Marko
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you add city to map by playing action card, does it increase your Mega Credit production like when purchasing city from standard actions?

Examples:

Corporate Stronghold. "(Decrease your energy production 1 step and increase your M€ production 3 steps. Place a city tile)".

Urbanized Area. "(Decrease your energy production 1 step and increase your M€ production 2 steps...)"

Cards above mention M€ production increase. We have ruled that you don't get additional increase to your M€ production by the city itself.

Ganymede Colony. "(Place a city tile on the reserved area...)"

This card does not mention raising M€ production, do you increase it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guzmo wrote:
When you add city to map by playing action card, does it increase your Mega Credit production like when purchasing city from standard actions?

Examples:

Corporate Stronghold. "(Decrease your energy production 1 step and increase your M€ production 3 steps. Place a city tile)".

Urbanized Area. "(Decrease your energy production 1 step and increase your M€ production 2 steps...)"

Cards above mention M€ production increase. We have ruled that you don't get additional increase to your M€ production by the city itself.

Ganymede Colony. "(Place a city tile on the reserved area...)"

This card does not mention raising M€ production, do you increase it?

You only get the 1M€ production increase when using the standard project. When placing a city using a card you only get what it says on the card no more no less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
placing a city tile on the board and increasing your money production are two different benefit that you get from the standard project, you do not get that money production from cards. however more or less every card that let you place a city give you money production or other cool benefits like points or other productions.

so, the TL;DR would be: no, you only get what is written on the card.

edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curious as to why you would think you get more than what the card says
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

It's a common enough question. Apparently people assume that all cities are like the standard project city. And it does make sense in a way:

d10-1 I can pay 14 for a temperature increase and get a TR step. Or if I get a temperature increase some other way, I still get a TR step.

d10-2 I can pay 23 for a greenery to increase the oxygen and get a TR step. Or if I get a greenery some other way, I still increase oxygen and get a TR step.

d10-3 I can pay 18 for an ocean and get a TR step. Or if I get an ocean some other way, I still get a TR step.

d10-4 I can pay 25 for a city and get a MC production increase. But if I place a city some other way . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the TR increases are triggered by the ocean/O2/temp increase, it's not part of the standard project unlike the city placement effect. There is no "increase TR" icon next to the standard projects you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

It's a common enough question. Apparently people assume that all cities are like the standard project city. And it does make sense in a way:

d10-1 I can pay 14 for a temperature increase and get a TR step. Or if I get a temperature increase some other way, I still get a TR step.

d10-2 I can pay 23 for a greenery to increase the oxygen and get a TR step. Or if I get a greenery some other way, I still increase oxygen and get a TR step.

d10-3 I can pay 18 for an ocean and get a TR step. Or if I get an ocean some other way, I still get a TR step.

d10-4 I can pay 25 for a city and get a MC production increase. But if I place a city some other way . . .

standard rule for all games with cards: The card does what it says it does and doesn't do what it doesn't say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

Yeah, but look at the standard projects on the board... Raising heat, placing greenery, placing an ocean ONLY show that symbol (not "raise TR" symbol)... Simply just "raise the heat", the rules state that when you raise the temp you get a TR. The standard project for a city says "place a city", "get 1 Mc production".... There is nothing in the rules that says "when you place a city, increase your Mc 1"... These are two totally separate actions, with two totally different icons, that really have no relation to each other (except that they are both results of the city standard project).

It surprises me how often this question is asked, and I do not think that this is the fault of the game or the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:
It surprises me how often this question is asked, and I do not think that this is the fault of the game or the rules.

It is not an unreasonable question. That being said:

There is a standard project listed on the board. That standard project costs $25. It allows you to place a city on the board. It also increases your income by $1. These two things are not connected.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAP
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Standard projects are designed to be just a tad bit expensive, but the upshot is that they can be utilized at any time, so all players have a shared flexibility and a shared cost in this arena.

Standard projects are also a good way to gauge the value of cards, resources, and production values weighed against their costs. For example, one energy production increase is worth somewhere between 7 to 11 M€ throughout the game with the standard project being the higher end of that, but other cards can bring this down.

Ditto for all the other projects. For example: you can infer that one plant resource is worth 23 divided by 8 (2.875), and if you can get a better deal with other cards then great. An ocean is worth 18M€ at the high side, but a lot of cards will get you a better deal; so all of the Std.Prj. are good for a little mental math while you play.

In regards to your specific question, yes, the urban cards are a better deal than the Std.Prj. but keep in mind to add 11M€ (or so, perhaps if you've had it for awhile you can factor in some depreciation and the fact that you got some use out of it) to any card that requires you to sacrifice one energy production.

Standard Projects are really good for flexibility if you need to increase that Global Parameter right then and there (perhaps for a card requirement purpose or to snag one of the two bonus GP/TR increases or a bonus heat production) or if you really need to muscle in a tile placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.