TKG ARENA: Shrine Wars» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Bidding for The Shrine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ht Ch
msg tools
Game Objective
TKG Shrine Wars is a bidding card game.

The main objective of the game is to use the game’s currency(oinks) to bid for cards and gain as many influence points as possible by the end of the game.

Influence points are calculated based on the cards that you have acquired.

Gameplay

Early Game

The first card that was introduced at the start of the game was “UKELELE” with face value of 9. Thinking that it would be advantageous for me to get this card, I went on to bid 10 oinks for this card dismissing the fact that this move would open another card. When the next card “ESBNER” with face value of 8 was opened, I did not continue bidding as I thought it was not worth it to bid for a combination of cards with different face values. I did not expect the third card to be opened would be “UKELELE” of face value 9. The next player who bidded 20 oinks managed to acquire both cards.

First round of bidding.

Since the cards were all shuffled before the gameplay, you would not know which card will be opened next. With this Random Number Generator (RNG) factor, I realised that apart from a well-planned strategy, luck is also needed for this game.

After losing the first round of bidding, it is important for one to pick as many oinks of the same element from the bid pool. This will help you gain an advantage over other players when you bid for cards of the same element.

Mid Game

Later in the gameplay, I realised it is not very important to acquire the first cards as other players would purposefully avoid bidding values corresponding to cards that have already been acquired.

By observing the number of oinks, the other players would have noticed that I do not have the highest number of oinks for the element. I adopted a strategy to raise the bidding price of the card by bidding for a card that I do not wish to get. By doing so, the person who really wanted the card would have to bid for it with more oinks. This will in turn increase the number of oinks in the pool after each bidding phase. I think that this strategy is best applied at the start of the game where cards of different face values have not been acquired. This way, the bids would be equally distributed after their bidding.

By this section of the gameplay, I noticed that there was a high downtime for players that did not bid for a specific card.

End Game

Being conservative with my moves, I had the least number of cards amongst the other players since most of the other players already have at least two cards with the same face value. By this time, I was so desperate to bid for any cards left that all my thought-out strategies were discarded.

On hindsight, I could have adopted the kingmaking strategy by leading other players into bidding oinks corresponding to an ally’s cards or not bidding for certain cards that a possible ally needs.

These are my cards.

These are the winner’s cards.

Final Thoughts

Through this game session, I have learnt not to focus too much on finding the right strategy to play the game and be willing to take more considerable risks when playing the game.

Even though I lost, I really enjoyed the game as it challenged me with having to have each step thought out strategically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.