Popular Tags: [View All]
Nuno Gonzalez
Portugal
Estoril
PORTUGAL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

Today I tried to play my first Simple GBoH (2nd Ed) game, the Bagradas scenario.

During my turn as Roman I activated the Vélites ("J" light Inf) line with the intention of move towards the line of enemy elephants and simultaneously make shot against them.

A lot of trouble and discussion happens intepreting the Missile Fire option to my roman vélites (and to all others J Light infantry missile capablity on the system).

In 7.1 (Missile Fire) says that Skirmisher (SK/SK*) with "J" missile indicator may fire when active by using Hit and Run tactics and when inactive may fire using Return Fire, But only if they are the target of a Hit and Run [fire] attack by another "J" unit.

In 7.11 Says that the Active player may conduct Missile Fire with each eligible active unit during the Movement/Missile Fire phase. The activated unit may a) Fire»Move or, b) Move»Fire or, c) Move»Fire»Move.

My opponent said that by the new edition of SGBoH the Light Infantry (velites) and "J" skirmishers (and as he understand by 7.1 missile paragraph) had lost the missile fire capablity and could only use the javelin fire as active formation in Hit and Run Tactics (only if starting 2 hexes from the enemy and spending all mps)

I though this limitation puts the velites in a somewhat useless situation (?!)

This is probably due to a text Reading misunderstanding...

I come to this forum to ask if someone can clarify me about the Missile Fire capablity of "J" light Infantry during their active movement/missile phase AND during their inactive phase in reaction to enemy movement using the 2nd Edition of Simple GBoH.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of the 2nd edition rules is that J units cannot missile fire unless of type LI/LP, SK/SK* or LC and then using Hit and Run only.

Velites are LI so they can hit and run but not engage in 'normal' missile fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Gonzalez
Portugal
Estoril
PORTUGAL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

This is a substantial difference from the previous version of the rules.

Before, the Light infantry played the role of harassing the oponent formations but Now with 2nd version its function is very reduced not to say annulled.

For exemple in our game (Bagradas) the roman player activate the Velite (LI) line, hold the line two hexes away from the formation of elephants (hoping to shoot with Hit and Run next activation) only to be swept away with the following elephant activation!

I'm new to the system and probably I'm not getting the subtlety in Light infantry / skirmish tactics of the 2nd ed.(?)

To say the truth I'm not realizing what the utility of the Light Infantry in the Simple GBoH 2nd ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
msg tools
I have exactly the same question that Nuno. Velites are now totally useless with this rules or maybe we don't understand the 7.1 rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But Velites can Hit and Run right? That doesn't make them completely useless. That's kind of what, based on some brief research, Velites did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
msg tools
Yes they just can use Hit And Run. And I think it's quiet useless because it's rare to have units at 2 hexes from them. At the beginning of the turn they are too far away and then, they move and they become adjcent. It's the case for the elephants on Bagradas Plains.

At the Zama battle, roman legion split to make path for the elephants and velites shot on their flank. It's impossible to do this with that rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Zorngottes wrote:
Yes they just can use Hit And Run. And I think it's quiet useless because it's rare to have units at 2 hexes from them. At the beginning of the turn they are too far away and then, they move and they become adjcent. It's the case for the elephants on Bagradas Plains.

At the Zama battle, roman legion split to make path for the elephants and velites shot on their flank. It's impossible to do this with that rules.

I think they are more useful than you are giving them credit for.

Velites can retreat before combat - so they can move close and hit and run. Slower Units try to attack them then they retreat before combat, and do more hit and run attacks in their turn. This simulates nicely the harassing tactics of velites.

*edit - this is against other infantry. Hit and run can’t be done against cavalry - are elephants considered cavalry? I also think elephants are faster so non-skirmishers can’t retreat before combat, again I am not sure if Velites are skirmishers or LI in this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.