GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any not so heavy but fun Miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Limi Slime
msg tools
I just saw that Kickstarter campaign on that Monumental miniature/civilization game.

It looks pretty good and simple. Components are to a minimal amount and the deck building aspect is interesting too.

Problem is... it's pretty expensive with a semi sketchy company, or so I heard. The campaign itself looked rushed? There are no stretch goals or videos. The link to a video on youtube the community contact on bgg posted was 8 hours long. I am not sifting through that for an overview.

So yeah, as my first miniature, I'm looking for something lighter. The civilization/deck building aspect would be awesome bonuses.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Do you want a real miniature game or do you want a board game that has miniatures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest is lighthearted and comes with a bunch of minis in just the base box. Then if you want more of the game, there's a full campaign expansion, and several smaller expansions that add mechanics.

The rules for when monsters attack you can be a tiny bit finicky, but are not heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want minis you can paint? Or do you just feel like having miniatures to look at while playing the game?

Most minis games I'm aware focus far more on combat than on "civ" building.

Scythe is a magnificent game and has miniatures for the heroes, as well as small "mech" minis (which are about halfway between pawn and mini).

For more combat heavy games:

Blood Rage is a very accessible combat and battling game with nice minis.

Rising Sun might fit the bill as well. But its pricey.

Cthulhu Wars has amazing miniatures and exciting gameplay. But its very pricey.

If you want to get into adventure/dungeon crawl, you've got a lot of choices with minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You may want to try the miniatures from Necromunda: Underhive. They all may be plastic and not metal if you are looking to conserve weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Limi Slime
msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
Do you want minis you can paint? Or do you just feel like having miniatures to look at while playing the game?

Scythe is a magnificent game and has miniatures for the heroes, as well as small "mech" minis (which are about halfway between pawn and mini).

If you want to get into adventure/dungeon crawl, you've got a lot of choices with minis.

Thanks. I wont be painting any. I used to paint Gunpla models but I get the feeling I butchered them more. So I give up. I just like the miniatures to look at and move rather than tokens or whatnot.

Any recommendations for adventures? I'll youtube everything later tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limilicious wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Thanks. I wont be painting any. I used to paint Gunpla models but I get the feeling I butchered them more. So I give up. I just like the miniatures to look at and move rather than tokens or whatnot.

Any recommendations for adventures? I'll youtube everything later tonight.

If you don't want to paint, you might want to aim for games where the minis are at least color-coded; those look a lot better than all plain gray models.

There are tons of mini-based adventure games these days (though whether any are much good is up to debate. )...Sword & Sorcery, Massive Darkness, Arcadia Quest, Galaxy Defenders, Stuffed Fables, The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game, Folklore: The Affliction, Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Mansions of Madness: Second Edition.

I'd suggest you stay clear of Shadows of Brimstone and any of the GW games as they take a lot of assembly and really need to be painted to look good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Limi Slime
msg tools
StormKnight wrote:

If you don't want to paint, you might want to aim for games where the minis are at least color-coded; those look a lot better than all plain gray models.

There are tons of mini-based adventure games these days (though whether any are much good is up to debate. )...Sword & Sorcery, Massive Darkness, Arcadia Quest, Galaxy Defenders, Stuffed Fables, The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game, Folklore: The Affliction, Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Mansions of Madness: Second Edition.

I'd suggest you stay clear of Shadows of Brimstone and any of the GW games as they take a lot of assembly and really need to be painted to look good.

Well, yes. It depends on the person but I like asking people more than looking at huge lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limilicious wrote:
Well, yes. It depends on the person but I like asking people more than looking at huge lists.

Yeah, I just don't really like any of them, so I can't help much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Limi Slime
msg tools
StormKnight wrote:

Forgot to ask, on the subject of pre-painted minis. Are any of those painted? I don't pereonally mind that much. But you made a point. Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limilicious wrote:
Forgot to ask, on the subject of pre-painted minis. Are any of those painted? I don't pereonally mind that much. But you made a point. Lol

None of the ones I listed are pre-painted, but most of the Cthulhu Wars and Rising Sun minis are in nice faction colors, so they look good even unpainted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia has beautiful pre-painted figures:

The tiles and cards of a comparable quality, and the game plays beautifully. That's not just my opinion - see the ratings. Those are the result of years of play, not just marketing drivel which is all you'll see for most Kickstarter projects (which are often sold at the vaporware stage).

The only drawback is that it's meant to be two-player game. It plays well solo, and a few three-player scenarios are available, but if you're wanting to play with a group it won't serve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Limilicious wrote:
Problem is... it's pretty expensive with a semi sketchy company, or so I heard.

Yes, it's overpriced, but I'm still thinking of backing it. I don't remember having heard anything bad about Funforge. Could you (or someone else) please elaborate on the "semi sketchy company" part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.