Hide
4 Posts

The Institute for Magical Arts» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simultaneous stone casting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Konigsberg
msg tools
It seems peculiar that the rules allow for both players to cast stones at the same time. (Page 8, bottom.) What stops one player from waiting to see what their opponent does?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but what happens simultaneously is the assigning of face-down cards (e.g. cast stones, take stones) to certain positions. Once both players have assigned their four cards and are ready, the cards are then revealed, and then players do the actions they've selected. There's no opportunity to wait and see what your opponent does before making your own decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rkonigsberg wrote:
It seems peculiar that the rules allow for both players to cast stones at the same time. (Page 8, bottom.) What stops one player from waiting to see what their opponent does?

Hi Robert. As mentioned by Nick, the casting of the stones is determined by the assignment of cards. Players roll dice at the same time, assign their cards to the dice at the same time, then, when both players are ready, they reveal their cards. Since the cards and dice determine what happens, the placement of stones is already determined by the assignment of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Konigsberg
msg tools
Ah yes, of course. That makes sense.

Just a point, "what happens simultaneously" also applies to casting stones, as the rules on page 8 say, "Both players simultaneously cast stones, i.e., place Power Stones from their personal supply..."

I just didn't want you to think I made that up.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.