GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Across Five Aprils is one of my all time favorite wargames, Civil War or otherwise. I am also a big fan of what Compass Games has been doing of late. So, naturally, I'd like to know from those of you who have played both - how similar is Battle Hymn to A5A? What are the significant differences? Most importantly, which do you prefer, especially given that the battles in Battle Hymn are also in A5A, so a direct comparison is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Battle Hymn - even A5A is one of my all time favorites.
The BH combat system is more refined, with progressive attrition of units rather than one or two steps. Also, when a combat turn is drawn, units which moved into the ZOC of enemy units receive first fire from the latter before normal combat occurs.
Combat turns sees units of both sides exchange fire.
Initiative can allow one side to decide when its combst chit is used.
The game remains simple and - putting aside some typos and the need of some clarifications - written in a clear, pedagogical way.
I only have played Pea Ridge, but I think that I will stick to BH.
And the maps are beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same designer—me—with a similar chit pull system, but we now have combat initiative. New movement rates for the units, a surprisingly big change in effect, but almost invisible (minor roads are MUCH more important). No stacking, which works well, turned out to be the key to the design in fact. But mostly it's the brand new combat system, which is step loss-based, and reflects the Civil War much better. Has approach fire, for the defender's advantage, and up to two rounds of combat. Basically, this is a new combat system, not hard, based upon techniques found in my Panzer Command game, that adds up to a much more realistic game, that's still fast to play. New maps and terrain analysis too. The maps and counters are certainly the nicest for any of my games.
Cheers,
Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Robin, while A5A is one of my favorite wargames concerning the Civil War, Battle Hymm has significantly heightened the role as my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I know what I'm buying next...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't regret it. Finishing up first day at Gettysburg and really enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.