GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,451 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Feudum» Forums » General

Subject: Empty chickens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurice Lutterot
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not in my possession yet, but since I have a hard time waiting I just reread the rules.

It occurred to me when a 'Starve the people' action removes all alms (rosary beads on the chickens) the Farmer's pull and Monk's push action don't seem very attractive, as it is very likely you don't score any points with it, which then also means you don't get any points for reeves and no writ card.

Since this is the only way to get beads on the chickens (beside the epoch 3 replenishment), it seems to me that most of the game these chickens will remain empty.

Is this also the experience of the people who already played the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played either but there might be some games where if a player goes farms heavy, he'd probably invest in beads, which might incentivise the Monk Guildmaster to do more pushes to get the shillings in the coffer, plus remember that the Monks get 3x more charity than a normal guild (except Farmers who are the same - they should have rich purses )

I'm sure others could come up with various other options that don't cross my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no expert by any means but I think there are a lot of things needed to be in place and go right for the starve the people action to be pulled off.

On top of that at the beginning of epoch III the board gets reset which will help if indeed the starve the people action did happen earlier.

What I mean by a lot of criteria is simply that a Noble pawn must be in the same place as an opponents subject or serf. Subjects and serfs are the second influence marker placed at a location so it will take some time I think to get subjects and serfs set up in locations. Now this may not seem like a rare occurrence but on top of this,in my opinion, the Noble pawn might be the least used one of the six.

Also, you can play a defend action to stop this from happening. If you sense an opponent might be nearing one of your serfs or subjects be sure to take a defend action card to stop him!

These thoughts just popped into my head when I read your post. I hope you are wrong and I am right too!

I hope your game comes soon!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, the coffer can get pretty full from all the purchasing on the other side. Bead purchase coins actually roll to the farm.

Beads enable overflow to the merchant; so, a field heavy player may invest well with the monk to buy beads for their fields and push low vp return beads to stifle vp profit pushes from the farm.

It's a funny circle.

Only one play with three, will need to see more to what may break down. Didn't love the randomized bead draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
plus remember that the Monks get 3x more charity than a normal guild

I don't understand. Is the 3x more charity because the Merchant and Alchemist are used more than the Knight and Noble?

bwills wrote:
On top of that at the beginning of epoch III the board gets reset which will help if indeed the starve the people action did happen earlier.

I just want to clarify. The board doesn't get reset. It gets restocked to match the beginning of the game. You leave the extra stuff alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just want to clarify. The board doesn't get reset. It gets restocked to match the beginning of the game. You leave the extra stuff alone.

Doesn't reset mean that if there is no bead on a chicken that you put one there? I only assumed so, if it's not the case I'd like to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
tzutzy wrote:
plus remember that the Monks get 3x more charity than a normal guild

I don't understand. Is the 3x more charity because the Merchant and Alchemist are used more than the Knight and Noble?

Sorry that was my bad.

I was thinking about the Monk and Farmer guilds collecting cash due to the 'charity' payments but really the Monks only get shillings from purchases in the Alchemist and Merchant guilds, whilst Farmers get it from all other 3 guilds on the other side.

So looks like Farmers are a bit better from that perspective than Monks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwills wrote:
Quote:

Doesn't reset mean that if there is no bead on a chicken that you put one there? I only assumed so, if it's not the case I'd like to know!

Short answer is yes. Long answer is below.

5. Replenish Guilds (dawn of epoch 3 only)
At the dawn of epoch 3, replenish the 6 guilds with resources so they cover the spaces indicated at setup. (Leave any extra resources where they are.)

This is probably a semantics argument. When I read "rest the board", I imagine resetting the guilds back to exactly like they were at the start of the game. Restock is you bring the resources of the guild back up to the minimum of the starting setup. The former would have you removing extract resources and the later would leave the extra resources alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zerus Williams
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With no beads on the chickens, a "pull" action from a journeyman farmer is not very favorable, you're not likely to pull a 5 value bead (don't even know if there's any in the game).

A "push" action from the Monk guild master is more likely to result in success. The high value bead will always be 3 or higher, which is enough to score points when the monks push. It's a 50-50 chance that you'll select the right hidden bead, though.

It takes a fair amount of cooperation to keep the markets moving. Farmers have to harvest, alchemists have to build, guild masters have to keep the goods moving around - or the economy chokes. So it may and probably will happen that you'll take a "less than optimized" guild action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Llewellyn
msg tools
I just finished a 2p game where all the chicken spaces were full for most of the game. The guild master at the priest was very active with the push action. I would guess every game is a little different as far as which guilds are being utilized the most. We realized that the only way to set the beads spaces back to empty was to use the starve the people action like you mentioned but you need to have a noble pawn which neither of us had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.