GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,712 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn» Forums » General

Subject: Getting into Ashes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lena
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've always been sorta interested in Ashes but there seem to be a lot of expansions for it so I'm not sure where to start and how essential the expansions are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you need to get started is the core set (and that's actually what I'd recommend initially so you can get a feel for the different dice type themes to see what you might want to buy next). Here's a pretty in-depth look at most of the expansions that I wrote a while back.

If you have questions about a particular expansion, don't be afraid to ask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking up the core set and playing games with the 6 decks included will give you lots of games and a great feel for the game.

Then you can try deck building and play a bunch more games.

And then, if you're still having fun, pick up a couple expansions and repeat the above.

Unlike many a card game, the core for Ashes is a self contained unit that will provide lots of gaming without you needing to add to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lena
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both!

Another worry I had how viable is customizing decks when you only own single copies of the core / expansions. Like, can I play with a friend / partner and mess around with decks without needing two copies of each set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends what your objective is:

1. If it is to fool around and experiment like you ask, you can build 3-4 decks easily without using more than 3 copies of each card. The base game has 6 decks so one could in theory build 6 decks without them being base ones. In a sense a draft version would accomplish that. So the answer is yes.

2. If it is to learn the cards, play base decks first then do a draft. So yes again.

3. If it is to be competitive at local tournament leave, you will need a second copy of all the cards. So no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolga wrote:
3. If it is to be competitive at local tournament leave, you will need a second copy of all the cards. So no.

You can arguably create two tournament quality decks out of the same set (particularly if you have all the expansions), but your choices will of course be constrained (and if you overlap dice types much you'll have some hard choices to make).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.