certain way so reconstruction is extremely easy (hand cards go under investigator cards, encounter deck goes at an angle on player draw decks etc.). The trick is to have cards piled up in such a way it takes very little place (so they can be tucked up somewhere) but still spread around enough so "loading" is trivial.

Here it is in practice. Game position:

"Saved" game:

The area of the save game is roughly the size of an A4 paper. I also tend to put a large book over the cards just to make sure they will not move.

In any case, if everyone frets that this game might take too long, I suggest using a similar solution as this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.