Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I've played 4 games solo so far: Storm front on Apprentice, Wizard and Merlin modes and then Fool Moon on Merlin. All of them were comfortable wins before the Showdown.

From what others have posted this really shouldn't be the case, so I was hoping someone might know of a often missed rule that might be causing this irregularity.

I've watched 'One Stop Co-op Shop's playthrough twice and i can't see anything done there that I didn't do in my games.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you just get good deals? Sometimes, if the cards come out in a good order, you'll have an easier time of it.

Are you counting ties as a loss?

Maybe give a bit of a play summary... Or play a few more games, and see if it holds...

Storm Front is a little easier than some of the others. Try Proven Guilty if you want a tough one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is indeed possible to win before the shodown, depending on the initial setup, I think it will be rare to make it so consistently (I recently re-played the first book and it took me five tries to beat it).

A few things that come to mind that might affect this:

1) You are giving the three characters recomended for solo play more than the 6 cards they are supposed to have.

2) You are drawing cards after each turn (which you should not do, unless specifically instructed by a card).

3) You are considering ties a win (when you should have more cases solved than enemies left on the board).

Does any of this help at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joy Cohn
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
While it is indeed possible to win before the shodown, depending on the initial setup, I think it will be rare to make it so consistently (I recently re-played the first book and it took me five tries to beat it).

A few things that come to mind that might affect this:

1) You are giving the three characters recomended for solo play more than the 6 cards they are supposed to have.

2) You are drawing cards after each turn (which you should not do, unless specifically instructed by a card).

3) You are considering ties a win (when you should have more cases solved than enemies left on the board).

Does any of this help at all?

I agree.

After all, we want you to be as thoroughly discouraged as the rest of us.

Kidding! Just kidding! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to get the app and try playing it on solo mode. The app won’t let you accidentally break any rules, so you’ll be able to see if you had anything wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played solo giving 7 cards to each character (so, it's more like a 3-player game), and yet have still never won... The only game of DFCO I've won is when we played a 5 player game, and the others had some good combos and lucky die rolls.

This is VERY tough game, even when you cheat a bit and play with open hands or give a solo player extra cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, i'm an idiot!

I found the crucial mistake that was I making. In the rulebook I completely skipped over the blue box where it says you "discard your played cards". Yep, that unmissable blue box... blush Don't worry, i've just removed "attention for detail" from my resume.

Anyway I replayed last night, correctly discarding played cards, and on Easy setting it was really challenging!

Haha, thanks for your help everyone. A great game and is going to give me tonnes of gameplay now that it's punching back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you caught it. Happy fuego!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.