Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
Hey folks!

I was a bit sad there wasn't a single box / organizer out there for the base game and its two expansions. So this is what I made :

box front

box back

insert fits in box

detail of outcomes deck holder

Sorry for the bad picture quality by the way.

So I had the box printed by Boardgamesmaker (http://www.boardgamesmaker.com/print/game-box-large-square-3...) with a design I created, it's a 10.5x10.5x3" box with a matte linen finish. The quality really did match my high expectations. The price was around $30 w/o shipping.

I had the insert lasercut by Sculpteo (French factory based near Paris, but they also own a factory in the USA) on a 3mm thick MDF board. I also did the design myself and it was really easy to assemble it, though I had to glue some pieces together. The price was around €70 w/o shipping. (http://www.sculpteo.com/fr/decoupe-laser/materiaux-decoupe-g...)

I'm currently working on a revised design of the rulebook so it matches the dimensions of the box, but I still have a lot of work to do on this one. According to estimations I made, the price will be around $30 w/o shipping.

The insert is fully functional but I did make some mistakes on the design, like too much empty space at one place and not enough at another. Nothing very important but still annoying. And because I want it to be perfect, there's still some work here too.

I might add some other pictures later with better lighting, but that's all for now. Tell me what you think about it. If you like it, I might give you my files so that you can have it printed and sent to you like I did myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive never been so aroused by a box before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
I've just taken new photographs so you can have a better look at it.

Ok so there are 5 player trays, each containing the spacecraft cards and tokens, along with the space agency card and mission planning sheets.

The location cards are stored like this (base game / OP / stations)

The advancement cards and mission cards each have a tray (I'll add dividers to help browsing through the decks):

The components are stored in a tray with three cells (I will also add dividers)
Left: rockets, thrusters, shuttles, fuel
Middle: Probes, capsules, habitats, modules, astronauts
Right: Supplies (inc. food, spare parts, etc.), samples, local conditions

The outcome cards have a nice holder with a discard spot, each with a small step to help pick the last cards

Money is stored like this:

The time tokens are stored along with the die and the calendar marker:

Same for victory points, divided by value:

And last, each joint venture has a mini-agency tray, that allows to store the shares, the spacecraft tokens and cards, and the JV card

I hope you enjoy this, as I said I still have some work to do on this, this is only a prototype (but already well advanced).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding!

And absolutely would love the files if you get a chance to post them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this is quite good. I have an all-in-one solution but I am tempted to go to this solution it is so good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
Would you be interested in only the box or the full box + insert + redesigned rulebook package?

The full package is quite expensive but I'm afraid that if you only take the box, it will be a bit empty without the insert (I haven't tested it myself, but I've seen some other posts here with smaller boxes where everything did fit with the plastic bags).

The box design is final, so I will post the template tomorrow and you might place an order on Boardgamesmaker (shipping is actually quite long so you may want to have it sent first).

I'm still working on an insert v2.0 and on the redesigned rulebook so I can't post anything for these two at the moment. I've already worked about 80 hours on this project, I think I need at least 20 more hours (that's a week of work because I'm only doing this at night, on my spare time...).

So please tell me what you would be interested in, and feel free to ask questions about it, I'll be glad to answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
Here's the link to the template for the box. It's a really big file (86 Mo) because Boardgamesmaker wants 300dpi pictures to have a good printing quality.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k5gwXfy-gIB-IUIBF7U9Hd9okH...

I would highly suggest you print it with Boardgamesmaker too. I'm not "advertising" here, but I can't assure you you'll get the same box quality if you choose something else. Some of you might want to buy a blank 10.5 x 10.5 x 3" box and print the design at home on adhesive paper because it would be cheaper, but the quality clearly wouldn't be the same.

