GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,020 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Chronicles of Crime» Forums » General

Subject: What happens if the Publisher's app goes belly up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Wileman
msg tools
mbmb
I just stumbled on this game through the BGG newsletter entries, and I am intrigued. It's been described as similar to SHCD. I have a group of non-gamer friends that I feel would love that game (I'm hooked on it myself), but when I tried to play it with them, they were turned off by the amount of reading (one member, specifically, is dyslexic).

This seems to take the fun of that game and makes it more visual, which is less of a barrier to entry nowadays, and it excites me.

But here is my concern, which I have not seen addressed: What happens *IF* the app goes belly up? Or the publisher goes out of business, or decides to stop supporting it? Sleuth went out of business a long time ago, but you can still play their version of SHCD, because all the components are in the box. I have a son who's 1 now, but I have this hope that one day, years from now, we'll be able to play SHCD together. I have many, MANY other older games that I could also do that with. I wouldn't be sure of that with this game.

It is true that in the short term, the app would remain on your phone, and it says it doesn't use an internet connection, which means the entirety of the case is on your local device. Great. But what happens if you get a new phone, change carriers, or the phone manufacturer releases an update that renders the app unplayable? At that point, the board game becomes a throwaway item...

Does anyone else share this concern? I for one would rather if there was a PC app, not a phone app - with a little work you can pretty much get any PC app working for the foreseeable future.

I realize that nowadays, many people purchase disposable goods that were once more permanent - online-only video games, downloadable music and movies, etc - but having a physical board game reliant on an app-only component gives me pause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, then the game obviously wouldn't work anymore. This app is more complex than most other apps to use in a physical board game as well, so would be harder to replicate by fans.

The concern that apps stop working relatively quickly -- a valid concern, since there is ample precedent -- has already been discussed a lot with regards to games that use a mandatory app.
What it boils down to is whether you're willing to take that risk in exchange for the fun you'll have while the game is supported.

In order to extend the life of the game, you can put your boardgame apps that you have now on a smartphone that you do not use for anything else and subsequently disconnect from the internet. Of course this requires separate expansive hardware.

Again, the app no longer being functional is a risk that can only be mitigated, not eliminated. If you do not trust the publisher to support the game sufficienty long for you to "get value" out of the game (whatever that means to you), I think you'll just have to pass up on it.

(I'm not being snarky. I'm not backing the game on KS myself, if for other reasons.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wileman
msg tools
mbmb
I didn't think about using an old phone. I have a couple of those lying around, actually, so I don't see why I couldn't download the app there just in case. Thanks for the advice.

Other than the app problem, I feel like it's a worthy successor to SHCD. It gives you an easier framework/setup (since you have the "board"), and it helps you organize your thoughts, though it does limit the "open world" a bit by eliminating the map and directory...

May I ask why you didn't back it? I am on the fence a bit still, so I thought I'd ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is off-topic, but the reason that I'm not backing is that this is basically a video game with a few cardboard bits to activate the app. The entire actual game is in the app.
When I'm playing a boardgame, I want to play an actual boardgame, not a video game where furthermore only one person at a time can stare at a tiny screen (if I want a video game, I'll buy a video game, but then I'll play that on my computer, where I have a large screen). That's why I'll just buy the next iteration of SHCD when we're done with the first box.

This is obviously personal preference; I'm not saying it's bad or other people shouldn't get it. If you're interested in playing a game on your phone, I'm sure this is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that your question should be:
What happens if when the Publisher's app goes belly up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wileman
msg tools
mbmb
I was trying to be nice

C&H - that's a very valid point and one that I am also on the fence about as well. I'm not as big of a boardgamer as many here - I mainly have an affinity for SHCD and similar games (Mysterium, Deception:Hong Kong). What's keeping me interested in this is that I can play it myself, since getting others excited to play is hit or miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Keep in mind that your question should be:
What happens if when the Publisher's app goes belly up?

Seeing as each scenario is only playable once, I would imagine that most people would have played every scenario before that happens anyway and it would be irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wileman
msg tools
mbmb
It depends on the person/group, I would think.

I've had SHCD for about a year now, and haven't finished it. Finding quiet time and/or getting a group together is easier said than done for me.

I also have "forgotten" several of the SHCD scenerios enough that I can play them from scratch and not have it feel too repetitive, which is helpful for having new players join your group.

I love this concept in theory, I really do. And I don't see how they could accomplish all that they CLAIM that they'll do without the smart device angle.

I watched the Rahdo video - having suspects move from place to place based on a time of day, or respond in different ways based on whether you talked to another person first, or found a piece of evidence, etc. fascinates me.

Here's a question - and I doubt the answer will be what I expect - but in Rahdo's video, he shows a

Spoiler (click to reveal)
location with a dead body, which after examining it is taken to the morgue. Does that mean if you look at the location for clues again, that body would be gone? I'd think so, but I dunno if they'll go quite that immersive.

