GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,198 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/sanders-says-trump-didnt-ad...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What a terrible job. Who would want to wake up everyday having to do this?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, just because he made stuff up, it doesn't mean that he was lying.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
She lied
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

The story about him lying to the Prime Minister of Canada was made up. It never really happened. He was lying about lying. It's like those Russian nesting dolls.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

The story about him lying to the Prime Minister of Canada was made up. It never really happened. He was lying about lying. It's like those Russian nesting dolls.


No Russian dolls, no Russian dolls. Not a puppet, YOU'RE a puppet.
17 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So Trump said:

"Nice guy, good-looking guy, comes in — 'Donald, we have no trade deficit.' I said, 'Wrong, Justin, you do.' I didn't even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, 'You're wrong.'"

If we go by the thinking of Harry G. Frankfurt, in his classic work "On Bullshit", what Trump was did wasn't lying. It was bullshitting. Frankfurt categorized bullshitting is similar to lying, but not the same:

Main Similarities

1) Both liars and bullshitters (bsers) want you to believe that they are telling the truth.
2) And both want to get away with something.

Major Differences

Liars

1) Liars engage in a conscious act of deception.
2) Liars know the truth, but attempt to hide it. (that’s what they want to get away with.)
3) Liars spread untruths, but they still accept the distinction between the truth and false.

Bsers

1) Bsers do not consciously deceive.
2) Bsers just don’t know or care about the truth. (that’s what they want to get away with.)
3) Bsers ignore or reject the distinction between truth and falsity altogether.

https://ieet.org/index.php/IEET2/more/Messerly20170206
13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
Frankfurt categorized bullshitting is similar to lying, but not the same:

Yeah, well, anyone who tells you there's a difference between lying and bullshitting is lying.

Also, now I'm curious to know who in the Christian pantheon is the Lord of Bullshit. (Or, more likely, the Baron of Bullshit?)
13 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
bowen wrote:
Frankfurt categorized bullshitting is similar to lying, but not the same:

Yeah, well, anyone who tells you there's a difference between lying and bullshitting is lying.

Also, now I'm curious to know who in the Christian pantheon is the Lord of Bullshit. (Or, more likely, the Baron of Bullshit?)


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Meditations on Turning Eight", by Lisa Simpson:

I had a Cat named Snowball, she died, she died.
Mom said she was sleeping, she lied, she lied.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
bowen wrote:
Frankfurt categorized bullshitting is similar to lying, but not the same:

Yeah, well, anyone who tells you there's a difference between lying and bullshitting is lying.

Of the two (using Frankfurt’s categories), I think bullshitting is morally worse. There seems something really low to me about not even caring what is true.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Since Trump is clearly a psychopath he genuinely would not understand the concept of morality. He says and does things to get what he wants which is the only aim of his actions. The concept of truth is alien to him. Thus the whole alternative facts thing. He just says what will get what he wants and that to him is the correct statement. Trump has surrounded himself with people who actually don't think there is such a thing as truth or morality.
There is no point feeling sorry for such a press secretary based on what she is asked to do, only on what she is.
Having such a personality is so alien to most of us that most people don't seem to believe exactly what is happening.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what he always does. He makes an appeal to emotion, usually patriotism. It usually involves some alternative facts - e.g., America is the victim, but now we're hitting back. Take that! His base applauds him, because he makes them feel good. The press then calls him on the alternative facts. Huckabee-Sanders and Trump then pretend he didn't actually say that, that he was just joking or exaggerating, but the press was too stupid to see his cleverness. Also, they take that opportunity to point to the press to show, "Look, they are attacking the President again, and they are too dumb to see he was just joshing everyone." And they are again showing how they are just elitists that have no idea what ordinary American lives are about, with their facts. Then it becomes a "witch hunt" by the "fake news." His base laughs and laughs and laughs at the President again showing up the MSM.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Sue_G wrote:
This is what he always does. He makes an appeal to emotion, usually patriotism. It usually involves some alternative facts - e.g., America is the victim, but now we're hitting back. Take that! His base applauds him, because he makes them feel good. The press then calls him on the alternative facts. Huckabee-Sanders and Trump then pretend he didn't actually say that, that he was just joking or exaggerating, but the press was too stupid to see his cleverness. Also, they take that opportunity to point to the press to show, "Look, they are attacking the President again, and they are too dumb to see he was just joshing everyone." And they are again showing how they are just elitists that have no idea what ordinary American lives are about, with their facts. Then it becomes a "witch hunt" by the "fake news." His base laughs and laughs and laughs at the President again showing up the MSM.


Thats exactly the sort of 'explanation' Id expect from a Feminazi SJW.

If you're explaining you are LOSING, and Trump is a WINNER. Get him the biggest goddamn stuffed Russian bear with a cute little ushanka and a I Love Putin Tshirt you can find and mail it to Mar-a-lago cuz Trump is WINNING!!!!! Librul tears are delicious, mail them to the same place as Mueller's subpoenas!!!!

MAGA!!! #Muellerisacuck

We have the President America deserves......

Darilian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I hear her say "the president has been clear..."

Mother fucker has never been clear about anything ever....that's his whole shtick...NOT BEING CLEAR
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.