GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Claudio Floreani
msg tools
When I came up with my wooden storage solution, I wrote a post (here) with the intent to show how enthusiasm for what I've done and inspire other to do their best, being myself inspired from other pictures I've googled around.

I didn't imagine to receive up to today private messages from people asking me if I can rebuild and sell it to them! Unfortunately I am not a professional and I don't even have the proper tools to make it cost-effective. Despite being quite a simple work, it requires a lot of time because it needs a lot of precision to saw, to assembly and to nail.
But I still encourage you to try to build your own, and adapt my design to your needs, because there's nothing better than a custom solution!
When I started to build it I didn't know how it would came up, I simply started by cutting the wood and arranging it different ways until I was satisfied with the result, and only then I stick the parts together. So I did not make a project otherwise I would have released it before, and I apologize with all the enthusiastic people so far that have asked me the details of the measures and some instructions, if I have not shared them until now.

Finally, here they are! I hope you have fun building it your own. Needless to say, you can copy my design and change it to suit your needs, but don't sell it as your own. If you want a perfect result but you don't have time or skills to craft it, please contact me, or make a contribution (see below). The more people are interested, the more likely I will ask a professional service to build a batch and sell it at an affordable cost.

I suggest to you use plywood because it's lightweight and easy to work. If you are able to outline the cutting lines precisely and saw it perfectly, you really need only a wooden saw and something to clamp the panels. Always wear protections (especially for eyes and hands) when working with wood.

WHAT YOU NEED
▪ Eye protection mask
▪ Suitable gloves
▪ Rules and square set
▪ A pencil or fine marker
▪ Clamps
▪ Wooden saw
▪ Hammer and nails and/or glue for wood
▪ Plywood, 6mm and 8mm thick

PLYWOOD 6mm
▪ 2x long walls: 600x80mm
▪ 2x short walls: 312x80mm
(=4x pcs)

PLYWOOD 8mm
▪ 1x base: 600x300mm
▪ 15x deck dividers (short): 92x38mm (A)
▪ 2x deck dividers (long): 300x20mm (B)
▪ 1x half board divider: 300x20mm (C)
▪ 1x gear divider (long): 300x20mm (D)
▪ 1x gear divider (short): 52x20mm (E)
▪ 2x cardboard supports: 52x20mm
▪ 1x terrain tiles divider: 102x20mm (F)
▪ 2x settlement divider: 240x38mm (G)
▪ 2x extra dividers: 60x38mm (H)
(=28x pcs)

The main container has the exact measure of the inside of the original box, and it's tall 8cm, so that if you lay the game board and the miniature box on its top, the original box would still close perfectly. Of course, you can use this extra space to accomodate other storage for future expansions.

1) Start by cutting all the needed pieces.

2) Before making the main container, follow the picture to draw the lines of the various compartments on the base. I find it easier to lean the dividers on the base one by one, tracing their contour and measuring the distance from each other.

3) Nailing/glueing the base (600x300mm, h=8mm) to the walls (2x 600x80mm + 2x 312x80mm, h=6mm) is possibly the trickiest part because you have to ensure that they result being orthogonals.

4) All the dividers are 8mm thick, and all have a height of 20mm except the following that are 38mm tall: 15x short dividers for the decks (A), 2x long pieces that delimits the settlement tiles (G) and 2x short dividers for the ongoing campaign cards (H).

5) I used a wider piece to divide the two terrain compartments and lift them with a suction cup; if you don't have it you can just use a normal, 6mm thick, 102x20mm divider (F) so there is space to lift the terrain with the fingers.

6) Once you glued all the compartments there are some tiny optimizations that I suggest. Refer to the red circles in the following picture

6.a) First, attach 2x vertical supports for the game board to the half board divider, it will help distribute the weight of the board and the upper compartments (if you plan to have any).

6.b) Then you may want to stick a little, 4-5mm balsa strip, 240mm long, to hold still the settlement location tiles, and this serves also to keep the bleeding tokens from spreading around.

6.c) Under the settlement location tiles there is room for all the extra round tokens, but to hold them firmly you can cut a little wood piece of the exact measure you need. I did not stick it to the base, so there will be room for additional tokens if I happen to have more.

CAN YOU BUY ONE?

Despite being quite a simple work, I am not a professional and I don't even have the proper tools to make it time and cost-effective. But the more people are interested, the more likely I will ask a professional service to build a batch and sell it at an affordable cost.

If you feel generous and want to encourage me to start producing a batch and sell it at an affordable cost, you can leave me a small contribution. I will really appreciate this, and I will deduct you the same amount if I start selling this or other gaming extras, such as these, or this dice/location tray:

Happy crafting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Many thanks!

I’ll probably use your plans for a foamcore insert, I have zero carpentry skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Teodore
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

I don't either know carpentry either, but it seems simple enough to build and worth the time needed to learn. The way it streamlines organization and gameplay is too good to pass up. One could even spray paint it black and it's 100%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cruel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you plan on posting the measurements for the settlement and monster tray ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Nebauer
Germany
flag msg tools
Awesome build. Thank you for sharing your work. Just a quick question. Does this insert only handle the base game or is there room for expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimsonsun God
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
YourCandyDealer wrote:
Awesome build. Thank you for sharing your work. Just a quick question. Does this insert only handle the base game or is there room for expansions?

I'm planning on doing something like this but instead of a box using a Drawer in a wooden Display Cabinet. That way I can store the game in the lower half and display the minis in the top of it. Only thing I've got to figure out now is if I'm going to buy a second hand cabinet from ebay (you can pick them up for under £10 if you collect it)though that will require some luck that's there one near enough at the right time or if I'm going to build my own from scratch which would be more expensive but I could heavily customise it to be perfect for my needs.

Sounds like a lot of effort and expense I know but its a fraction of what I've invested into this game and with a small child looking to get into everything its sensible to get things out of her reach in a accessable place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.