Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
Microbadge: WriterMicrobadge: I'm genderqueer/nonbinary!Microbadge: I play with purple!Microbadge: Pandemic: Rising Tide fanMicrobadge: Dominion fan
Hey ya’ll!
So I kept hearing soooo much good stuff about Arkham Horror LCG I decided to ask around and look into it.
First off, pulling chits out of a bag that’s not even included?
Cthullu mythos I don’t care about?
Apparently location lock is harder to get into and it’s balanced for solo play.
Apparently in Lotr LCG you have to completely rebuild your deck from the ground up every scenario according to Arkham Horror people I ask. Which, obviously, is hyperbole at best.
Arkham Horror LCG is campaign based and you only get clearance to change a few cards at a time. Also irritating is the branching outcomes that seem too hard to keep track of, sometimes I just want to win or lose, you know?
The thing that killed AHLCG for me was apparently just the core set is not enough, and you have to expand pretty much immediately. Which is dumb, Lotr LCG I bought a core set and months went by before my first expansion and adventure packs and I had a flippin’ BLAST!
So I decided to stick with a game I already know I like better.
...not sure where the discussion comes in, but I’ll let anyone chime in.
Thanks gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Eclipse fanMicrobadge: Vanuatu fanMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Squash fanMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!
Both

They both have their pro & cons over the other one, but I've enjoyed them. But if I really had to choose - LotR LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
I've never played AHLCG (I'm not into the Cthulhu theme) but I find it interesting that not everyone coming from LoTRLCG has got into it. As you mention, the token mechanism appears to be the main issue, as well as the fact that sometimes you just want to play and actually win one quest.

I do sometimes wish though that FFG had created a LoTR v2 which uses some of the AHLCG mechanisms, rather than getting into this online games stuff. I know that many people don't want to see any changes to the existing LoTR LCG game, but I would happily have played a new variant of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
Microbadge: RainbowMicrobadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Too Many Bones - Gearlocs Rock!
Coming from LotR LCG to AH LCG, I was disapointed in AH LCG. Maybe it was the hype combined with memories of regular Arkham (from before I knew there was better games ). I sold it after the first cycle. About 30 games played.

The token mechanism fell very flat for me. I can't but wonder why they didn't do something more interesting with it than just implementing a single variable sided die. Skill checks based on rolling a single die. No thanks. Committing cards to skill checks wasn't enough to make it feel like my decisions mattered more than the die roll. I much prefer the more deterministic systems in LotR LCG.

The deck-building also felt pretty uninteresting in AH LCG. I basically set the focus of the deck the first time I built the deck. Deck building from there on just meant that I switched out a card for another card that did almost the same thing, but better.
I think one of the best aspects of LotR LCG is that I have the opportunity to change the focus of my deck between scenarios. When I make a change to my deck I want it to play differently, not the same. I don't need to completely change the deck. Just switch out a few cards and maybe a hero. That kind of thing was sorely missing in AH LCG. And it was emphasized when I had a small card pool. During the first cycle of LotR LCG I remember changing up my deck left and right in order to try different things. That really hasn't been my experience with AH LCG.
Deck building in LotR LCG meant adapting my deck based on what I need to complete a scenario (knowledge usually gained by losing). In AH LCG you go in blind (unless you've played the campaign before and memorized the focus of the different scenarios). I felt the deck building lacked a purpose in AH LCG (except just "make the deck better").

