Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dinosaur Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game End tie breaker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
░░▒▓███ ███▓▒░░
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulebook wrote:
"Leftover money is scored at a ratio of $5 for 1 VP. In the case of a tie, the tied player with the most leftover money wins."

Our Game End situation:

Both players are tied on Victory Point track.
Player 1: 15$
Player 2: 13$

Player 1 logic
Leftover is the key word. The total leftover money is what counts toward "the most leftover money". Player 1 wins because they have 15$ vs. 13$.

Player 2 logic
You "pay" for the Victory Points with each 5 dollar increment, so Player 1 paid 15$ for each of the 3 extra VPs, leaving 0 "leftover". Player 2 paid 10$ for 2 extra VPs, leaving 3$ "leftover". Player 2 wins because they 3$ leftover vs 0$ leftover.


Which is the correct interpretation?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
#2 is correct. Money is converted into VPs $5 for 1. So the player with $15 has no leftover money after they convert their money to VPs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Avemo3 wrote:
#2 is correct. Money is converted into VPs $5 for 1. So the player with $15 has no leftover money after they convert their money to VPs.

Player 1 still wins. They're $15 gets them 3 VPs while player 2's $13 gets them 2 VPs. No longer tied, leftover money doesn't matter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
░░▒▓███ ███▓▒░░
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Avemo3 wrote:
#2 is correct. Money is converted into VPs $5 for 1. So the player with $15 has no leftover money after they convert their money to VPs.

Player 1 still wins. They're $15 gets them 3 VPs while player 2's $13 gets them 2 VPs. No longer tied, leftover money doesn't matter.

The tie occurred when the dollar victory points were added. So the confusion here lies in the tie breaker.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Avemo3 wrote:
#2 is correct. Money is converted into VPs $5 for 1. So the player with $15 has no leftover money after they convert their money to VPs.


The rulebook says:

Leftover money is scored at a ratio of $5 for 1 VP. In the case of a tie, the tied player with the most leftover money wins.

It doesn’t seemed to be converted but simply scored. Additionally, there isn’t anything that designates there’s a difference between the leftover money before and after scoring it, which implies to me the money you have before and after scoring it are both equal and considered leftover. I’d say player 1 wins.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Bath
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pocketroid wrote:
rulebook wrote:
"Leftover money is scored at a ratio of $5 for 1 VP. In the case of a tie, the tied player with the most leftover money wins."

Our Game End situation:

Both players are tied on Victory Point track.
Player 1: 15$
Player 2: 13$


I guess I'm confused by your example. You state that both players are tied on the VP track. Is this before or after you scored money for VP?

After seeing this question, I can see the confusion. The intent, and the proper terminology, should have been convert every $5 into 1 VP.

So if player 1 was at 49 VP and player 2 was at 50 VP before conversion, both players would end up at 52 VP and player 2 would win with $3 left over.

If both players were at 50 VP before conversion, than player 1 would have 53 VP and player 2 would have 52 VP, making player 1 the winner.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
░░▒▓███ ███▓▒░░
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scoresfilm wrote:
pocketroid wrote:
rulebook wrote:
"Leftover money is scored at a ratio of $5 for 1 VP. In the case of a tie, the tied player with the most leftover money wins."

Our Game End situation:

Both players are tied on Victory Point track.
Player 1: 15$
Player 2: 13$


I guess I'm confused by your example. You state that both players are tied on the VP track. Is this before or after you scored money for VP?

After seeing this question, I can see the confusion. The intent, and the proper terminology, should have been convert every $5 into 1 VP.

So if player 1 was at 49 VP and player 2 was at 50 VP before conversion, both players would end up at 52 VP and player 2 would win with $3 left over.

If both players were at 50 VP before conversion, than player 1 would have 53 VP and player 2 would have 52 VP, making player 1 the winner.


Thankee for the reply!
Apologies for being unclear in my example. Player 1 & 2's VPs are tied, which includes the 5$=1VP ratio, which is why we needed this tie breaker clarification.

Now I understand we return 5$ to the supply in order to increase VP by 1. The money remaining is the "leftover".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.