Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Why is this this game so good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know Why People Think x wing i such a great game the Reading i ask is i really want to try this game but im not a huge fan of star Wars ( do i have to be a fan before i Think its a great game)

Why is this game so popular?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Liking it helps in some ways and probably hurts in others (wondering why the namesake ship is unplayable.)

Find someone to try it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mann
United States
Saint Helens
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics of the game are sound, but I love Star Wars and that's the main draw for me. X-Wing is actually based off of the Wings of Glory game line, which features historical airplanes in a WWI or WWII setting. If a historical theme would be more interesting to you, Wings of Glory might be worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McElfresh
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure other people will have their own favorite things, but for me it's the movement that's so great. Flying an ace and getting a perfect range 1 shot while avoiding the opponents' arcs feels great. I wish there were more ships with curved barrel roll effects like the StarViper Mk. II, the TIE Interceptor, and the TIE Phantom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
X-wing at it's best is as a competitive tournament game, which would play in about an hour, and on a 3' x 3' table. That meant that you could easily get five rounds of swiss in a day, and use the same tables as a M:TG tournament, so you could easily get 20+ people into even a fairly small space.

Now... I personally think that X-wing has passed that stage a long time ago, and I don't really see a way back. Still, the above is all still true, it's just that the game doesn't hit any of the design buttons that I'm looking for in a competitive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many reasons why I like X-Wing.

. 40 years ago I saw Star Wars, and since then I have always wanted to jump into the cockpit of an X-Wing, or the Millennium Falcon, and have an adventure;

. as others have mentioned, the rules are sound;

. three factions to choose from (five, if you separate out the New Order and the Resistance from the Empire and the Rebellion, respectively...);

. a diverse range of ships to fly;

. different ways to play, such as straight out dogfights, mission based scenarios, ongoing campaigns, and one-on-one battles, or massive battles between two groups of players;

. a game that is very much “alive” at present;

. a world-wide community of players;

. solo play, if you use third party add-ons, such as “The Heroes of the Arturi Cluster;

. a really nice set of pre-painted miniatures, unlike some other games that use this system *cough* Star Trek: Attack Wing *cough*;

. to-scale miniatures (with the exception of EPIC scale ships, which are scaled down once again, so they will fit on the table...). All the small and large ships are in scale to each other, so your X-Wings, TIE Fighters, and Millennium Falcon are all the right size, unlike some other games that use the same system *cough* Star Trek: Attack Wing *cough*.

Those are my highlights.

But if Star Wars is not your thing, it might not be for you. Find a local group, sit in, play a few games, and see if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McCauley
United States
Mountville (Lancaster County)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Star Wars, but I preferred watching Star Trek growing up. I have been drawn to miniature games ever since I was introduced to them as a kid.

Reasons I like X-Wing

Pre-painted miniatures (like Mechwarrior, but unlike WH40K & WHFB). I just don't want to dedicate so much time to modeling/painting before being able to play with the miniatures.

Easy to get started. It's convenient to have pre-built lists to hand to interested newbies.

Not that expensive to play. One doesn't need a lot of ships to get started and our group will lend ships to each other.

Play time. One game of WH40K or WHFB might take 3-4 hours. I can fit in a lot more games of X-Wing.

I'm not a tournament player and my group just likes to fly fun lists. Nobody runs Poe with Regen. We like to laugh at piloting errors and unlucky dice rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nestyr wrote:

. to-scale miniatures (with the exception of EPIC scale ships, which are scaled down once again, so they will fit on the table...). All the small and large ships are in scale to each other, so your X-Wings, TIE Fighters, and Millennium Falcon are all the right size

I've heard this, but wonder how true it is in the case of the Falcon. I was watching the original films the other day, and it occurred to me that as a TIE flew passed the Falcon's satellite dish thingy, that the Falcon seems so much bigger than the game scales it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 reason I love this game is how great it captures the feel of Star Wars for me, even the newer movies. Like when Poe does his Talon Roll in The Last Jedi, I was thinking X-Wing! The only thing this game is missing is some kind of Shield mechanic that allowed you to rotate shields to different quadrants on the ship. But I think adding that would make the game needlessly complicated.

#2 Simplicity: The mechanics of the game are incredibly easy to grasp. I can explain how to play in 5 minutes. Yes, as the meta grew, smaller upgrades started making it a requirement to understand the meta, but the basic mechanics are very, very simple.

#3 Bluffing (Maneuvering): I absolutely love this part of the game. Trying to outguess where your opponent is going to go, and also make him think twice on where you're going to go. I love how the maneuvers are all about bluffing.

#4 Fairly solid meta: Lastly, even after so many years, the meta tends to play very well. Some of the earlier ships are still very usable. I love using Y-Wings, a Wave 1 ship, and can usually find a build within the current meta that they are good plays.

I should also add quality of ships, but that kind of goes in line with #1, the Star Wars experience.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathmvp Deathmvp
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love the tatics of the game. The planing part of each round can easly make or break your game even when the sides are not balanced. Trieing to thing of what the other player will do and counter it before seeing how it all playes out is great.

I also loved it as my one son (older at that) sucks at things like this so to play a balanced game with him I can just let him get a unfair advantage like a 100point vs 150 point or 200point. This puts us on a equal ground and we both can have fun playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you lose, you have just watched a brief Star Wars movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.