Hide
4 Posts

Heart of Crown» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 Player Setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Houndstooth
msg tools
Rule book recommends using a variant for 2 player games with the 2 rare cards removed from the market. An earlier translation I saw says to remove just 1 - Imperial Capital. Is there a general consensus whether these cards should be left in the game or removed when playing with 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rizza
msg tools
Not sure about a general consensus, but I play mostly 2 player games... I find that the including the rare cards can make the game end much more quickly, because whoever ends up buying either (or both!) of the rare cards often wins the whole game. At first, i preferred 2 player games without the Rare cards, but I've started playing with a set with attack cards that slow down the game (Scout, Exiled Monster, Bribery, Gossipy Duchess) and no defense cards and I've found it balanced out the landslide victories the rare cards facilitated. Haven't tried a game where we only omitted the capital though.

In short, if you want a quicker, economic focused 2player game play with rare cards; if you want a slower, strategic game omit both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the rare cards limit the card options. It doesn’t have a large effect in 3-4 play games as players are buying cards. With only two players, not as many cards are bought. Having the rare cards would exacerbate this stagnation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Goard
South Korea
flag msg tools
dcorban wrote:
I find that the rare cards limit the card options. It doesn’t have a large effect in 3-4 play games as players are buying cards. With only two players, not as many cards are bought. Having the rare cards would exacerbate this stagnation.

I agree. Even without the rare cards, there are quite a few games where the action market "stalls out" because neither player wants the opponent to have a shot at a particular card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.