Those of you willing to use Boardgamesmaker, you'll have the choice between "matte" and "gloss" which won't modify the price, and between "linen finish" or "smooth finish" (linen is of course more expensive). I chose matte and linen finish, and the box is really beautiful. If you choose something else, send me a picture of your box when you receive it

I'll let you know as soon as I finish working on the redesigned insert and the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance you can split the box top and bottom into two separate images so the file size is less of an issue?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They look awesome, I have had been meaning to design inserts for base and expansions. Wondering will there be enough room for sleeves in your design? Would like to take a look at templates. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
LHIM wrote:
Any chance you can split the box top and bottom into two separate images so the file size is less of an issue?
Well yes it would be possible but it would still be two 40+ Mo pictures, which I'm afraid are still to big to be posted here.

Dracon77 wrote:
They look awesome, I have had been meaning to design inserts for base and expansions. Wondering will there be enough room for sleeves in your design? Would like to take a look at templates. Thanks!
It depends on your sleeves actually. I think sleeved components, advancements, and missions would fit. Not sure about the features because they're stored with the components, and the right tray is already well stuffed... And for sure, there isn't enough free space in the box for sleeved location cards, unfortunately. I've been trying to make the location cards holder bigger this whole week, but it would simply not fit with the design I chose for all other game components... But give me your sleeves' dimensions anyway, I'll get a look at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Berdahl
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am all for a redesigned rulebook. I feel bad that for how good the game is their shipping can be abysmal, and of all the things the rulebook is sadly the most understated component.

It was made as a great walkthrough with a single read, but you almost need a rulebook and a reference copy just to have on the table at all times. I love the art you did for the box and it was something I was already debating doing with my own copy.

Can't wait to see what your draft of an improved, full-size rulebook would be. If there is any way I can help that isn't just money then I'd love to. I have to wait for a paycheck but I'm absolutely going to splurge on the box and I'd love to get in on a copy of the rules.

What does the page count with all of the rules in one book look like, and did you plan the book to use more color than the original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
TL;DR: first draft for redesigned rulebook comes in a week, vectorial files for the laser cut insert come tomorrow.

AsaBerdahl wrote:
I am all for a redesigned rulebook. I feel bad that for how good the game is their shipping can be abysmal, and of all the things the rulebook is sadly the most understated component.
Besides, the base game rulebook is quite thick, and there isn't enough space between the bigger box top and the insert

First, thank you for your interest! I don't need money out of this, I'm doing this mainly for myself, just sharing in case someone here is interested.

But I could use your help indeed. I'm not a native English speaker, so I make mistakes sometimes, and my sentences sometimes seem "odd" to native speakers. So when I'm done with the draft, I would really appreciate that you proof-read it and make your comments about it (design, layout, clarity, etc.), if you're willing to do it.

Some insights about the redesigned rulebook at the moment:
-> more color than the original
-> about 35 pages (but a lot of them are dedicated to the "to go further" section
-> rules from the expansions are not separated from those of the base game, they're only indicated differently, but put in the relative section.

I might be able to produce the first draft in about a week.

And for those interested, the vectorial files for the laser cut insert will be finished tomorrow. I'll post them here right after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Berdahl
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd love to help localize the rules for you a bit. I'm happy to look to help in whatever way I can. Just keep us posted on the progress. I played another game of it tonight with a regular group and we had a blast(no pun intended).

Also, don't rush yourself on the text if you need time. This is kind of a big project to undertake so it's understandable if it takes a bit to get it just right.

Can't wait to hear more and I'll be watching this thread closely. Good luck, and I'll be happy to help when the time comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The box and insert are really gorgeous. Did you ever end up posting the laser cut insert files somewhere? I'd be really interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
Hi!

Unfortunately, not yet. It's been a lot of time since I posted here, but I haven't had much time to work on this project, because of my time-taking professional activity, along with some unfortunate personal problems.

But I'm not considering stopping at all. I've since received the insert 2.0 and it's really better than the previous version. The .svg files for the laser-cutting company are actually ready and checked, so I could take some time today to upload them. This way, you could have it produced for you if you're interested.

On the other hand, the redesigned rulebook is not ready at all. I've grown really dissatisfied with what I was working on and I decided to do it again from scratch. So it took a really long time and it's not finished yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
Here's the link to the vectorial files.

http://drive.google.com/open?id=1eSn7wXvnFW5vJDOlq6_wnvl338a...