AH LCG does a good job of feeling more like an interactive story though. But for me, that comes second to interesting mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fanMicrobadge: The theme is strong with this oneMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Star Wars fan
I think both gams are very good and AH does an impressive job in telling a story. Both games are heavy in deck construction
(AH is more streamlined with its leveling approach,but who can stop you tune your deck for each adventure ?). AH is pretty
hard and if you want to experience the story, you need to setup the token back (a shame its not in the box) to easy mode.
For me Lotr is better because I enjoy the theme much more. The card art in both games is amazing, but due to the horror theme
AH is a lot darker (not good if you have little kids). I sold AH because of theme and because for us the base game campaign had
no real replay ability (if you know the story the tension is gone). With lord of the rings its more like adventuring and without campaign
there is not so much pressure to push the story ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluss Burrito
Germany
NW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Take it off of my face!Microbadge: Deep Space D-6 fanMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Ghost Stories fanMicrobadge: Renegade fan
Lotr for the Win, Strategy is so minimal in AH, I cant stand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Golden File UploaderMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
datpusheen wrote:
Hey ya’ll!
So I kept hearing soooo much good stuff about Arkham Horror LCG I decided to ask around and look into it.
Apparently in Lotr LCG you have to completely rebuild your deck from the ground up every scenario according to Arkham Horror people I ask. Which, obviously, is hyperbole at best.
Arkham Horror LCG is campaign based and you only get clearance to change a few cards at a time. Also irritating is the branching outcomes that seem too hard to keep track of, sometimes I just want to win or lose, you know?
The thing that killed AHLCG for me was apparently just the core set is not enough, and you have to expand pretty much immediately. Which is dumb, Lotr LCG I bought a core set and months went by before my first expansion and adventure packs and I had a flippin’ BLAST!
Thanks gamers!
I'm not sure of your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: I like to climb stuffMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fan
datpusheen wrote:
Hey ya’ll!
Thanks gamers!
Maybe retitle your post 'I did some sloppy research and decided Arkham LCG sucks'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudeman Blarg
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Eclipse Phase RPG fanMicrobadge: Steampunk fanMicrobadge: Savage Worlds RPG fan
I do feel LotR LCG is a much better game. Largely because it, to me, driven entirely by cards. I know, that's pretty obvious, it's a card game after all. But I feel AH in comparison is less of a card game. With all the fiddly tokens, the chaos bag, skill checks, locations acting as a board, action limits, etc etc, I feel AH LCG feels less like a card game. You can go through a scenario without playing a card, and that's weird. Feels like there's too much boardgame in my card game and I'm not the biggest fan of boardgames.

I also don't like the action limit. I have all these resources but I can't play cards from my hand because of an arbitrary limit on my actions? I don't care for it at all. I really wish playing a card from your hand didn't cost an action. I truly feel that's a design flaw and it's my biggest beef with the game.

Deck building is another thing I'm not too keen on. At first I liked the idea of making a deck and tweaking it as you go. Upgrading cards with XP, but you don't have to rebuild for each scenario. That all sounded great. But with the limitations with changing a deck between scenarios, it's too restrictive and very XP prohibitive. Not only that, there's so many XP cards in the game you never have enough XP, I feel, to truly flesh out your deck. They're going to be sitting there in the binder till you get far enough in the campaign to afford them. I like the freedom in LotR where all cards are fair game for a deck from the getgo (barring Saga exceptions).

Between 5 classes and 0 XP and 1+ XP cards split between those, I feel the card pool will grow even slower than LotR. I don't know if I'm willing to stick around that long for the card pool to get exciting enough. Will I continue with cycle 3? Probably not, none of the cards I'm seeing excite me. And that's fine.

Tracking a campaign is a bummer, sometimes I just want to grab a deck and go. Continuity be damned! I don't care about the story at all, I'm a mechanics focused player. I might switch to stand alone mode from now on. It's too restrictive otherwise.

Yeah, it may seem like I'm taking a piss on AH LCG. There are many things I feel get in the way of my fun or a few design flaws, but all in all, it's an ok game. Not great, not good, just ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
Microbadge: WriterMicrobadge: I'm genderqueer/nonbinary!Microbadge: I play with purple!Microbadge: Pandemic: Rising Tide fanMicrobadge: Dominion fan
baba44713 wrote:
datpusheen wrote:
Hey ya’ll!
Thanks gamers!
Maybe retitle your post 'I did some sloppy research and decided Arkham LCG sucks'?
Yeah it was late one night and I had just gotten renewed interest in LoTR LCG and I guess I just wanted to post something about it. It’s not really a question, more of a statement. The title I thought would be catchier this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Microbadge: Japan International Gamers Guild memberMicrobadge: I play with purple!Microbadge: Galaga fanMicrobadge: Mmmph!Microbadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - Ahsoka Tano
External image

Made that for Geek Madness... thought it would be appropriate to post here too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gaming is in my DNAMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Astronomy enthusiast
I enjoy both games.

* I don't have any issues with the Chaos bag - it's a way to get a random modifier, just like rolling a die.
* I don't think rebuilding your deck is hyperbole for LotR - they designed the quests this way. Some cards work great for one quest, but are useless for another.
* I like that you're limited in card upgrades in AH - simplifies deck building. And keeping track of the campaign is simple - it's a few notes on a pad of paper, or log it on BGG.
* I guess you enjoy the LotR core quests more. I find the replayability of the LotR and AH core quests about the same. Both games are designed to get you to buy expansions (LCG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fanMicrobadge: Tokaido fan
they are quite similar with noticeable differences, but they're both good games.

i don't see why there has to be a choice unless money is a factor tbh. imo, buying either of these is just part of my overall gaming/entertainment budget, not competing with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
They are both good games. I like the campaign game a bit more in AH with the experience points to develop your deck.

I think the deck building is more varied in LOTR so if I want to play a one off then I prefer LOTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hurin Thalion
Slovenia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Not fair at all... Having Lotr theme is (almost) an instant win in 1v1 faceoffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
Microbadge: Warhammer: Diskwars fan
Honestly, I think the Arkham Horror LCG is actually pretty well designed, it just doesn't give me the same kind of deck building challenge that I'm looking for and find in the LotR one. I can replay scenarios from the LotR game over and over again just trying to find fun new ways to trounce it. As a narrative experience, I think the AH:LCG actually delivers better but after trying a couple scenarios of it I can't imagine myself wanting to go back to play them again (other than maybe to see how different endings effect the campaign but I could as well just read and find out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
Microbadge: All the Meeples of the Rainbow blogMicrobadge: Deep Space Nine fanMicrobadge: HistorianMicrobadge: Medieval History fanMicrobadge: I love New York
OK, so I'm coming at this question from two opposite extremes. Lord of the Rings, (Fellowship) I first read in a college literature course because it was the only selection that looked interesting. My copy is so old that it mentions a motion picture "coming soon." It was (and still is) the best-written book I have read to date, and I love the movies.

My first exposure to the word "Arkham" was in the Batman video games. I've played Arkham games in my group, but I have felt (and still do) that we're so oversaturated with Lovecraft games that seeing that theme, whether it's an original or a rethemed game (Pandemic Cthulu), then it's a turn off for me. It's just one of those themes that's just done way too much for me.

So I saw the Lord of the Rings Card Game and decided to get involved, and I love it. but, in plenty of other threads, some of which I've commented in, I've seen lots of comparisons to Arkham Horror the Card Game. Same designer, heard that LOTR heavily influenced it, to the point that I was thinking they'd just pasted Cthulu on in place of Sauron as the main bad guy, a literal reskinning. In fact I heard so many comparisons that I finally figured a few weeks ago to maybe just see what it was about. Was it really that close. I mean, I have been buying up adventure packs like crazy since I'm lucky enough to have jumped in while the Mirkwood Cycle is in print. So, I decided to look up some tutorials, reviews, and playthroughs...

Once I've bought everything in print for Lord of the Rings, I know my next game...I've been watching plenty of videos on LOTR, but I've probably been watching even more on Arkham. The mechanisms at play, and the fact that Cthulu isn't immediately involved, actually make it interesting looking. I still haven't played a game, and have yet to buy the core set, but it looks like a game I'd love! and, I may actually look into the Mythos. I've subscribed to several LOTR podcasts, discords, and YouTube channels already, and now I'm on Arkham too.

It wasn't a straight reskin as I'd feared. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to find the mechanism match. There are some similarities, but they really are different games. Purely based on theme, I love LOTR so that hands down. However, based on how the mechanics match the theme, I feel that AH may match theme and mechanisms even better than LOTR. And part of this is just that they've used their learning from LOTR in AH. That's natural. But, after looking at it, LOTR no longer dominates AH in my mind like an MLB team would dominate a team of 5 year olds. LOTR still wins, but I am very interested in AH. Once I get a chance to play, I'll get back to you on whether it displaces LOTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls