This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is there any strategy to this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Guigue
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple of games, and I cannot see anything I could do to mitigate luck. The day part is ok on this - some luck on closed doors, but nothing outrageous, still collect is just dumb: the location I visit does not matter, as all objects I can collect are either from the cards or from a dice roll where everything has a 10% chance. So is there anything I can do to improve my chance to find what I want, mostly food and water?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Mostardi
Canada
Vernon
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
There is luck to this game but there is also a lot of strategy. You might have skipped over the rule that says after scavenging you can bring back water wood and components each with weight 1. So if you struggle for water then you can do that. But the biggest thing is yo look at the fittings cards. The rainwater collecter is great to get water. And for food you could always build a deadfall trap or a stove.

There's lots of strategy to this game. But you also have to understand that it's hard. It wants to make everything punishing just like war
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can literally find as much water as you want when scavenging -- you can always find wood, components, or water. I know a few people have missed that rule and really, really struggled as a result.

The location matters considerably. Places that allow for trading can be your best friends when it comes to getting food -- I tend to prioritize those locations until they're unavailable, simply because the ability to turn the random things you've scavenged into things you actually want is such a lifesaver. A 10% (or better) chance of finding food on the special findings roll is still better than a 0% chance, plus there is an exploration card that lets you take your pick of available items. The number of exploration card absolutely matters, to the point where I'll usually go to the closest location unless there is something further out I really need. And checking out the types of map cards available at a location can also be really helpful, especially if you have access to lockpicks or sawblades. Being able to access harder-to-reach areas gets a lot more cards in the deck, and Basement Entrances especially will help out, especially if you cash them in when you've found a Pantry card.

If scavenging isn't getting you what you want, you can always invest in growing/cooking/trapping your own food back at the shelter. And the rainwater collector both helps gather water and free up your scavengers to carry more things back with them.

Honestly, while this game can involve brutal swings of luck, there's a lot that can be done to mitigate it. My people used to die horribly, and now I'm at a point where I can generally get most of the group through to the end, and in decent shape at that. Keep at it and hopefully enjoy the story no matter how it turns out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is there any strategy to this game?
A little addition to Pete's answer. It took me about 20 sessions playing the campaign to get to the point, when all the little things i tried in earlier games came together. With the last two sessions i managed to bring all three starting characters as well as a fourth one through the war - in pretty good shape. Winning TWoM combined with opening the little 'note' for winning the campaign made one of the best and most satisfying moments in my gaming life.

The most important things in my opinion are trading, neither being too cautios nor too bold during scavenging, and keeping your crew as fit as possible for the day actions (by clever use of food and/or beds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
draemond wrote:
But you also have to understand that it's hard batcrap crazy random, because, you know, ooh, ahh, war and such.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played the game about 4 times now I believe.
I finished the game positively 2 times.
Both times, I used the following to make it to the end:
- Board up, it's very important (holds down the cold enough to not really matter in most cases and stops a lot of nightraid pain)
- Always take the stuff with you on a scavange that doesn't weight anything... not only for trade (which IS important) but also to keep it safe from night raids
Those seem to be the most important things, next to the logical (build bed, keep your buddies happy and healthy, don't take too big of risks, avoid fighting if possible)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.