Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the cavalry move (up to their 3 spaces) and encounter an unattached general (who has NOT moved) on the 1st or 2nd space, can the general complete the move with the cavalry (and/or fight)or must the cavalry stop (ending their move)? Can the cavalry choose NOT to become attached to the general and keep going?

Intuitively, I think orders are given in the hex of origin and the general cannot move unless he was also given orders. The calvary can (must?) attach, but that ends their move. A way around this would be to order the general to the attack space, order the cavalry to the attack space...then they attach and are in attack position. But this takes 2 orders, not one.

This question came up in playing, and although I didn't have a lot of uncertainty about our interpretation, I couldn't find the answer spelled out anywhere. Please cite a source for your answer. (Its entirely possible it IS spelled out and I just missed it in my quick scan of the rulebook, but I don't think its explicitly in there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Cavalry question
cornjob (#32772),

In the BC FAQ from AH site, there is a Q&A under "Generals" section as follow...

Is there a simple way to sum up the rules on generals moving through units and vice versa?
It's really not complicated.
A unit can never move into or through a hex that already contains another unit;
A unit can move into, but not through, a hex that contains a lone, friendly general;
A general can move into, but not through, a hex containing a friendly unit. (The exception to this is that a retreating general must move its full retreat distance. If its retreat is blocked by a unit that is not already attached to a general, it can move through.)

Further down in "Specific Cards" Section...

Force March -- Suppose an infantry unit is adjacent to an unattached general (both in clear terrain) and Force March is played. If the infantry unit moves into the general's hex, does the general automatically attach to the unit and move with the unit to the second hex?
Yes, the general attaches, but the infantry unit cannot keep moving; it must stop.

So it is clear that when ever a unit move into a hex containing an unattached general, it must stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Cavalry question
samtang (#33978),

Thanks. So one way to say this is that if a unit moves onto a general they MUST attach, at least for the duration of that turn. I suppose the next turn you could give an order to either the general or unit (or both) and unattach them. Its clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.