DESIGN: There are six of them, which represent six panels of wood of dimensions approx 31 x 26 cm (12 x 10 inches). On each, I've tried to group the different parts of each component in order to not transform it into a puzzle. But some parts are still separated when it was not possible to group them all.

PRODUCTION: I had it cut by the company Sculpteo, based in France and in San Francisco. It was cut on 3 mm thick MDF panels (European catalogue). I highly recommend that you use the same material and thickness because the lines in the .svg file have an offset that matches the kerf (the width of "void" left by the laser after cutting), so that pieces that are supposed to stick together really stick together (minor drawback: I used the recommended kerf given by Sculpteo but I still had to glue the pieces together in the end because it would not stand still).
You'll notice that some lines are supposed to be engravings, and not cutting lines. It should pretty obvious which lines it is, because those are designs from the game (victory points symbols, number of seats, thrust). Please carefully set them as engravings and not as cutting lines when setting options in Sculpteo.
Sculpteo is quite easy to use and has detailed explanations so you shouldn't have problems with it. Be cautious though, because Sculpteo is very fast to produce your order, and won't refund you if you made an error when setting the options. So if you have any doubt, please contact me (here or in PM) to ask any question you wish, because I really want you to enjoy this insert.

ASSEMBLY: Since I did it mostly for me, I haven't bothered making instructions for assembly. Normally it's not possible to assemble parts that are not supposed to go together because the indents are all different. Besides, the photographs posted above, along with the fact that most pieces that go together are near one another, should guide you through it. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any issue though.

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarteld wrote:
Here's the link to the vectorial files.

http://drive.google.com/open?id=1eSn7wXvnFW5vJDOlq6_wnvl338a...

DESIGN: There are six of them, which represent six panels of wood of dimensions approx 31 x 26 cm (12 x 10 inches). On each, I've tried to group the different parts of each component in order to not transform it into a puzzle. But some parts are still separated when it was not possible to group them all.

PRODUCTION: I had it cut by the company Sculpteo, based in France and in San Francisco. It was cut on 3 mm thick MDF panels (European catalogue). I highly recommend that you use the same material and thickness because the lines in the .svg file have an offset that matches the kerf (the width of "void" left by the laser after cutting), so that pieces that are supposed to stick together really stick together (minor drawback: I used the recommended kerf given by Sculpteo but I still had to glue the pieces together in the end because it would not stand still).
You'll notice that some lines are supposed to be engravings, and not cutting lines. It should pretty obvious which lines it is, because those are designs from the game (victory points symbols, number of seats, thrust). Please carefully set them as engravings and not as cutting lines when setting options in Sculpteo.
Sculpteo is quite easy to use and has detailed explanations so you shouldn't have problems with it. Be cautious though, because Sculpteo is very fast to produce your order, and won't refund you if you made an error when setting the options. So if you have any doubt, please contact me (here or in PM) to ask any question you wish, because I really want you to enjoy this insert.

ASSEMBLY: Since I did it mostly for me, I haven't bothered making instructions for assembly. Normally it's not possible to assemble parts that are not supposed to go together because the indents are all different. Besides, the photographs posted above, along with the fact that most pieces that go together are near one another, should guide you through it. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any issue though.

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do!
You don't take orders do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
SoylentRed wrote:
You don't take orders do you?
Well... it would be really expensive for me to send a 4+ pounds parcel to America actually. And not the best option for you either.

But it is totally possible that I order the production and have the insert sent to you by Sculpteo, so that you don't have to bother about production settings. You would just have to pay me the same amount that I pay Sculpteo, and assemble the insert yourself (I could make a basic assembly help too)

Would that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
With Luminaris getting their own laser cutter back in business (as Joe described in another thread), I wonder if sometime in the not too distant future they could consider a broken-token-style insert kit and big box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amazing, thank you! People like you continue to make the BGG community fantastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Galmiche
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mb
extendedwilsonwolfe wrote:
Amazing, thank you! People like you continue to make the BGG community fantastic
Wow, that's... very enthusiastic, thanks

So, if anybody wants me to order in their name and have it sent, ask me in PM, it'll be a pleasure to help, and we'll set out the details (shipping address, price...) together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls