GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

GKR: Heavy Hitters» Forums » General

Subject: Why so little GKR noise on the forums? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen all that much activity on the forums yet regarding GKR: Heavy Hitters (Giant Killer Robots). Any thoughts as to why?

I'm guessing we haven't heard much because non-Kickstarter backers can't get a hold of this yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not everyone has it yet maybe, or just not played it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was wondering the same thing. One would think a game by Weta Workshop would be generating more buzz on BGG. Or at least some more thoughts under Variants, like melee rules, etc.

Well, no matter. It is a beautiful game and fits a nice niche for a light-medium weight 1-hour (plus setup time) sci-fi Shootemup. Not to mention the potential for Variants is huge (capture the flag, king of the hill, quadrant control, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a FB group that is pretty busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to point out the FB group. Personally, I'd prefer if the activity were here, but not something I can control.

The delivery to KS backers is still underway...and apparently completely blowing up in Weta's face. I am once again fortunate in that I received my game and it is intact & complete.

It's a shame as it will leave a sour taste with many that the game in itself doesn't deserve. So far I've very much enjoyed the plays I've gotten in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thad Clevenger
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I was going to point out the FB group. Personally, I'd prefer if the activity were here, but not something I can control.

The delivery to KS backers is still underway...and apparently completely blowing up in Weta's face. I am once again fortunate in that I received my game and it is intact & complete.

It's a shame as it will leave a sour taste with many that the game in itself doesn't deserve. So far I've very much enjoyed the plays I've gotten in.

I hope not, it's a great game. One thing I've noticed about BGG is "The Hotness" has little to do with how good a game is and more with marketing hype. I don't say this as an insult, but it seems like the average BGG user is interested in overly complex rules and obscure themes more so than how fun a game is. I've been meaning to write a post about this phenomenon and the current state of board games for a while. I feel like we've come to a point where good gameplay = overly complex gameplay. But I digress....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understand The Hotness is basically ranking the top-searched games at the moment. That typically follows the hot new, extra-hyped game.

However, as I type this I see My Little Scythe at the #1 spot. This has to be 1) Interest because of the Golden Geek recently, and 2) likely that folks wanting to PnP it are searching high and low for files (which are no longer available--glad I jumped on that when I did).

Now to run over to point out to Hoby his little PnP Scythe re-theme is beating Gloomhaven in The Hotness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
There is a FB group that is pretty busy.

Sucks for those of us who don't use Facebook. Seems like a growing number these days as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are buttloads of games being released every month these days ... if you're not a big name publisher or havaen't invested in marketing its normal to not get attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dreyer
United States
Torrington
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ya bump to this. This game deserves more attention. From every point of consideration this is a Great game. I've got it in the top twenty or so games ever by every metric but pure euro strategy. Maybe a full review is order, not that my opinion counts for much around here but. . . be the change you want to see and all that. .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess pvp dice roller games are a niche.

No one likes the downtime when eliminated
But i love this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsphere wrote:
I guess pvp dice roller games are a niche.

No one likes the downtime when eliminated

But i love this game

Huh? What elimination? There are two triggers for ending the game: a) one player demolishes a fourth building, or b) the first HH to be destroyed. In case b, you run through the point calculation to determine the winner.

Player elimination is only as a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who have played more then the two games I have, has anyone ever had the game finish by blowing up the 4th building? My group only plays 4 players and that may be why but we have been no where near the end game of blowing buildings up before a mech was destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most of my games had players with 3 buildings.

4 buildings usually happen when we’re mostly firing secondary weapons or poor impact from primary

If you’re double teaming alot then games will end fast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.