Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Next War: Poland» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strategic Map Naval Movement - Standard Game (Operation Arctic Storm) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Kent
Australia
Narara
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this in preparation for playing Defense of the Baltics scenario.

I have seen earlier comments about the naval movement options for NATO, but still have a query.

Specifically to do an amphibious assault into Kurzeme or Zemaitija.

The setup is for 2 AMPH in Poland with the 82nd and the 101st ready to go.

Rule 8.5.6.3 lists the locations where naval units can move. Rule 8.5.6.4 says how they can move.

A naval unit can only go forward or backward along the list. There are 3 NATO movement segments to get into place.

So NATO initiative movement segment AMPH moves from Port to Inshore to Southern Baltic At Sea Area (but cannot move back to Inshore of either Kurzeme or Zemaitija. Is this correct?

Then in NATO Exploitation move, AMPH moves from At Sea Area to Inshore of either Kurzeme or Zemaitija.

Then finally in NATO Basic move, launches Amphibious Assault, which is then resolved in the following Combat phase.

Is this correct?

Ivan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual Amphibious Assault is conducted in the Combat Segment, but, essentially yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kent
Australia
Narara
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mitchell for the quick reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Following up on this, Ralph pointed out to me that I missed one key piece.

The only restriction on naval movement is that you can't enter more than on At Sea Box in a move. So, in your example, the AMPH could leave Port, enter the Inshore Box, enter the At Sea Box, and enter a new Inshore Box in a single move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kent
Australia
Narara
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't that sequence contradict that you go in only one direction on the list; the last "enter a new Inshore Box" isn't that working back down the list? Or up depending how you define moving along the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ivankent wrote:
Doesn't that sequence contradict that you go in only one direction on the list; the last "enter a new Inshore Box" isn't that working back down the list? Or up depending how you define moving along the list.

These rules. [censored].

Port -> Inshore Box -> At Sea Box -> Inshore Box

Up the scale and back down, so following the order strictly and still within the restriction of entering only a single At Sea Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
ivankent wrote:
Paragraph 2 in 8.5.6.4 never says you cannot go up and down the list in the same movement segment. It says you cannot skip Inshore from an All-Sea hex to get to an At Sea box. We can make the paragraph clearer in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kent
Australia
Narara
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mitchell and Ralph

I now understand, i had read the sentence as "they must move either forward OR backward". I now parse it differently given your feedback, so now the other threads on this topic make sense to me.

And so given that, i can get the Amphibious Assault into play one movement/combat phase earlier as i dont have to wait for a movement phase to enter an inshore box from the at sea box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.