Point is, there's a LOT of promise. I'm just concerned that the app will disappear. It's not a huge price point, though...

(I know, I sound like I'm convincing myself to go for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vergonjeanne
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Publisher here.
The plan is simple. If we ever go out of business, or can't maintain the app anymore, we will make 100% of the source code public.

But we are very far from this scenario at the moment, and are focusing on delivering a ton of extra content by signing a lot of freelance authors to keep bringing original and well written scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
... When I'm playing a boardgame, I want to play an actual boardgame, not a video game where furthermore only one person at a time can stare at a tiny screen...

This is a point I also had in mind, but then I found an easy solution for this (at least for me).

We are always playing our board games in the living room, where our large TV is. I intend to mirror the smartphone (or tablet) screen on TV, so that everybody can easily see and comment the pictures of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vergonjeanne
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carraway0877 wrote:
Gswp wrote:
... When I'm playing a boardgame, I want to play an actual boardgame, not a video game where furthermore only one person at a time can stare at a tiny screen...

This is a point I also had in mind, but then I found an easy solution for this (at least for me).

We are always playing our board games in the living room, where our large TV is. I intend to mirror the smartphone (or tablet) screen on TV, so that everybody can easily see and comment the pictures of the game.

Great point Ricky. It's a great usage scenario. We have tried it ourself and really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to convince friends to back the game but I often get confronted to the same question. Usually when publishers add an app to a board game, the question revolves around whether an app adds anything to the board game.

For Chronicles of Crime, people from my gaming group ask: what is the added value of 'board-game part' of the game. In other words, they ask why this is not just a digital game. How would you answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vergonjeanne
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board game part helps draw a visual picture of the story. The strength of the game is the amount of combinaisons that can be done, and having all the clues, characters and evidence slowly visually growing in front of the group is the only way to keep everyone involved.

The app itself is not a game! It's a digital book.
It allows you to avoid searching for a text, page 34, paragraph 345, potentially spoiling yourself by looking/reading around.

It makes the reading more efficient, and its digitalization allow for quite typo fixes, and obvisouly bring extra content without physical material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wileman
msg tools
mbmb
It is always really cool when the publisher posts!

I will say that I did the tutorial and case 1 with the PnP, which is enough to get me to back it. I hope that the QR codes will change sometime between now and release, so that you can't just play for free if you have the PnP...but I'm sure you've thought of that

Thank you also for the assurance about the source code.

After playing the scenerio, I do have one criticism:

The crime scene in Lambeth gardens remains the same, even 1. at different times of the day and night and 2. when the body is specifically said to be taken to the morgue.

Might I suggest removing the line about the body being taken to the morgue? It would help the realism since the body's still there.

Also, It'd help if, when you're there at night (as specifically stated as you move through the case) that it changes to night in the crime scene VR.

Just a suggestion to help with immersion!

Thanks for creating a new take on the detective game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vergonjeanne
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason!

My answer:

We are considering it indeed! It should be doable. It's just extra work.
But it's the kind of details that truly resonates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel van Aalsum
Netherlands
flag msg tools
After I played the PnP I was thinking the 'board game aspect' is some kind of Murder Board.
The app let's you go to places, search scenes, talk to people. But to memorize all the things you've seen you place it on the 'Murder Board' to see if there is something missing or to connect the dots to close the mystery.
We have a magnetic board at home and placed all the clues/suspects on it like a real murder board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Estella

California
msg tools
mb
StayChilled wrote:
After I played the PnP I was thinking the 'board game aspect' is some kind of Murder Board.
The app let's you go to places, search scenes, talk to people. But to memorize all the things you've seen you place it on the 'Murder Board' to see if there is something missing or to connect the dots to close the mystery.
We have a magnetic board at home and placed all the clues/suspects on it like a real murder board.

Me and my wife felt the same way.

I was reluctant and thought the game would hover towards video gamey. But, I'm happy to know that the physicality of the board game is still there.

You lay out all possible evidence, suspects, victims, witnesses, locations, etc and still have to physically (in your mind) connect the dots on how the cards work and relate to each other. You still have to discuss with your group as to how each ones connect and how it relates to the crime/story. You can't just willy-nilly pick random things as it will run the time down.

I'd like to think of the board and cards as like in those detective shows where the investigator/detective has string strewn across a board and connects all leads.

I haven't played Sherlock Holmes, but I feel the app immerses you more
in the game because you can see the location or crime scene, compared to having to imagine yourself in London (or someplace).

I love that IF/WHEN they do decide to pull the plug on support, they would take a look into providing the source code to the public. The possibilities of stories are limited only by imagination.

Instant back after the PnP. Can't wait for the full game and all scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wileman
msg tools
mbmb
I agree.

I'm thinking of using this game and some post-its as an aid for Consulting Detective as well. One of my wife's main criticisms of that game is the constant notetaking - this changes it into a very visual tool, which I think helps a lot, both with immersion and being more fun.

Thank you for considering my thoughts, Vincent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.