GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,374 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Hundertfrank
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hallo everyone

it's been around half a year since I was introduced to cosmic encounter and I realy love this game.

Most matches I play are with 4-6 players. 7 players was our maximum. I feel like there are some matches in which there are too many complex aliens which sometimes weaken the game flow and I think it is connected to our group, which rather favours red aliens. I like those too and love game changing abilities, but sometimes it just feels too mutch.

So I'm interested in changing the way aliens are selected.

So far my idea:

Giving each color a value.

Green: 1
Yellow: 2
Red: 3

The players have a usable value of 4. So they get one of the following combinations to choose their alien from:

1) 4 green aliens
2) 2 green + 1 yellow alien
3) 2 yellow aliens
4) 1 red + 1 green alien

Chances are that people will decide to take more aliens to choose from, rather than picking the version that includes the red one.

And yes I know, the color does not just symbolize the complexity of an alien, but overall green ones tend to be more straight forward.

TL;DR: Do you have any other "creative" ways of alien selection? I'm especially interested in any kind of a valuing system or haveing an influence on what I choose from.

Kind regards and thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this situation should work itself out. A lot of the most powerful aliens in the game are green. The reds aren't more powerful, they're just less newbie friendly for some reason. They're not even necessarily more complicated; void and virus are very simple, they just have powers that are difficult for new players to mitigate.

I think your best option might be to simply remove aliens you don't like playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try just limiting yourself to amount of text on an alien.

Although, to be fair, many aliens that were added to the game in the 5th and 6th expansions have so much text because we tried to really get in front of edge cases when describing what the alien and does and when. The long ones are often not that complex when you actually play them, but because we wanted to mitigate as many questions as possible, they did get wordy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Well, if what you want is less complexity or radical changes to the game using the sempahore system I would do as follows:

Set a maximum of red aliens per game. Say, 2. Then give only two players red aliens, while the rest have green and yellow ones.

Still, I think the semaphore system won't get you very far in this. I don't think most aliens, even red ones, are very complex, and some yellow ones might. So I would only filter out some aliens that are indeed very complex or game-changing like Ace of Schizoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hundertfrank
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

One aspect that drove me to rethink the selection mode is that not only I, but also two of my friends own the game. Limiting the aliens I have won't do the job, since I only have conflict and incoursion as expansions, which I personally think are mostly kept simple enough to not overload a match.

One friend has all expansions and the other one has all but alliance and storm.

I'm very familiar with the aliens I own and am confident to answer any questions related to their abilities to our group. I think the explaining, missreading, rereading and rethinking of aliens expands a lot with other expansions. And my thought was that at least the green ones might have kept more simple. Although I dont have that much of an overview about these expansions as I don't own them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.