GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,493 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

High Frontier (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: A LOT of questions...: Dry Slingshot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anarcho Paladin
msg tools
Hey there,

I've read the Colonization rulebook twice since last Christmas, and I got A LOT of questions to ask... I've read the whole rules' section on this forum in order not to ask a question that might already have been answered. I indeed found some answers, but also new interrogations... I've got, let's see... 19 questions (yup).

In order not to overload the forum, I will ask them in diffrenet threads, trying to group them when appropriate. I will also keep the "A LOT of question" title in the subject, for archiving purposes.

First one, the rules in F6 mention a "dry slingshot", which isn't defined or mentioned again anywhere. From the living rules:

Quote:
Dry Slingshot (Colonization). You may gain flyby bonuses while coasting which you can use to enter further non-lander burns or make pivots.

I just don't understand what that means... Is this refering to the possibility of coasting on a Hohmann at the end of a turn and then changing direction for free the next turn? That's my guess, anyway, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Edit: Few spelling mistakes corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slingshots generally give you a +1 Thrust Movement Point, which you can spend for free (i.e. you don't have to expend fuel to use that +1 TMP). So if you are coasting, having expended all your available TMPs and/or fuel and you enter a slingshot, you still gain the +1 bonus TMP. I think that might be what Dry Slingshot is about. I just think of slingshots as slingshots and play that you always get the bonus if you can enter the space (provided any other special restrictions are also met, such as with the Venus flyby).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes. that is exactly what a dry slingshot is. When you're out of gas you are restricted from taking any action that would expend fuel (going through a burn, pivoting, firing your afterburner to increase your thrust for landing). Thrust provided by a slingshot is an exception to this because burns and pivots entered while you have temporary slingshot thrust don't deduct fuel until you've used up the slingshot thrust or you've ended your movement. All the dry slingshot entry is noting is that you can still slingshot even after running out of gas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a rule that is pointing out where an exception isn't, which isn't the clearest thing in the world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anarcho Paladin
msg tools
Domfluff wrote:
Yeah, it's a rule that is pointing out where an exception isn't, which isn't the clearest thing in the world

Gee, indeed! Thanks people!

Edit: Ha, and by the way, just to be sure, temporary TMPs got through a slingshot only last for the same movement, which means I cannot save them for, say, next turn, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchopaladin wrote:
Domfluff wrote:

Gee, indeed! Thanks people!

Edit: Ha, and by the way, just to be sure, temporary TMPs got through a slingshot only last for the same movement, which means I cannot save them for, say, next turn, right?

That is correct, no saving across turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anarcho Paladin
msg tools
Cool, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.